SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 20, 2007, 01:00 PM
Chef, Snowboarder, WEEEE!
Latham NY
Joined Apr 2007
276 Posts
Discussion
Baja SS Speculation and hopup thread.

I've been pouring through a ton of post, and most the upgrades available right now are for the standard Baja RTR.

With the new SS being released (hopefully next week), what hop=ups can we speculate about being MUST HAVE / MUST DO to make it the best running car for abuse and least amount of down-time on the bench for repairs ?
Being it is a KIT , I would rather just replace the junk from the start and later just enjoy knowing it is a good set up for abuse ( because I'm going to trounce and thrash this beast )
I know my sh*t with my FGMT, but when it comes to the Baja, I'm kind of unsure as there is a lot of "fancy parts" that really are just for customizing, but not really all that necessary IMHO ( eg: carbon fiber chassis and bling parts)> I'm a driver, not a parts polisher.

So far Since the SS is a kit, I have got this for the initial build:

Bad Horsie Shock sock covers,
Metal pull start ring,
Outerwears intake and start covers,
TGN redneck dual stage airfilter,
TGN failsafe,
Full Ball Bearing set -Fast Eddie(Also replaces diff bushings)
Spektrum dx3 TX/RX
HiTec -all metal gear servo for throt/brake. * I have a spare 805bb now. May add the metal gears ?
Klotz oil.

HAVE ALL THE ABOVE PARTS NOW.

Needs:

Battery- 4400mah hump pack, but what one...... want quality cells.
Front Shock tower- billet maybe the new one is stronger and wont need to be upgraded?

Aloy output gear carrier- From what I read it is a weak area on teh car and can cause premature gear wear.

Wheel extenders- did they fix the rubbing ?

Disc Brakes- Going to try to make some out of Smarttech parts hopefully.

Elkon race Clutch- <-I plan on getting this bad boy for my SS. I hate repairing stuff prematurely, so the 100.00 is money well spent IMHO if the upgraded one in the SS is "the suck".

Debating on the steel or aluminum gears, and I know I will get them at some point for sure, but right away.... not sure if I need them.

Other than that, I'm not sure what really will be a surefire right off the bat NEED for replacing from the stock parts.
Perhaps the wheel extenders and upper arms for the rear ?

Will the new dif and clutch be good enough ? The aluminum one is cast metal.
Aloy billet machined barstock is stronger by far,

Lets speculate a bit........

I cleaned up my table and re-aranged my hobby room.

I have 1/2 my parts ordered for the upgrades I plan on slappig in initialy, and well...... my RC hobby table is a mess.......

Putting together one of these big kits is going to take room. My job that I thought I came back to fell through, so I've been in a kind of a dumpy rut and (hence why I'm on the forum so often this past week or so) today when stressed, I decided to power clean and move some stuff around.

I'm quite happy with the results

Should have PLENTY of room now for the Baja SS build
DaveESPI is offline Find More Posts by DaveESPI
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2007, 04:06 PM
KF4IVP
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2005
2,167 Posts
Oh yea, you have enough room now.

I saw one of those Boeing 747's for sale here.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=774742

What is that white foamy with the twin motors?

______
Dennis
34Ford is offline Find More Posts by 34Ford
Old Nov 20, 2007, 06:08 PM
Chef, Snowboarder, WEEEE!
Latham NY
Joined Apr 2007
276 Posts
the foamy is a glider I converted with guts from a Storm Launcher. Flies "OK" but hard to keep it in the air as it is fairly nose heavy. I may have to increase the prop size with some GWS gearboxes to get the thrust I need. was a "monkey around project" I did earlier this spring one day I was really bored.
DaveESPI is offline Find More Posts by DaveESPI
Old Feb 03, 2008, 07:39 PM
elkton, md
Joined Jun 2007
108 Posts
here's my new ss with some hop-ups
nothinbetr2do is online now Find More Posts by nothinbetr2do