HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2007, 11:58 PM
Joined Oct 2007
545 Posts
Build Log
Dumas Little Shelley Foss - 100% complete

Hello to everyone once again! I have started another build. This one is the wooden "Little Shelley Foss" Tug kit from Dumas. I have gotten the frame work of the hull started and was wanting to know if anyone has any pictures of the bottom of this hull after completion? I am alittle confussed about the planking process of the bottom of the hull and was hoping that a picture would be helpfull, the directions are very very vague about this. I will get some pictures of the progress posted soon. Any help is greatly appreciated as this is my first wood boat "kit".
boat_builder is offline Find More Posts by boat_builder
Last edited by boat_builder; Jul 07, 2008 at 11:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2007, 12:11 AM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,570 Posts
do you want pictures of the inside or the outside of the hull?

I have a finished 24" shelley foss that I can take whatever pictures you need.

Tim
tsenecal is offline Find More Posts by tsenecal
Old Nov 23, 2007, 05:50 PM
Joined Oct 2007
545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsenecal
do you want pictures of the inside or the outside of the hull?

I have a finished 24" shelley foss that I can take whatever pictures you need.

Tim
Fantastic!!! I really need some of the bottom of the hull. I'm alittle unsure of where to start laying the planking in relation to the Keel at the front and back and how it is supposed to lay. The directions/blue prints aren't that great at giving this info.. Any shots of the deck around the outside edges in the front and back as well will be of great help as well. If you wouldn't mind post some of the inside as well, that way I can get a good idea of the motor mounting, battery placement, stuffing tube placement, rudders, ect.. I really appreciate you willing to come forth to lend a hand! Your time is very much appreciated and I can't seem to find any pics I need anywhere online. Thank you in advance!!
Old Nov 25, 2007, 12:06 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,680 Posts
Rave - 24 inch SHELLEY FOSS - small package/big push

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thought I would post some pics of a project tug I built last year with some interesting simple electronics that turned a standard running tug into a show stopper, especially on the precision steering course. The model is twin screw running twin MACK MARINE MOTOR-GEARBOXES #1885G, running from one PROBOAT electronic speed control for both motors. The trick used was in the relay reversing of the port or starboard motor when the rudder was placed to hard port or starboard and full trim at the same time to port or starboard. With the additional servo throw with the trims, the steering servo arm hits a momentary switch for the, either, port or starboard reversing relay and motor. What this does, in fact, is make the tug pivot to the port or starboard instantly. Since both motors are running from the same speed control they are also running at the exact same rpm's which allows for the perfect pivot turn. The model also has working running lights and horn and battery power to run for over 4 hours at full power. The model carries 10 "D" size NI-CAD's which gives 12 volts at 5 amp. supply. The interior of the pilot house was super detailed with interior lighting. The model runs 2 counter rotating DUMAS 1 3/4" 3 blade props which run with 2 to 1 reduction gears. The pulling/pushing power of this tug is not to believed. She will hold her own with tugs much larger than her and will surely show them up for maneuvering.
Attached Thumbnails 53.3 KB Views: 80
46.6 KB Views: 60
47.3 KB Views: 70
60.5 KB Views: 53
50.0 KB Views: 65
112.4 KB Views: 65
99.9 KB Views: 41
90.8 KB Views: 82

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by frankg : Dec 12, 2005 at 11:23 PM. Reason: title is wrong

frankg is online now Find More Posts by frankg
Old Nov 25, 2007, 12:12 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,680 Posts
Sorry guys- I thought I could bring up the pictures from a back page of this forum. I tried but it did not work so the pictures are on page #73 of this forum.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 12:41 PM
master boat slacker
USA, NY, Mastic Beach
Joined Feb 2006
568 Posts
i can only go back 7 pages?
bigford is offline Find More Posts by bigford
Old Nov 25, 2007, 01:59 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,104 Posts
Frank, if you link the thread, or click on the number of the post in the thread, you can link the thread, or post directly. Then we can go to see the images.

Bigford,
On the bottom left corner of the forum page, there is a box that will allow you to select how far back the posts will be listed. I think the default is one month. You can set it to days, weeks, months, or "the beginning"
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Nov 25, 2007, 07:42 PM
Joined Oct 2007
545 Posts
Well, This is where the project stands as of right now. I'm pretty sure I did it right so far but the directions are very unclear so hopefully it will all come together fine. There's about 2-3hrs worth of work here.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 08:51 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,104 Posts
The hull looks good.

If the fiberglass does not fall through the frames, and the water doesn't leak through the hull,...

You probably got it right.
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Nov 25, 2007, 08:59 PM
Joined Oct 2007
545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umi_Ryuzuki
The hull looks good.

If the fiberglass does not fall through the frames, and the water doesn't leak through the hull,...

You probably got it right.

I hear that. I will fiberglass the hull after it's built for strength and to seal it really good. I haven't decided on the motors for it yet. I do know that I'm not going to use Dumas' suggested brass gear train that they offer. I will use one motor per prop.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 10:36 PM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,570 Posts
boat_builder,

sorry it took so long to get back to you...

here are three photos, hope they help...

my hull was fibreglassed after the planking.

I also didn't use the dumas gear train, I can take photos of that as well. I used the Graupner 400 size gearbox and propshaft combo available at hobby-lobby, then upgraded to brushless.

just remember that the plywood planks are made over sized so they need to be trimmed down after being glued on.

If i remember correctly, the very frontmost bay of the bow above the waterline was so difficult to bend the plywood, that I just cut it off at the first bulkhead, and filled that area with balsa block.

Tim
Old Nov 25, 2007, 11:17 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,680 Posts
UMI- I have been trying to link the thread to no avail, you will have to talk me thru the procedure to do it.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 11:16 AM
Joined Oct 2007
545 Posts
Quote:
boat_builder,

sorry it took so long to get back to you...

here are three photos, hope they help...

my hull was fibreglassed after the planking.

I also didn't use the dumas gear train, I can take photos of that as well. I used the Graupner 400 size gearbox and propshaft combo available at hobby-lobby, then upgraded to brushless.

just remember that the plywood planks are made over sized so they need to be trimmed down after being glued on.

If i remember correctly, the very frontmost bay of the bow above the waterline was so difficult to bend the plywood, that I just cut it off at the first bulkhead, and filled that area with balsa block.

Tim
I got the front pretty much figured out with the planks, I have both PL-1 and PL-2 in place and am about ready for PL-4 then PL-3. It was pretty hard getting the wood to bend up front, but if you have a strong set of clamps you can get it to bend anyway you want almost. I need to make the block for the front of the hull, but I'm not really looking forward to it. I may be able to use my router on it to speed up the proccess so it may not be too bad though. She's getting there, slowly but surely.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 12:18 PM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,570 Posts
boat_builder,

I found at my hobby shop a sanding block that was a round cardboard tube about 1" in diameter and 3" long, with 50 grit sand paper on it. that is what I used to shape the bow block.

the link for the drive units I used:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/scaledrives.htm

towards the bottom of the page is:
GR1039 Multispeed 380 Boat Drive

I used two of those
Old Nov 26, 2007, 06:23 PM
Joined Oct 2007
545 Posts
Quote:
boat_builder,

I found at my hobby shop a sanding block that was a round cardboard tube about 1" in diameter and 3" long, with 50 grit sand paper on it. that is what I used to shape the bow block.

the link for the drive units I used:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/scaledrives.htm

towards the bottom of the page is:
GR1039 Multispeed 380 Boat Drive

I used two of those
Looks pretty good, what size of props are you running and what kind of runtime do you get with what type of batteries? What kind of power does the boat have with that set-up? Does the drive units have bearings or bushings to support the gears and inards?

I have the second set of planks (PL-2) on now, I'll get some pics of it on here later tonight.