HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2007, 12:26 AM
just a rumour
Joined Jun 2006
876 Posts
Discussion
Standard Libelle 201 B ~ 2m ws

While I was drooling over the various ~2m ws Pilatus B4 models that Europe has to offer I came across this semi scale model of the Glasflugel Libelle. It is currently made by Sabine Rippin who bought the molds from Voester (hearsay).

Sabine's site has a lot of other attractive models. You just have to toggle the two boxes at the top of that page. "Home" toggled to "Segelflugzeuge" opens a new box displaying "Rubrik wahlen!", select "Segelflugzeuge" in this box.

I used Google translate to communicate with Sabine. It's a pain to use but it works mostly. I had to keep sentences simple. Be sure to translate your phrases back to German using the tranlator to check that your sentences make sense. You have to rewrite sentences using different words sometimes to get Google tranlate to relay the meaning properly..

I was wondering if anyone else had one of these 2m beauties? It would be nice to see some more pics of the model, it has lovely lines. I would be interested to hear about flight characteristics from others.

Mine should get to me in "8-12 days" but I'll give it 5 days extra for South African customs to stand on the box and leave bite marks on the fragile bits :shrug:

If no one else has already done a build on the forum, I will put up a build/assembly sequence here.

Translated from German using Google Tranlator
2000 mm, semi-Scale sailors
A beautiful thermals sailors. Top Small slope and thermal sailors!

Kit content:
Hull, size, unit, instruction and small parts, etc.

Technical data:
Wingspan: 2010 mm
Hull Length: 855 mm
Wings content: 22.9 qdm;
HLW content: 3.1 qdm;
Weight: 800 g
Surface loading from: 34.9 g / qdm;
Pattern: Ritz / Strak
HLW Profile: vollsym.

RC-Funktionen: H / S / Q / KU

As I understand it the wing is foam core obechi veneer, fuselage is fibreglass. Controls, ailerons, rudder, elevator.
Drusky is offline Find More Posts by Drusky
Last edited by Drusky; Nov 24, 2007 at 04:37 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2007, 11:14 AM
bie
maidenflight-postponer
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
787 Posts
Hi there,

it’s the guy from Germany again...

Andrew, you’re right, the controls are elevator, rudder, ailerons plus (if you want to aero tow) a tow release (short: KU = Kupplung).

Recently there was a discussion in german message board rc-network.de on the Glasflügel Standard Libelle as well as on the Glasflügel Rennlibelle, that Piotr Piechowski just started to offer here (go to the "Shop" and then to "Segelflugmodelle" - the shop seems to appear in german though you can enter it via the english-version-door).

The Rennlibelle is an all moulded model with 2.58 m wingspan. It’s the one with the "flat" canopy (you posted a picture above). So don’t mix up those both types...

Any way: I’m interested in your experiences with the Standard-Libelle.

Please keep us informed.

And by the way: By now you know someone who can do a little translation english-german and vice versa if needed. PM me in case...

Andy
bie is offline Find More Posts by bie
Old Nov 23, 2007, 02:25 PM
just a rumour
Joined Jun 2006
876 Posts
Thanks Andy you rock!
Old Jan 14, 2008, 11:06 AM
just a rumour
Joined Jun 2006
876 Posts
Now for your help/intervention.
  • I will mount carbonite geared HS-65 servos in the wings and fuse for the rudder and elevator.
  • I will buy a bellcrank for the elevator and install this before closing the back end with balsa sheet 1/4" thick
  • I will lightly sand down the mould ridges and polish the seam smooth with burnishing compound. The model will receive a lick of red paint on the fuse in strategic areas to improve visibility.
  • I will use neodynium magnets to hold the wings on and other removable bits like the canopy.
  • I will consider painting the wings and stabs with automotive 2K, instead of covering with white monocote.
  • I need to see if I can find or make a reasonable looking pilot and organise a bit of a cockpit.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 01:38 PM
"To Fly is Everything"
athens georgia
Joined Dec 2006
280 Posts
nice model of the libby but i couldnt find the kit on his site
britchris is offline Find More Posts by britchris
Old Jan 17, 2008, 08:41 AM
just a rumour
Joined Jun 2006
876 Posts
How would you fix this misalignment?

The spar holes don't line up. So the leading edge of the one wing will be about 4mm behind the leading edge of the other. I'd hate to dig the spar tube out because there is dihedral in the wing that would need to be reset

Suggestions please.

Sabine's advice is as follows but it doesn't really make sense to me:

Hallo das ist kein Problem
Nasenleiste etwas abschleifen bei einem Flügel
und bei dem anderen die Enleiste
und anpassen.

The Google Translation

Hello this is not a problem
Nasal strip to polish something of a wing
And the other the Enleiste
And adapt.
Last edited by Drusky; Jan 17, 2008 at 08:47 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 12:21 PM
"To Fly is Everything"
athens georgia
Joined Dec 2006
280 Posts
ahhh the old nasal strip ploy huh?.....
britchris is offline Find More Posts by britchris
Old Jan 17, 2008, 01:05 PM
just a rumour
Joined Jun 2006
876 Posts
Lost in translation ;)

LOL, Andy (Bie) kindly translated Sabine's solution for me:
Quote:
Hi,

no problem: Just sand the Leading Edge on one winghalf and the Trailing
Edge on the other just a little bit to adapt both winghalfs.
Simple solution, should work. All other allignment, appears to be in order.

This is such a beautiful design.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 04:52 PM
flo
Near Munich Germany
Joined May 2003
961 Posts
Hi there.
Sabine simply suggests to sand the LE on one wing and TE of the other wing until alignement is reached.

As you mentioned missalignement is aprox 4mm this will need to shorten the LE of one wing 2mm and 2mm of TE of the other wing.

really should be manageble

hope this helps

Greets
flo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusky

Hallo das ist kein Problem
Nasenleiste etwas abschleifen bei einem Flügel
und bei dem anderen die Enleiste
und anpassen.

The Google Translation

Hello this is not a problem
Nasal strip to polish something of a wing
And the other the Enleiste
And adapt.
flo is offline Find More Posts by flo
Old Jun 25, 2008, 04:00 AM
just a rumour
Joined Jun 2006
876 Posts
Well, I never bothered with the nasal strip mod. Just covered everything and plugged it all together. I did however drill the hole for the wingspari n a location on the fuselage that would make the offset wings less obvious. Nothing drastic, just a little off center. Now neither of the wings quite line up

Herewith a short clip of the maiden flight. She is a bit slow on the roll, as the ailerons aren't full length. The model is fast and climbs very well. She is very pitch sensitive, something which probably has a lot to do with the fact that the CG might be a bit far back. CG is set at 48mm. I might chuck another bit of lead in there. Due to this CG stalling at level flight can seem tricky. If you have any rudder, aileron input in the stall she will whip around violently and drop a few feet. I realize this sounds bad but it really isn't recoveries are quick provided you don't panic, it is important to get the speed up asap after a stall. Trying to climb in a panic would be baaaad. As the model stands now I'd say it is good for intermediate to advanced piloting skills.

I will play around with that CG and report back. Also on my list to do is add some colour, Plain white is a bit of a bastage. I'll lick some red in there when I get a chance to make her more visible. Also must work on the rates on my tx over time, they're a bit wild

I love the lines of this model
Standard LIbelle 201 B (0 min 53 sec)

Not much of a vid but it is something. Taken with my Canon IXUS 850is camera, sorry about the quality of the footage. I will get a decent cam involved in the next outing where I will try to demonstrate flight performance properly.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 04:09 AM
just a rumour
Joined Jun 2006
876 Posts

Old Jun 25, 2008, 08:24 AM
Joined Jul 2004
2,579 Posts
very nice it looks like a handy sized model and would tow beutifully behind either the e-flite pawnee or the hanger 9 pawnee.....mmmmm
Big Nuts 181 is offline Find More Posts by Big Nuts 181
Old Jun 25, 2008, 08:58 AM
just a rumour
Joined Jun 2006
876 Posts
Thanks, just had a go at it with a rattle can this afternoon:

Last edited by Drusky; Jun 25, 2008 at 10:20 AM.