HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 16, 2002, 04:33 AM
Throttle,,What's that?
Joined Sep 2002
399 Posts
F-106 Delta Dart

Anyone else growup near an AFB and hear one of these comming at ya taking off? It's a sound i still remember. Ill never forget that whine it made and then shooting right over my head at maybe 400, 500 feet
dirtdiver is offline Find More Posts by dirtdiver
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2002, 08:27 AM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,335 Posts
We used to have a bunch of those at Elmendorf in the '60s and early '70s. Then many got replaced by F4s. The F4s were pretty loud too. They liked to play with the afterburners.

You gonna model one?
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Old Dec 16, 2002, 09:12 AM
Winnipeg Intl, Canada
Joined Mar 2002
662 Posts
I recall being at a joint civil/military airbase in either Montana or North Dakota about 20 years ago and was tying down the Piper Navajo that I was flying.

Was about 300 feet from the runway during a 106 takeoff and he lit the burner right beside us. It was amazing......there was a large roar from the engine during normal takeoff power settings, then when he lit the burner, which caused total silence for a fraction of a second, followed by a slap to the chest and face from the shockwave and a HUGE amount of noise!

You could feel the shockwave as if somebody had punched you.

Still recall how weird it was to hear total silence which was long enough for you to wonder "what's wrong?" before the thing kicked in with a big boom.

Pretty darned impressive.

Lee Smith
Radioguy is offline Find More Posts by Radioguy
Old Dec 16, 2002, 11:15 AM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
They used to fly them out of Camarillo. The run way parallels the freeway, and I loved the mach-diamonds that formed in the exhaust cone... Our house is near the top of a hill, and during strong winds, we were on approach. They would go knife-edge at the top and drop out of the sky. I could see the pilots faces (I always waved hoping they would wave back).

I built a Jetex-50 powered model of one (plans were in Boys Life if I remember correctly). It flew pretty good...
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Old Dec 16, 2002, 02:26 PM
BillBowne
n/a Posts
My first assignment, after Weather School, was Griffiss AFB, Rome, NY. At that time, Griffiss was the home of the 49th FIS, then flying F-106's.

As a weather observer, I spent many 8+hour shifts in the observation shack, right alongside the runway. I got to see LOTS of 106's, B-52's, and KC-135's, plus transient U-2's, SR-71's, Canadian F-5's, and lots of other fascinating iron birds.

<Sigh>....
Old Dec 16, 2002, 06:43 PM
union township clermont county Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2001
158 Posts
I can recall seeing an F106 when I was in tech school at
Chanute AFB back in 1961. The pilot made a low pass over the barracks, gave it full military power and screwed it into the sky. George
little nail is online now Find More Posts by little nail
Old Dec 16, 2002, 08:10 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,472 Posts
Ya mean like this one?
Don't ever fly out of an ADIZ..
They send a bill for the service..
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Dec 16, 2002, 11:06 PM
Winnipeg Intl, Canada
Joined Mar 2002
662 Posts
Now that sounds like the title for a book! Tell us more about those neat photos....what were they taken from?

Lee
Old Dec 17, 2002, 11:35 AM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,472 Posts
The last F-106s in service were used to chase the Bone when it was in flight-test at Plant 42 in Palmdale.
Here's one...
The interception photos.. we were out over the Pacific testing something on the #1 Tristar. When RTBing, the test point happened to be a low and slow one, somewhere around 10,000 feet, and only a couple hundred knots.
One of the pilots noticed an approaching low-altitude contrail, which turned out to be an F-106 venting fuel, to get our attention off to the right side of the plane. While walking back to get to a good window, I glanced out the left aft side and saw his buddy easing up to our port side..VERY close! That's the left horizontal tip you see there.. Frankly I was amazed that he and his wingman left, as we were carrying an engine in the "spare engine pod" configuration; another motor mounted on a pylon between the fuselage and #3. Not the typical configuration for a 3-motored airplane.
Old Dec 17, 2002, 12:21 PM
Winnipeg Intl, Canada
Joined Mar 2002
662 Posts
Sparky:

Thanks for posting that note. The photo of the 4 engine Tri-Star is a very uncommon one.

Before becoming a pilot, I worked in Radio & TV Broadcasting. The radio station I worked at in Vancouver, BC received a News Release from Air Canada regarding their purchase of the 1011 and invited news media along for a famil trip somewhere around 1972.

I went along just for the ride and was on board for what they said was the first Autoland done done in Canada....I still recall the take-off run and thinking there was something very, very wrong....it was just too quiet.

I was certain we had taken off with not much more than 20% thrust and that we were all going to die in a flaming hole off the end of the runway. Of course, it was just the high-bypass engines doing their thing. In the age of many planes still flying with Rolls Royce Conway engines, the new ones were an amazing leap forward.

Lee
Old Dec 18, 2002, 01:53 PM
Mr Mootsie
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,566 Posts
loudest jet I ever heard...and I've heard a boat load of them...was the A-6. Converts fuel to noise.
Tim Jonas is offline Find More Posts by Tim Jonas
Old Dec 18, 2002, 03:12 PM
BillBowne
n/a Posts
I once made the mistake of walking down from the weather observation site (ROS) to within a few hundred feet of the runway to watch an SR-71 launch. It took me a while to regain my hearing after that -- noise you feel, not hear.

Bill B.
Old Dec 18, 2002, 07:12 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,472 Posts
I think it's a toss-up between a KC-135 water injection takeoff, a Bone or an SR as to bone-shattering noise, when directly underneath..
When the Blackbird returned (briefly) to service in the early '90s, the first takeoff from Plant 42 was attended by a 1000 or so folks at the departure end of Runway 25.. When it came, they were cheering, and I was shouting, and we were ALL drowned out by the NOISE!!!!!
Old Dec 18, 2002, 08:47 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
No one loves the thunder of afterburners more than I do, and I've heard just about every aircraft equipped with them. But there is something about the shriek of the afterburnerless A6 (I guess the EA6B is the only variant left flying) that is more painful to my ears than any other aircraft I've ever heard while standing at the end of a runway and having them launch just a couple of hundred feet overhead.

On the other hand, the most overpowering physical sensation I've ever experienced was standing a couple of hundred feet from the side of the runway when a B-1 lit up the afterburners and started slowly lumbering down the runway. I thought there were bugs crawling on my arms, and looked down to see all of the hair on my arms standing erect and wildly vibrating! That was the eeriest experience I've ever had related to aircraft of any kind.
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old Dec 18, 2002, 09:02 PM
Alamogordo, NM
Joined Mar 2002
18 Posts
Cool thread guys. Looks like we have a few 'ol Chanute types crawling around this thread.... I'm a weather parachutist up in sunny Seattle and went to Chanute back in the day. I figured a while back if I couldn't fly 'em, I'd jump out of 'em. A C-141 is very loud right when you exit the bird, but over all I'd have to agree that the most painful to the ear is the EA-6 Prowler. Heck of a racket and just a notch below a Harrier ...my poor ears.
dustdevl is offline Find More Posts by dustdevl