HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2003, 09:13 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
Efan....NO!!!!!!!

WE love to hear about the experimental part!!!!! without that we'd never know what worked better ,OR NOT!!! It is the experimental part of this that makes the hobby interesting for curious people such as yourself and myself!!! The beauty of this is....3F is so cheap you can experiment to your hearts desire...in the old days ...balsa,glue,covering,paint....on and on and very expensive ...and costly in time too!!!now ...$1.00,1hour planes have us spoiled!!! You're right ...don't break your radio or stuff.....and please keep us informed about the testing!!! I recommend building the models as designed (and proven)before you experiment on it ,so at least you are starting with something you know works, and won't blame that old guy for designing crummy planes....OK!
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Last edited by gpw; Jan 08, 2003 at 09:18 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2003, 02:33 PM
Redmond, WA
Joined Apr 2002
710 Posts
Re: Efan....NO!!!!!!!

Quote:
... and won't blame that old guy for designing crummy planes....OK!
We do have your confidence Gene.

Quote:
I recommend building the models as designed (and proven)before you experiment on it ,so at least you are starting with something you know works
Very true. As I said above, I had no doubt that it would fly as designed. My experience with deltas/pies showed that they are very susceptible to slow downs as the AOA increases. I see the BE as a brilliant design to try to take further. Just can't resist the chance to experiment (sometimes even if I want to).
ElectriFan is offline Find More Posts by ElectriFan
Old Jan 09, 2003, 09:41 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
E-fan

"just can't resist the chance to experiment"......that's the story of my life, and how I got dragged into this in the first place!!!!!hahahahahahahah
Old Jan 11, 2003, 09:21 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
just a word....

the feminine clone of the Bullseye ,the Valentine,plans have been posted at Hippo's www.FoamFly.com These are just simple template plans to be used in addition to the Bullseye plans......Here's a great one for the ladies thinking of getting into flying....Plans are FREE.......of course!!!! How do they fly?....... NICE!!!!
Old Jan 12, 2003, 10:39 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
For those that are really,really interested...

in this JWA wing thing....donut, flying toilet seat etc. I just was reading the old NY blimp site and came across an article on the Lee Richards "annular wing"...nice pictures of a model of a plane that was flown "some time ago"...gives reference to Bill Warner article in Model Aviation Jan. '83....anybody seen this?????
Old Jan 12, 2003, 11:03 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
pic

thanks to the photographer!!!
Old Jan 14, 2003, 01:16 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
flight report...

Flew the Bullseye today, but instead of using a 9x6 prop on my epu-6 I switched to a GWS 11x8 orange prop ....with Hippobatts...I was able to easily hang the model on the prop continuously and had a remarkable climb..FB Rich's Bullseye was even lighter than mine (Kli-polys 850 mah-same motor /prop) and flew even better than mine...His was a full 1.5oz. lighter than mine and on a 6 ounce airplane ,thats a LOT!!!
Old Jan 14, 2003, 01:25 PM
Vermont
Joined Mar 2002
2,706 Posts
GPW, does either the heart or bullseye fly any better than the other? I actually like the heart design and I think a blue version will look fairly space-ship-ish.

I have really been wanting to make one, but as I said I have to break things to move on. The Q-Butterfly clone was a fun 1 day project, but it is about to give it's guts to one of those for a little while.
fdisk is offline Find More Posts by fdisk
Old Jan 14, 2003, 01:32 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
fdisk...

the heart seems to have more delta qualities...maybe it's the sweep of the wings being different...you could "square off" the design a little bit and make it a more "manly "shield shape...do it in black for a stealthy spaceship look...I am assured you will come UP with something cool...
Old Jan 16, 2003, 10:13 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
FOR CRAZIES ONLY!!!!!

OFB showed be this video of a really fantastic pilot flying a"Sukalyn" or something to that effect....incredible hovering ...rolling circles ...what a pilot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!! the plane was amply powered by a GWS twin D 4.8 volt motor on 8.4V lithiums .....gearing is 9.? /1 underproped at 12x6....just incredible power ....for those who would have the ultimate at the cost of some motor life...this is your indulgence!!!
Old Jan 17, 2003, 12:04 PM
Newnan, GA
Joined Oct 2002
2,087 Posts
Well here is my bullseye.

Looks really cool.
Matt Chester is offline Find More Posts by Matt Chester
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2003, 12:14 PM
Newnan, GA
Joined Oct 2002
2,087 Posts
And here it is after three unsuccessful flights.

First one was inside a gym. It was a little tail heavy, and the elevator was a tad bit warped. This lead to a nose high stall and then a short recovery to an inverted nose dive right into the hardwood floor. Broke the fuselage in half.

Flight two was in the lobby of the gym because the basketball team was practicing. Flew a bit better but was TOO fast for that small of a space. It flew up and hit the cieling and then nose dived into the floor, breaking the fuselage into three pieces.

After repairing that I went outside with it. I was able to fly it for about 25 seconds before the gusting wind finally slammed it into the ground nose first resulsting in what you see here.

So far I am not too impressed with its flight charateristics. Of course I have been flying the ultra stable and forgiving Frog. I have not given up on the design yet though, I plan on rebuilding and trying again when the wind calms down.
Matt Chester is offline Find More Posts by Matt Chester
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2003, 12:27 PM
Michele Somaschini, Spain
Madrid (Spain)
Joined Sep 2001
1,102 Posts
GPW

You've convinced me. Will build the Bullseye tomorrow.

There's a EDF-50 BATWING contest in www.foamfly.com!!!!!!!!!!

Man that's really cool. Can it be done with the same Bullseye's structure? How?

RookieOne
RookieOne is offline Find More Posts by RookieOne
Last edited by RookieOne; Jan 17, 2003 at 12:33 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2003, 12:58 PM
The effect is sadly temporary
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Joined Oct 2001
1,677 Posts
Batwing? Why yes...

RookieOne,

I've been putting off the EDF-50 contest to finish my "Purely FOAMy" contest entry. I'll see if I can take some pictures of my prototype bat tonight.

It's more like the UP than the Bullseye, but I've got my hand-toss bat glider flying really well now. (Especially with a Rubber Band Bungee Launch ) The finished bat will have a full airfoil wing for reduce drag, but I'm happy to share my "Batwing" planform, that is easy to cut from a single sheet of foam. I even have the CG for it figure out already.

More tonight.
-Dan

P.S. For folks who can't find the album: Batwing Photo Album
There isn't anything too exciting in there yet, but some cool research photos of what has and can be done...
Hippo is online now Find More Posts by Hippo
Old Jan 17, 2003, 01:03 PM
Michele Somaschini, Spain
Madrid (Spain)
Joined Sep 2001
1,102 Posts
Thanks Dan. It will be as easy to fly as the Bullseye? (Don't worry GPW, I'll build the Bullseye anyway)

Batwing looks cool in the air.

Regards,

R1
RookieOne is offline Find More Posts by RookieOne