SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 20, 2007, 10:22 PM
Prop me up
New Mexico, USA
Joined Oct 2007
2,358 Posts
Discussion
First time to charger lipos: remove when done?

Hello, I have this charger:

http://rclovers.com/accessories.htm

and this balancer:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=768461\

and 4 Enerland 2150mah 20C 3S1P batteries.

I have a galvanized steel trash can and lid (16 gal?) which I will put on cement blocks several feet away from my house. I'll run an extension cord to it and put the charger, balancer, and battery inside.

The charger blinks when the charge is full.

Must I keep an eye on this, and disconnect as soon as it's done? Or will the charger safely stop charging? Or is it impossible to know without contacting the manufacturer?

Thanks
Jim
cloud-9 is offline Find More Posts by cloud-9
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2007, 10:53 PM
It's all fun till Crunch!
InSane Diego
Joined Jan 2002
1,988 Posts
Ummmm....I'd be real careful with that charger, your charger must tell you the voltage and maximum current (Amps) that it puts into the LiPo. It appears, but there is no way to tell without an ampmeter to measure the current what is going on, that these units charge at .5 A (500 milliamps). If that is true it will take over 4 hours to charge the one pack.
Yes I would be suspect and maintain a constant view of the process, and at least 10 feet from anything flamable, like a house, garage, shed, bushes, etc.

Unfortunatly I, and I think many others on this board, would advise you to try to return for refund these charging units and balancers, and purchase the best (eg, highest cost) fully automatic charger you can afford, and a LiPo Sack to charge them in. These batteries have burned down a whole lot of stuff since they hit the market only a few/4? years ago. Even with good, top quality, proven chargers, you must charge them in a safe, fireproof area where you can observe/ be aware of whats going on.

Sorry for the bum news, but cheap and safe don't usually come in the same package.

Best of luck,

Crunch
Capt. Crunch is online now Find More Posts by Capt. Crunch
Old Nov 21, 2007, 03:41 AM
Prop me up
New Mexico, USA
Joined Oct 2007
2,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Crunch
Ummmm....I'd be real careful with that charger, your charger must tell you the voltage and maximum current (Amps) that it puts into the LiPo. It appears, but there is no way to tell without an ampmeter to measure the current what is going on, that these units charge at .5 A (500 milliamps). If that is true it will take over 4 hours to charge the one pack.
Yes I would be suspect and maintain a constant view of the process, and at least 10 feet from anything flamable, like a house, garage, shed, bushes, etc.

Unfortunatly I, and I think many others on this board, would advise you to try to return for refund these charging units and balancers, and purchase the best (eg, highest cost) fully automatic charger you can afford, and a LiPo Sack to charge them in. These batteries have burned down a whole lot of stuff since they hit the market only a few/4? years ago. Even with good, top quality, proven chargers, you must charge them in a safe, fireproof area where you can observe/ be aware of whats going on.

Sorry for the bum news, but cheap and safe don't usually come in the same package.

Best of luck,

Crunch

Thanks crunch, like your picture. I remember how when I first started visiting these groups I was apalled at how people made jokes out of crashing these delicate planes. Now, I'm always making cracks about my crash/landing ratio.

Anyway, the charger only cost me 20 bucks so no real need to send it back. The balancer should be OK though (?).

I would love to buy a top quality charger, esp if it can do multiple batteries, and would love AC power.

Can you recommend anything?

Thanks
Jim
Old Nov 21, 2007, 08:41 AM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,272 Posts
A Excellent 2 to 4 cell charger and balancer.

The FMA Cell Pro is a complete charger- balancer- revive over discharged cells in a pack. Set the pack for the correct charge and voltage for storage.

It does both LIPO & LIFEPO4. It does everything automaticly. Everything you wanted to know about your pack & each cell is shown in writing on the screen. I monitered the + battery lead with my large meter ammeter scale & it followed the graph perfectly.

Call FMA toll free, ask for Jamie. Very good RC person.

$ 75 . It is fantastic for simplifiying all the crap we had to do with 4 or 5 different, seperate pieces of equipment.

Push and hold in 1 button till you see what mode of charging you want. Release the button. It charges and equalizes perfectly.

I could kiss the butt of who ever designed the I C chip inside.
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Last edited by cyclops2; Nov 21, 2007 at 08:47 AM.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 08:59 AM
Go ahead... Build it to crash!
Conroe, TX
Joined Apr 2007
2,642 Posts
Yeah, the cellpro is excellent. I use it as well. In case it was missed in the post above, the cellpro is a balancing charger that charges each cell individually, so you don't have to worry about balance. The cellpro can also go above 1C safely on a charge because of this feature. I regularly charge my 2200 3s packs at 4A which is the max for the cellpro. It takes about 30 minutes per battery at that rate as they are never all the way discharged. The charge rate will vary through the process as the cellpro is reading your battery pack for fullness and internal resistance. The charge current tapers off until the end, and the last few minutes will be for balancing.

You will also need the adaptor for whatever balancing tap is on your batteries. Finally, you will need a 12v power supply if you don't already have one. You can go buy one, or if you feel like it, here's a pretty easy way to make one from an old PC power supply. That will save a little bit of cash, depending on availability of a PSU. I spent 0$ on that one, but I already had connectors and a light bulb handy. Otherwise a 12v power supply is actually pretty cheap to buy ($20-$40). Just make sure it has good amp limit. I have one that is 10A limit, and I use it to power two chargers at once with no problem. Can't remember where I got it though. If you do the PC PSU conversion you will have an added bonus of available 5v power, which I am finding useful for testing receivers and servo's, and LED's. Anyway, good luck. I hope you get setup to your liking.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=766470
Fuegodeth is offline Find More Posts by Fuegodeth
Old Nov 21, 2007, 09:03 AM
Go ahead... Build it to crash!
Conroe, TX
Joined Apr 2007
2,642 Posts
Also,
I looked at that charger you posted. I would keep your other charger in case you get into small foamies. I have a small charger similar to that one. It has an led indicator to tell charge progress. No digital outputs of information. It works though. Max charge current is 400ma. I use it on some 880mah 3s lipos that don't have balancing taps. So, I can't charge them on the cellpro because there are no taps. It takes about 2 hrs to charge each pack, but it's nice and slow so there's not a balance issue created. The battery packs are a couple years old now and still performing fine. The cheap little charger terminates the charge just fine and lowers the rate at the end. So, you may find use for it yet. It's just not great for those larger packs.
Fuegodeth is offline Find More Posts by Fuegodeth
Old Nov 21, 2007, 12:58 PM
It's all fun till Crunch!
InSane Diego
Joined Jan 2002
1,988 Posts
Jim, Fuegodeth & Cyclops have great info above, I didn't know the cellpro was that cool and pretty low cost. Just get two to charge multiple packs rather than spend $900+ on a Shulze that can do two at once!

There couls be a CellPro in my future too.

Actually I haven't crashed a plane in years, but in the beginning........
Capt. Crunch is online now Find More Posts by Capt. Crunch
Old Nov 21, 2007, 01:25 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud-9

and this balancer:

I have a galvanized steel trash can and lid (16 gal?) which I will put on cement blocks several feet away from my house. I'll run an extension cord to it and put the charger, balancer, and battery inside.

Must I keep an eye on this, and disconnect as soon as it's done? Or will the charger safely stop charging? Or is it impossible to know without contacting the manufacturer?

Thanks
Jim
The charger is described as a constant current/constant voltage charger which means that it should not overcharge a pack IF it works as a properly designed CV/CV charger. At the end it should be in the 4.2V/cell charge mode and stop when the current drops to a predetermined value.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Nov 21, 2007, 02:37 PM
Permanently Banned
San Jose Ca / RSA flyer
Joined May 2003
8,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud-9

and this balancer:

Thanks
Jim
make life easier with this charger

http://www.xushobby.com/servlet/Detail?no=168
hall woo is offline Find More Posts by hall woo
Old Nov 21, 2007, 03:16 PM
Prop me up
New Mexico, USA
Joined Oct 2007
2,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Crunch

Actually I haven't crashed a plane in years, but in the beginning........

Wow, you don't know how good that made me feel!! So my future evening life is not filled with glue? I can actually look forward some day to flying without too much fear the nicer wood planes I bought (prematurely !!!)?

Boy, that's encouraging....

Jim
Old Nov 21, 2007, 03:18 PM
Prop me up
New Mexico, USA
Joined Oct 2007
2,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hall woo
make life easier with this charger

http://www.xushobby.com/servlet/Detail?no=168

It looks great but elsewhere it was said it can only handle up to 2000mah lipos? I already have 4 2150s...

Jim
Old Nov 21, 2007, 03:40 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,272 Posts
Cloud 9.
The FMA 4 cell does the A123 & Dewalt 1100 & 2300 ma. cells and balance them. Automaticly, with just the 1 charger plug.

Finally, a plug and play charger. It can not be made any more fun than this.

I am not connected to FMA in any way. Just a damm good product.

Rich
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2