Old Aug 25, 2008, 07:38 PM
RB #2
Lake of The Ozarks
Joined Jul 2006
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heligrom
great flying plane, the tang is.

friend of mine had it (i helped him get it ready to go). started off with an old 40 LA in it and that would chug it around at 3/4s throttle. strapped a 55AX in there and she really ripped!! unlimited everything.

really fun plane to bang around and great for the price. i'm gonna have to get one when my tribute 36 with a 46 AX in it gives out
I run a TT .46 Pro with an apc 11x5 on mine an it just screams. It'll go vertical up higher than I can see.

On high rates (ailerons) it looks like a high speed drill bit when its headed up.

Ron
The Toolman is offline Find More Posts by The Toolman
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2008, 03:31 PM
Joined Nov 2006
687 Posts
Does this plane hover well? I've got aTT Pro .46 sitting around now.
ndb8fxe is offline Find More Posts by ndb8fxe
Old Nov 11, 2008, 07:17 PM
RB #2
Lake of The Ozarks
Joined Jul 2006
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndb8fxe
Does this plane hover well? I've got aTT Pro .46 sitting around now.

Well...so so..If you can hover a profile, you can hover this plane

Ron
what the heck was wrong with this post
Last edited by The Toolman; May 05, 2009 at 09:50 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2008, 06:28 AM
Joined Jul 2006
273 Posts
The Tango will hover, oh yes it will. In fact, You can do it while rotating in a good head wind. Just be ready for the ground handling and possible torque roll on rotation, as that's the one tricky part of flying this critter. It can make a Phoenix Decathlon look tame, but it's great once you get it down.

NorfolkSouthern
NorfolkSouthern is offline Find More Posts by NorfolkSouthern
Old Dec 05, 2008, 02:39 PM
Joined May 2007
79 Posts
The universal Tango

I just found this thread. The Tango is my No2 plane. I use it to run in new engines and its always in the car with my latest creation. It's lost much of its skin over the year I've had it but she always comes home. I chopped off the nose cheeks, so its a flat front end. Since then I've run her on:

Saito FA-82a (2 of them)
Saito FA-100
OS FP .40 with Davis diesel conversion
RCV .60
OS FS.48 Surpass

best performance is on an FA 82 with 13x7 APC.

Interesting foibles:

With a power on flat spin left established, continue ease in right aileron until you have full on. Then ease off rudder until its neutral. At half throttle you'll still be in a very slow left flat spin. Now ease in about 3 degrees of up flap. The plane will slowly flat spin upwards. That's on the .82.

On take off the plane will try to swing wildly at full throttle if you don't correct it with rudder as with many tail draggers. If you don't correct, it'll actually get one wingtip on the ground very gently. At the second it touches, back off to 1/2 throttle and apply about 1/4 top rudder. The plane will pinwheel around its wingtip and remain stable doing it. Don't ask how I found this out To get out of it, rudder off, opposite aileron and full throttle will haul it off.

It doesn't knife edge worth a damn, but roll 90, top rudder and full down will get a rapid knife edge bunt around the cg.

It does lots of other wierd and wonderfuls but these are my favourites.

It makes running in engines interesting
Derek Hannan is offline Find More Posts by Derek Hannan
Old Dec 08, 2008, 10:21 PM
Joined Jul 2006
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Hannan
I just found this thread. The Tango is my No2 plane. I use it to run in new engines and its always in the car with my latest creation. It's lost much of its skin over the year I've had it but she always comes home. I chopped off the nose cheeks, so its a flat front end. Since then I've run her on:

Saito FA-82a (2 of them)
Saito FA-100
OS FP .40 with Davis diesel conversion
RCV .60
OS FS.48 Surpass

best performance is on an FA 82 with 13x7 APC.

Interesting foibles:

With a power on flat spin left established, continue ease in right aileron until you have full on. Then ease off rudder until its neutral. At half throttle you'll still be in a very slow left flat spin. Now ease in about 3 degrees of up flap. The plane will slowly flat spin upwards. That's on the .82.

On take off the plane will try to swing wildly at full throttle if you don't correct it with rudder as with many tail draggers. If you don't correct, it'll actually get one wingtip on the ground very gently. At the second it touches, back off to 1/2 throttle and apply about 1/4 top rudder. The plane will pinwheel around its wingtip and remain stable doing it. Don't ask how I found this out To get out of it, rudder off, opposite aileron and full throttle will haul it off.

It doesn't knife edge worth a damn, but roll 90, top rudder and full down will get a rapid knife edge bunt around the cg.

It does lots of other wierd and wonderfuls but these are my favourites.

It makes running in engines interesting
Maybe I should add about 1/2 ounce to the tail of mine. I know the Tango is fameous for its flat spin, but I haven't had mine do that yet.

NorfolkSouthern
NorfolkSouthern is offline Find More Posts by NorfolkSouthern
Old Dec 29, 2008, 07:01 PM
Lawn Dart Pilot
USA, Mt, Miles City
Joined Dec 2006
89 Posts
Seen the Tango thread, thought I would chime in. The biggest plus to this airframe, would be to add 8"-10" to the fuse length. I think that would really smooth this plane out during knife edges, snap rolls, ect. I have a Saito 72 in mine. Just right for power. All in all a fun airplane. Invert flat spins are really fun with this bird. It did cost me a new fuse.......I guess the ground was closer then I thought.............LOL
406Joe is offline Find More Posts by 406Joe
Old Dec 29, 2008, 08:04 PM
Joined Nov 2006
687 Posts
What causes the poor ground handling of this airplane? I can't see what it could be.
ndb8fxe is offline Find More Posts by ndb8fxe
Old Dec 29, 2008, 08:20 PM
Lawn Dart Pilot
USA, Mt, Miles City
Joined Dec 2006
89 Posts
I think it's the same as the flying..........the short fuse. If you throw a lot of expo in the rudder it helps. I'm flying with a Futaba 6exap and have -40 rudder expo. Thinking about going a little more. The bird is really touchy on the tail.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 09:08 PM
RB #2
Lake of The Ozarks
Joined Jul 2006
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndb8fxe
What causes the poor ground handling of this airplane? I can't see what it could be.

I don't have a bit of trouble with this plane taking off. Just blip the rudder once in awhile to keep it straight on T.O. an away she goes....

Ron
Old Dec 29, 2008, 09:21 PM
Lawn Dart Pilot
USA, Mt, Miles City
Joined Dec 2006
89 Posts
I agree takeoff is full throttle and go! What is everyone programming? The computer Tx is the only way to go...........agree?????????
Old Jan 03, 2009, 07:07 PM
Joined Jan 2009
3 Posts
Year-Round Tango-er

Have been flying my Tango for well over a year now and am having a ball with it Didn't take off the decals initially , to use my moniker on it's sides. but with well over 200 flights on a super reliable OS55AX, the fuel excess from flopping around up at altitude, has taken it's toll. Anyone with a brand new Tango should seriously seal every Ultracoat seam they can find. I'm ready to strip mine but I'm having too much fun flying it....rather fly than build / repair.. . Mojave desert flying is the best...just have to adjust start times from summer and winter....worst things are no floats and no ski setups

New here so hope to see you guys around NT12
nt12TANGOwith is offline Find More Posts by nt12TANGOwith
Old Jan 03, 2009, 07:18 PM
Lawn Dart Pilot
USA, Mt, Miles City
Joined Dec 2006
89 Posts
NT12, Welcome to RcGroups! I don't think I could do the summer Mojave season, but the high today in Montana was -2.
Old Jan 03, 2009, 07:34 PM
Joined Jan 2009
3 Posts
just an acclimation thing and after 37 years here I guess I know how to stay cool....it's this winter stuff I dread it was 43 degrees at the fiel this morning Thanks for the welcome to RC Groups
nt12TANGOwith is offline Find More Posts by nt12TANGOwith
Old Jan 03, 2009, 07:49 PM
Lawn Dart Pilot
USA, Mt, Miles City
Joined Dec 2006
89 Posts
43............hehehe T-shirt weather! I personally can't wait for spring. I got a thread going on Winter flying.........http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=974969