HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 15, 2002, 01:34 PM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,997 Posts
New Sokol-- First Flight DISASTER

Well I had my first flight with my Sokol today. Set it up with a Astro 010 14T , 4.7x4.7 CAM Speed prop and 10-cell 720mah NiMh battery. AUW of 12.3 oz. The launch was very easy and it came on step very quick. I flew to altitude and trimmed it out. MAN this thing is fast!! It was like watching one of the racing videos in fast forward, extremely fast. It handled great and was easy to fly.

Now for the bad part After about 5 minutes of full throttle flight I lost complete control for a second. I had no control responce. It headed for the ground, but I got control back about 15 feet from the ground. I instantly turned off the motor and was comming around for a landing. During the turn (still going fast ~60m.p.h.) I again lost all control responce and it hit the ground hard.

I walked over to inspect the damage. The plane hit at about a 70 degree angle square on the nose. The wing had total compression failure, it was cracked and bent right behind the spar on both top and bottom of the wing and the part where the torque rods are was also broke. The fuse had a radial compression fracture right behind the wing saddle.

The wing is totalled, but I can still use the fuse.

I took out the 010 and found that the rear bearing was forced out of its seat by about 1/8". I pressed it back in and the motor seems to be working fine.

It was great while it lasted, sure wish it didn't happen. I really can't see me buying another one any time soon. I might just use the fuse and cut/bag my own wing.

Is there anywhere where I can buy just the wing? How much would it be?

-- Acer
http://speedwing.net
Acer is online now Find More Posts by Acer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2002, 03:31 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Oct 2002
1,022 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear about your Sokol.

Watch the classified for a used one, I just picked up a spare for $100.00.
Blackbird is offline Find More Posts by Blackbird
Old Dec 15, 2002, 03:32 PM
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
3,844 Posts
Oh man, that bites.......radio hit ?
William A is offline Find More Posts by William A
Old Dec 15, 2002, 03:38 PM
Zurich, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2002
899 Posts
What receiver were you using?
KrisS is offline Find More Posts by KrisS
Old Dec 15, 2002, 03:44 PM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,997 Posts
I was using a 555 with an Azarr antenna. It was an old receiver that has been used in other planes. I guess I should have used a new one with no prior crashes to it. I was thinking about it, it seemed to work fine then all the sudden, no radio, then on then off again. It was probably a cracked crystal.

Oh well, I guess I'll put the 010 back into a wing I've been designing.

-- Acer
http://speedwing.net
Acer is online now Find More Posts by Acer
Old Dec 15, 2002, 05:01 PM
Los Angeles Van Nuys, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
Acer,
Sorry about your crash, I had similar one today, on the field I fly I often had radio glitches- plenty of radios are "on". I flew maiden flight on VIP with 020 and HC555. After gaining some altitude, the plane behaved flawlessly I got hit really badly, completly out of control, hit the runway nose first, fuse is gone, wing ok.
There is one conclusion - big, slow slimers are going trough glitches without notice. Small, fast one are vurnerable and need a very clean air. I will send my radio to HiTec for check-up, just in case...
Janusz
Janusz Jawien is offline Find More Posts by Janusz Jawien
Old Dec 15, 2002, 05:06 PM
Joined May 2000
754 Posts
You can buy a wing from Alex, the first importer to sell Sokols in the Americas.
Starflight in Toronto, Canada
partoftheproblm is offline Find More Posts by partoftheproblm
Old Dec 15, 2002, 06:20 PM
Joined Oct 2002
1,022 Posts
Eric - Do you know if Starflight has a website, nothing comes up on a search.

Thanks
Old Dec 15, 2002, 07:20 PM
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
3,844 Posts
http://www.jutstar.com/sf/index.htm
William A is offline Find More Posts by William A
Old Dec 16, 2002, 08:13 AM
Purple power
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,591 Posts
alex sells the wing for $65.00 shipped.............gregg
gregg f is offline Find More Posts by gregg f
Old Dec 16, 2002, 01:28 PM
Zurich, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2002
899 Posts
Schulze Alpha receiver

I recommend to use a Schulze Alpha 4 receiver, 100% reliable and very small and light, I never experienced a single glitch with it even with the antenna cut to 50cm:

www.schulze-elektronik.com
KrisS is offline Find More Posts by KrisS
Old Dec 16, 2002, 02:37 PM
Joined Oct 2002
1,022 Posts
Kris - In the U.S. we use 72mhz, Shulze does not seem to have them available.
Old Dec 17, 2002, 05:56 AM
F5B, helis...too much
Fairfax, VA
Joined Mar 2002
370 Posts
New wing

Anyone know where/how I can get foam cores? I'd like to build a sheeted wing that's a bit more durable than the hollow-moulded wing supplied with the Sokol kit. The supplied wing is a bit "fragile."
tufnik is offline Find More Posts by tufnik
Old Dec 17, 2002, 08:58 PM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
I have been looking at the BERG Shulze has been involved with the new Micro stamp 4DP might just be the Ticket.
@AQcer I too have beenhaving glitches with my 555 RX it too has been in other planes. I almost lost my miniflash to glitches today.Lucky for me it came down in a 3 point landing. NOTHING wrong! Iwas very very fortunate I am not gooing tobe flying iut until I put a diffrent RX into it. I have a GWS 4RP ihave been having good success with but i ama little hesitant to put that into my MF I know the BERG is also Single conversion But it is ALOT better of a RX than the GWS.

Kush

PS Sorry about your loss.
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22
Old Dec 18, 2002, 07:47 PM
Cary, NC
Joined Jan 2002
334 Posts
Acer,

Sorry to hear about your loss. However, I would like to recommend two VERY good receivers, specially for small pylon planes:

- Berg DSP-5
- FMA M-5

Both of these receivers have software that prevents glitches from reaching the servos. If the signal is corrupted, the Rx simply discards the signal so the servo does no see the glitch. I have them both and I have not had a single glitch. I actually fly my Sokol with the Berg DSP-5 and an Azarr antenna.

Flying Cat
Flying Cat is offline Find More Posts by Flying Cat