Old Nov 21, 2007, 02:40 PM
Yr Draig
Caerphilly,South Wales , U.K.
Joined Jan 2007
131 Posts
Build Log
American Beauty

Hi All,
Just started my American Beauty, i was lucky to buy an old fibreglass hull version from MACK products. Right , first things first most of the ply in the kit was cr*p so i've decided to build her from ABS plastic.
I'm not using the usual running gear (6 rudders and kort nozzels) but only using steering korts with 50mm props , here's a few photo's of the start

Jenno.
jenno is offline Find More Posts by jenno
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2007, 08:51 AM
River Rat
Flatwoods, KY
Joined Feb 2006
792 Posts
Nice start. Did I ever send you photos of the Beauty. We locked through with her at lock 52 and got some photos at Paducah, Kentucky. I've got an old kit and the wood in it is terrible too. I've heard a lot of Dumas kits have poor quality wood.

I'll be looking forward to your build. Post a lot of photos.
towboatjoe is offline Find More Posts by towboatjoe
Old Nov 22, 2007, 10:06 AM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,101 Posts
Jenno, check out towboatjoe's pictures on [email]dumasmodelboats@yahoogroups.com There are also comments on construction in the site.
charlie eaton is offline Find More Posts by charlie eaton
Last edited by charlie eaton; Nov 22, 2007 at 11:46 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2007, 11:08 AM
Joined Oct 2007
545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by towboatjoe
Nice start. Did I ever send you photos of the Beauty. We locked through with her at lock 52 and got some photos at Paducah, Kentucky. I've got an old kit and the wood in it is terrible too. I've heard a lot of Dumas kits have poor quality wood.

I'll be looking forward to your build. Post a lot of photos.
A short comment on Dumas' wood in their kits:

I'm in the beginning process of starting a Dumas Little Shelley Foss Tug kit and the wood is absolutely horrible at best! I'm really suprised they're still in business if all their wood kits are of this kind of quality. I know that this will be the first and last wood kit I will ever buy from Dumas! Unless they impliment some sort of quality control in their wood selection. Half of my "die-cut" parts look as if they have just "died" instead of being usable. Unfortunately the cast metal fittings that came with it are nothing more than globbs cast metal resembling no detail of what they are supposed to be at all.
boat_builder is offline Find More Posts by boat_builder
Old Nov 22, 2007, 02:50 PM
Yr Draig
Joined Jan 2007
131 Posts
American Beauty

Thanks for your replyes,
Toeboatjoe , yes you have sent me your photo's and they will be of great help thankyou .
Getting back to the quality of dumas if they were based in the U.K they would have been out of business within the first year, how a company can get away selling such poor quality materials beats me. I telephoned them to complain and they offered to replace the materials but wants the point.After some negotiations they offered me the barge set for free which made me very happy,,,,,,, but then refused to post to the U.K. as the box was to big to post , so i asked for a set of plans for them but they refuse to answer my emails. Never mind.

Jenno
Old Nov 22, 2007, 02:58 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Feb 2006
1,111 Posts
The wood and fitting's quality of a Dumas kit can be hit and miss, but I have always had good luck with Customer Service
smart_racer is offline Find More Posts by smart_racer
Old Nov 22, 2007, 11:36 PM
Joined Oct 2007
545 Posts
Well I myself am not one to complain very often at all, in fact very rarely. However, I just hate to spend hard earned money on a kit that is almost useless because I have to replace and recut most of the parts myself because of wood that falls apart because it is rotten. Whats the point in buying the kit? May as well have just bought a set of plans and built it all from scratch. I guess $60 for a tug kit isn't a bad price, but since the wood is all rotten and falling apart before I can even "clean" it up $60 is way over priced IMHO. Like Smart Racer commented, they do seem to have good Customer Service, but if they can't "service" what they sell then to me it's useless. Just my 2 cents.

Jenno, your American Beauty looks to be like a very nice hull! Nice work on the Kortz and shaft struts/supports!
boat_builder is offline Find More Posts by boat_builder
Last edited by boat_builder; Nov 22, 2007 at 11:42 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 03:00 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,719 Posts
Towboat joe;
I'd like very much to have copies of your American Beauty pictures. I'm looking for one of the kits now and I'm sure the pics would help with the build not to mention it would be great to have pics of the actual boat. Thanks Pete
normanmcgill@yahoo.com
norgale is online now Find More Posts by norgale
Old Nov 23, 2007, 03:03 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,719 Posts
A comment on the Dumas kits. I have the American Enterprise which I started messing around with a few weeks ago. I noticed in removing the laser cut pieces from the wood stock that several pieces of the top veneer came off with the part. Looks like the glue on the plys just didn't hold. The wood isn't rotten just a rotten glue job by whoever makes the ply wood for this kit. Pete
norgale is online now Find More Posts by norgale
Old Nov 23, 2007, 06:49 PM
River Rat
Flatwoods, KY
Joined Feb 2006
792 Posts
Norman,
The photos are in you're email, 28 in all.

jenno, keep'er up. Like to see how other modelers do theor project and what ideas they come up with.
towboatjoe is offline Find More Posts by towboatjoe
Old Nov 24, 2007, 03:13 PM
Yr Draig
Joined Jan 2007
131 Posts
American Beauty

Hi guy's,
Well they've arrived two very large motors,pulleys and belts, because they are so big they won't sit behind the shafts so they will sit along side of them. ........ Well fingers crossed.

jenno.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 03:28 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,423 Posts
They look nice.
Are they in yet?
Is it in the water yet? :P

We want to know how they perform.
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Nov 24, 2007, 03:50 PM
Yr Draig
Joined Jan 2007
131 Posts
American Beauty

umi,
give us a chance , they only came today!!!

jenno.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 04:17 PM
Yr Draig
Joined Jan 2007
131 Posts
American Beauty

O.K. Had a bit of a brian dead day today, after fitting the motors decided to find how much tourque i had from the props,so off to the indoor test tank , full of water , hull floating just nice with a 12volt battery up front then power on O BOY big mistake there was so much wash in the test tank before i could switch off the power off the hull filled up and down she went She's all dried out now and all is well , that will teach me to be impatient

jenno.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 04:51 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,423 Posts
You know I was only joking when I asked if it was running yet...

I am sure it will dry out fine.
Sounds like you have plenty of power though.
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki