HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2003, 02:34 PM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,201 Posts
Matt

Seems like you've chosen to test the BE under the worst conditions.....
here's some handy hints...
1.the CG should be at the location indicated on the plans...regardless!!!
2. the surfaces should not be warped....
3. the fuselage should be made of fairly hard balsa or if you like to crash alot ,even spruce...
4. If you're flying in a confined space...UP the size of the prop and reduce the throttle to fly slower....
5.Try to pick a nice day to fly until you get it trimmed out...
6. No nose diving into anything!!!!
Hope these help!!! It's difficult to test a new plane under adverse conditions ,and I think when you finally get things under control ,you'll like the plane............(and for all that ,looks like a quick fix on the airframe)...you have to remember ...this is a simple $2.oo airplane ...not a $60.00 P-51....if you do any bashing ,do it on this!!!!!
Granted ,the Frog is a most excellent flyer,but to compare the two is like comparing apples and oranges!!!
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2003, 10:22 PM
Aurora Municipal, Illinois, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,617 Posts
Since the wind and snow won't let me squeeze in a flight I keep tweaking my planes waiting for a chance to fly. I figured I'd post a picture of the finished Bullseye. If you like to build you just can't beat this. If you want to really stretch it and go all out with fancy hinges and graphics it makes a nice afternoon project.
bullseye000 is online now Find More Posts by bullseye000
Old Jan 19, 2003, 06:57 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,201 Posts
Bull000...

Really sharp pic of the BE , really nice graphics too......weather holding ALL of back , but spring is around the corner , soon ,I hope!!! Thanks for all the good comments.....
Old Jan 20, 2003, 11:46 AM
Aurora Municipal, Illinois, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,617 Posts
Thinking of buiding another BE, however I'm tired of trimming motor sticks to fit the A sized motor. Do you guys use metric lumber or is everyone cutting standard lumber to fit? It would be nice to find a supply of metric lumber to fit these motors.

Another thing, after reading through this thread it seems that a bunch of different prop, battery combos were tested with this design. What is the consensus on the right prop for the job, or is the design receptive to all of them.

Lastly when flying this beast it seems that it would be beneficial if it was a tad bit nose heavy to keep the wing at a lifting angle. For a first launch should throttle be at full or half will a good shove get her of or will it fly out of your hand.
bullseye000 is online now Find More Posts by bullseye000
Old Jan 20, 2003, 11:52 AM
Newnan, GA
Joined Oct 2002
2,087 Posts
I use 5/16" x 3/16" spruce because it is almost exactly the same as 8mm x 5mm which is what is used on the GWS IPS gearboxs. Works great for me.

The spruce is a very odd size but you may be able to find it somewhere.
Matt Chester is offline Find More Posts by Matt Chester
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2003, 02:46 PM
Redmond, WA
Joined Apr 2002
710 Posts
I use chopsticks for my DXA motor mounts, cause I didn't find any spruce at LHS and the chopsticks were free. I don't know what they are made of, but they are quite strong.

All I have to do is put some CA in between to make sure that the 2 sticks don't come apart. Then, since they are tapered I cut off about 2.5" to 3" off the front so that the tip fits the gb slot. Then cut the length needed and glue it to the fuse.
ElectriFan is offline Find More Posts by ElectriFan
Old Jan 20, 2003, 04:10 PM
Mississauga, ON, Canada
Joined Dec 2002
68 Posts
Isn't the bull'seye very similar to this:

The flying pizza box.

Ok... so mine is twin motored but it flies and it flies a little too wild too! Will hover easily and can take off vertically like a rocket (really fast!)

Only problem: Can't turn right very well. I hope to resolve this as soon as I can find a counterrotating prop (pusher prop) that's similar in weight and design to the GWS 1080.
Zeuser is offline Find More Posts by Zeuser
Old Jan 20, 2003, 07:56 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,201 Posts
Bull000...

The motor stick business is usually solved by planing down some thicker material to size ...I make several at a time ....
The 10x8 or 11x8 seem to be the prop of choice for the moment although I designed this to be a tame little float around donut" thingie" , things seem to have gotten out of hand ....wth FB Rich doing things reserved for much more specifically aerobatic designs....come on guys, this WAS just a $0.50 front yard toy in the beginning....PROGRESS!!!
Zeu...saw the pics on another thread , looks really cool and simple....tough to eliminate torque without CR props ...you might try putting a little right thrust in each motor....might help
Matt ... thanks for handy size ....write that one down!!!
Old Jan 24, 2003, 07:18 PM
Time To Fly?
Gig Harbor, WA
Joined May 2002
729 Posts
I started a therad "Need help designing a micro Foamy UFO" and gpw stopped by and got me interested in the Bullseye. Here are some pics of what I have come up with so far. Still need to attach the tail, motor, and waiting on some more parts to get here from dubro. Cant wait to get this thing in the air.
gobigdale is offline Find More Posts by gobigdale
Old Jan 24, 2003, 07:19 PM
Time To Fly?
Gig Harbor, WA
Joined May 2002
729 Posts
another
Old Jan 24, 2003, 07:21 PM
Time To Fly?
Gig Harbor, WA
Joined May 2002
729 Posts
last one. please give feedback if you have any. This is my first attempt at a round plane
Old Jan 25, 2003, 10:08 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,201 Posts
is there a rudder in store for it....???

Looks cool and if you squint your eyes and get really far,far away ......it will look just like a normal plane ,schmaybe!!!
where is the motor going ??? I would think the CG would end UP somewhere around the Bullseye CG....good place to start ...first test glide will tell the tale!!!! Should fly really good!!!! please let us know how's it going......
Last edited by gpw; Jan 25, 2003 at 10:13 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2003, 05:18 AM
Michele Somaschini, Spain
Madrid (Spain)
Joined Sep 2001
1,102 Posts
Maiden flight yesterday.

Well.........not so good. Maybe it was too windy to test it.

Anyway, I've foam for a new one.....or maybe two!!

GPW: I've been thinking about the "bat" shaped Bullseye. I'll cut the foam this weekend and give it a try.

Bye,

RookieOne
RookieOne is offline Find More Posts by RookieOne
Old Jan 29, 2003, 09:51 AM
Time To Fly?
Gig Harbor, WA
Joined May 2002
729 Posts
Finnaly got my parts in!!! I just finished it last night and have yet to fly it. Still very windy here in Oklahoma. Keep looking at weather.com and dont see any breaks in the wind

Pics to follow.
Old Jan 29, 2003, 09:53 AM
Time To Fly?
Gig Harbor, WA
Joined May 2002
729 Posts
one more