SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 04, 2001, 10:45 PM
Joined May 2001
14 Posts
Soarstar what mods. need to be done for a succesful flight?

I heard there were a couple of things that had to be done? What do I need to do to make it a succesful flight?
Thanks
JEWINE is offline Find More Posts by JEWINE
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2001, 10:47 PM
Fayetteville, GA
Joined Oct 2000
3,663 Posts
Nothing

Quote:
Originally posted by JEWINE:
I heard there were a couple of things that had to be done? What do I need to do to make it a succesful flight?
Thanks
Jeff Meyers is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Meyers
Old May 04, 2001, 11:40 PM
El Queso Grande
Rippin in Hood River, OR, USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,141 Posts
No mods needed for flight but try the RS 1600 NiMH packs for extreme duration. Also I taped the wing and elevator/rudder (ala Zagi) with clear packing tape and it GREATLY increases durability.
windsurfer is offline Find More Posts by windsurfer
Old May 05, 2001, 07:23 PM
Santa Maria, CA USA
Joined Mar 2001
93 Posts
Charge batteries.

Seriously though, light clear packing tape increases its durabilty amazingly with a negligible weight penalty. Depends on what your flying location is like.

Jeff

[This message has been edited by Jeff Goldman (edited 05-05-2001).]
Jeff Goldman is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Goldman
Old May 06, 2001, 12:56 AM
La Honda CA USA
Joined Oct 2000
208 Posts
check flying surfaces before take off and bring 5 min epoxy!!! It repairs very easily (3 big pieces of blue foam - inadvertant down elev trim).
I glued a 1/32 in strip to the rear of the horizontal stab after cutting out hinge slots. Several folks reported h-stab flex and later breaks.
make a small hole in front to allow cooling air in
Alternaative - fly it stock its great.
When in doubt (and high up) just let go of everything and then cut to mid throttle.
ez
ezekiel is offline Find More Posts by ezekiel
Old May 06, 2001, 07:43 AM
L.L. N.M. U.S.A.
Joined Apr 2001
149 Posts
JEWINE:
Seems these guys agree that the SoarStar flys right out of the box Please do all preflight checks ie. controlls,range and have a flight plan. If you have not flown anything before try to get someone with expierence to help. If you can't I would recomend that you hand launch it and get
some air between it and the ground,climb out is about 20deg. Get it trimmed to fly straight & level, then if you get in trouble just let go of the sticks this plane loves to fly!
Good flying & let us know how it goes
Jim Ward is offline Find More Posts by Jim Ward
Old May 06, 2001, 09:09 AM
Boise, ID
Joined Feb 2001
24 Posts
No mods necessary, but some other "Tape Advice".
A) If you're flying off or landing pavement also use clear packing tape on the underside of the nose. Asphalt works like a cheese grater on styrofoam.

2) I've found about a 5" long overlapping layer of electrical tape on the fuse under the propeller will help keep the tail from being sawed off when the prop touches that spot in a hard landing.

Also, the center of gravity wasn't specified in my instructions. Put the battery all the way forward in the cockpit. I drilled mine into the ground three times from about 20 feet up before I figured out I was tail heavy.

Good luck. It's a great plane!
Wrongway is offline Find More Posts by Wrongway
Old May 06, 2001, 09:44 AM
La Honda CA USA
Joined Oct 2000
208 Posts
there are many posts if you search soarstar/wingo/poppy. There is a lot on cg. I agree, i put strapping tape on the bottom front for nose scrapes.
Wish I had known about elec tape to protect against prop cuts.
Many people mount the gearbox upside dowwn to lower the cg.
ez
ezekiel is offline Find More Posts by ezekiel
Old May 06, 2001, 11:32 AM
El Queso Grande
Rippin in Hood River, OR, USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,141 Posts
That's wierd. My Soarstar battery (RS 1600) needs to be pretty far back in the cockpit to balance right. Even before I added all that epoxy to the tail.
windsurfer is offline Find More Posts by windsurfer
Old May 06, 2001, 11:54 AM
L.L. N.M. U.S.A.
Joined Apr 2001
149 Posts
Me too,mu batt. is about 13/4 to 2" from the nose. I have not added any tape yet.Good suggestions though.
Jim Ward is offline Find More Posts by Jim Ward
Old May 06, 2001, 08:36 PM
San Francisco
Joined Jul 2000
982 Posts
I also find that my SoarStar flies best with the battery (RS 1600) about as far back as possible.

Greg
greg morrison is offline Find More Posts by greg morrison