HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 21, 2007, 01:04 AM
Prop me up
cloud-9's Avatar
New Mexico, USA
Joined Oct 2007
2,358 Posts
Discussion
Which is tougher: Multiplex Acromaster, E-foamies Edge

I've been flying a Hobbyzone Super Cub. I need a tougher plane, with mid or low wing design, for an aerobatic trainer. I want something TOUGH. I am tired of gluing the plane back together every night. My searching has led me to the Multiplex Acromaster and the E-foamies.

I think most people know about Multiplex and Elapor.

E-foamies claims thier plane is vitually indestructable, with EPP sheets used in a sort of foam built-up plane.

http://e-foamies.com/store/catalog/p...roducts_id=115

"Made with our special EPP skin technology, the Edge 540T is one tough plane! Expect to crash hundreds of time and keep on flying! Our EPP Skin technolgy absorbs the impact and doesn't break!"

But I read this:

"As for the Manufacturers claims that you won’t have to worry about crashing…
Though this plane’s EPP construction helps it to handle moderate abuse much better than a typical Depron design, I would not go so far as to say it is indestructible. It’s not a solid chunk of EPP. It is a built up design made of thin EPP sheets. This is the beauty of this unique design. You get a full fuse and an air-foiled wing that is strong and rigid without the extra weight. No one else that I know of has harnessed this concept in quite this way. Even so, due to the thinness of the construction, the material can be punctured or ripped fairly easily. Since there is internal structure, repairs after a severe crash, though simpler than those usually needed for wooden models with covering, can still prove to be more involved than those for typical flat plate designs."




Acromaster is made of solid EPP.

I need a plane that will bounce off the ground while I learn to fly it.
cloud-9 is offline Find More Posts by cloud-9
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2007, 01:10 AM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2005
3,435 Posts
The MPX Acromaster is made of Elapor. Which, surprisingly, contains no EPP. Elapor is a blend (70/30) of EPS and EPE. Still pretty tough. You could consider an EPP (They call it Flight Flex) U-Can-Do-3D EP
IPFlyer is offline Find More Posts by IPFlyer
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 02:00 AM
Prop me up
cloud-9's Avatar
New Mexico, USA
Joined Oct 2007
2,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPFlyer
The MPX Acromaster is made of Elapor. Which, surprisingly, contains no EPP. Elapor is a blend (70/30) of EPS and EPE. Still pretty tough. You could consider an EPP (They call it Flight Flex) U-Can-Do-3D EP
Yeah, the U-Can-Do looks pretty indescructable but wierd. Does the E-foamie flex like that? Or not that much, but is the E-foamie supposed to bend and give?

cloud
cloud-9 is offline Find More Posts by cloud-9
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 03:46 AM
Registered User
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
EPP is the tuffest, besides carbon fiber. Molded EPP seems to hold up the best.
I live in a real windy area with very few calm days, so either you fly in the wind or you don't fly much. A gusty wind can just slam the plane into the ground in a instant, so EPP is a must.
I have/had about 50 EPP planes out of over 250 I've been through so far.

EPP Flying Wing do great, but there a bit sensitive and don't slowflight too well, so I modified several Wings into Boomers and finally found the WildWing which is a molded EPP wing.
The latest design will fly in 20mph winds+, go almost vertical on a 2 cell, fly slow enough to run and catch, fly in the street in front of my house and bounce off most things.
There no harder to build than a E-Started. Theres a so-so video of a earlier design flying in 20mph winds and it only weighs 7.5ozs, on page 9, post 125. Check it out!
Butch

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586942
Butch777 is online now Find More Posts by Butch777
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 03:54 AM
Prop me up
cloud-9's Avatar
New Mexico, USA
Joined Oct 2007
2,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch777
EPP is the tuffest, besides carbon fiber. Molded EPP seems to hold up the best.
I live in a real windy area with very few calm days, so either you fly in the wind or you don't fly much. A gusty wind can just slam the plane into the ground in a instant, so EPP is a must.
I have/had about 50 EPP planes out of over 250 I've been through so far.

EPP Flying Wing do great, but there a bit sensitive and don't slowflight too well, so I modified several Wings into Boomers and finally found the WildWing which is a molded EPP wing.
The latest design will fly in 20mph winds+, go almost vertical on a 2 cell, fly slow enough to run and catch, fly in the street in front of my house and bounce off most things.
There no harder to build than a E-Started. Theres a so-so video of a earlier design flying in 20mph winds and it only weighs 7.5ozs, on page 9, post 125. Check it out!
Butch

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586942

Butch, I was wrong about the Acromaster being EPP, it's Elapor (I was corrected, thanks). So I'm not sure what you mean by EPP. The E-foamies are a thin EPP skin, so don't know if that applies either.

Can you name any production park flyers you've gotten that are made of EPP?
I don't know of any molded EPP planes.

Jim
cloud-9 is offline Find More Posts by cloud-9
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 04:43 AM
Registered User
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
The WildWing by HobbyPeople is molded EPP, also Windrider sells several moldes EPP Wings and planes. Most the other EPP planes and Wings are Hotwire cut EPP.
Potensky and FreeAir have several EPP planes.
Nesail, HobbyLobby and SoaringUSA both have several EPP planes.
Their our Forum Sponsors and theres a link at the top right corner of this page.
Some EPP planes are just sheet EPP used like balsa and some are more solid and will take alot of abuse. Just depends on what type your looking for. Butch
Butch777 is online now Find More Posts by Butch777
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2007, 08:55 PM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2007
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud-9
I've been flying a Hobbyzone Super Cub. I need a tougher plane, with mid or low wing design, for an aerobatic trainer. I want something TOUGH. I am tired of gluing the plane back together every night. My searching has led me to the Multiplex Acromaster and the E-foamies.

I think most people know about Multiplex and Elapor.

E-foamies claims thier plane is vitually indestructable, with EPP sheets used in a sort of foam built-up plane.

http://e-foamies.com/store/catalog/p...roducts_id=115

"Made with our special EPP skin technology, the Edge 540T is one tough plane! Expect to crash hundreds of time and keep on flying! Our EPP Skin technolgy absorbs the impact and doesn't break!"

But I read this:

"As for the Manufacturers claims that you won’t have to worry about crashing…
Though this plane’s EPP construction helps it to handle moderate abuse much better than a typical Depron design, I would not go so far as to say it is indestructible. It’s not a solid chunk of EPP. It is a built up design made of thin EPP sheets. This is the beauty of this unique design. You get a full fuse and an air-foiled wing that is strong and rigid without the extra weight. No one else that I know of has harnessed this concept in quite this way. Even so, due to the thinness of the construction, the material can be punctured or ripped fairly easily. Since there is internal structure, repairs after a severe crash, though simpler than those usually needed for wooden models with covering, can still prove to be more involved than those for typical flat plate designs."




Acromaster is made of solid EPP.

I need a plane that will bounce off the ground while I learn to fly it.
Cloud-9 .....I currently have an acromaster, and have had the e-foamies extra. I used the e-foamies as a 3-d trainer. It really allowed me to hone my 3d skills. I would start with the e-foamies models as they are very flexible and able to take much abuse. They are also very light (13-14 oz.max) wich means things happen slower , and when you do crash there is very little inertia to cause damage.....in other words the "bounce factor" you are looking for. The acromaster would be the next step after the e-foamies. The Am is a very tough airplane. i have hit poles, nosed it in from 100 ft up when a rudder servo seized......with little damage. But, the Am is heavier than the E-foamies at 32 Oz. minimum. You have more inertia in a crash because it is faster and weighs more. Either plane is fantastic, but start with the e-foamies first...you wont be sorry...
rhawk1967 is offline Find More Posts by rhawk1967
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2007, 03:16 AM
Prop me up
cloud-9's Avatar
New Mexico, USA
Joined Oct 2007
2,358 Posts
Thank you very much rhawk. I was hoping to find somebody with both. That's great advice.

Jim
cloud-9 is offline Find More Posts by cloud-9
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Backyard Foamies Edge 540 Model Aero 3D Flying 5 Feb 08, 2004 09:46 AM
Which battery for an E-Raider Zagijim Foamies (Kits) 1 Dec 11, 2003 06:12 PM
Help! which BL motor for E-TEC 3-cell 700 phoneguy Parkflyers 5 Jun 29, 2003 01:13 AM
Help!! Which pinion gear for E-hybrid? doppler Parkflyers 3 Dec 14, 2002 11:17 AM
Which servos for Push E Cat ? Al P Foamies (Kits) 4 Jan 18, 2002 01:29 AM