HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2002, 05:44 PM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
simple radio mounting pics

3...rub a little epoxy on the foam and hold the servos down with mounting tape...paperclip pushrods with adjustment "V"
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Last edited by gpw; Dec 28, 2002 at 05:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2002, 09:17 AM
Aurora Municipal, Illinois, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,588 Posts
Thanks GPW. Thats where I mounted them. I'm debating on pulling them off and ordering some smaller servos. My last pair is a set of GWS microservos. They are about 25-50% larger than a pico or hs55 style servo. On your suggestion I peeled the plastic on the bluecor and the airframe doesn't weigh anything. I was going to let it rip with the micros and see if they are too heavy.
bullseye000 is offline Find More Posts by bullseye000
Old Dec 29, 2002, 05:19 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
B/000

If I can remember , I think the mini servos ,you refer to are quite a bit heavier than the tiny ones ...H-55,picos...etc.....
at 3/4 oz. each ,that would result in a weight gain of about 1 ounce...that's pretty significant ,considering the AUW of the plane is under 7 oz....more than 10% and that would affect the performance.....when we build such simple airplanes we have to compromise between weight and performance... Might I suggest doing as Proto did on his UP, and make a larger version (24"), you don't have to go wild with a s/400 like he did... but the larger area would better carry the extra weight.....the plans are not difficult to enlarge to any size you want.....
Old Dec 29, 2002, 06:34 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Here's a shot of mine just before I beaned it into a barbed wire fence... Oh well it was fun while it lasted... Guess I'll have to spend another 30 minutes building a new wing...
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old Dec 29, 2002, 06:39 PM
Redmond, WA
Joined Apr 2002
710 Posts
Don - that motor seems to be mounted at quite an angle!! Is that right or does it just seem that way in the picture?
ElectriFan is offline Find More Posts by ElectriFan
Old Dec 29, 2002, 06:57 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Hummm, I had a hard landing the flight before working with the CG. No wonder it flew into the fence, I thought it was me.
Don
Old Dec 30, 2002, 07:32 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
what a great photo...

and a telling one too ...seems like you had some pre-crash damage!!!Oh well!! another 30 min.....great photo anyway!!!!what did you think of the handling,before the motor "adjustment"???
Don , I never was able to open your attachment/logo?????
Last edited by gpw; Dec 30, 2002 at 07:34 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2002, 04:47 AM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
It flew great! First flight I had the CG way too far back and it was nose high til I landed. Flight two was a hoot and I flew it till the battery ran down. No aerobatics yet, I want to get it flying to suit me. 8cell AAA's seem a bit heavy and 7 cell 1/3 AA's too light. I'm "experimenting" with lithion cell phone flat packs but the safety device keeps cutting off one pack when I start drawing from it and the other pack I took apart isn't working yet, won't take a charge. Time will solve those issues.

GPW, let me try to save it in another format.
Don
Old Dec 31, 2002, 11:18 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
Don...

720s seem a bit heavy !!! I've been using Hippobatts 2.75 oz. and they work fine ...Qualcoms should also work fine as long as they are working correctly ...try advancing the throttle slowly..or I've heard you can remove the board ,but better check with a battery "expert" first...Please save the file/loge somewhere...I'm a Mac guy so it's difficult sometimes...Thanks ...glen
Old Dec 31, 2002, 01:53 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
I corrupted the file messing with it. I'll make another one this evening. Won't take long atall, tried it with paint here at work but that was ugly and not easy to use.

is he in stock on the hoppo bats? Now that I have a lithion charger I may need to buy some to see how they are wired together.
Don
Old Jan 01, 2003, 09:06 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
Don

I think Dan's got Hippobatts back in stock....we're all flying them here now ...they 're just perfect for the small A motors (flights over 45 min. so far) and the larger motors when you want to cruise around ......and you can't beat the price ...I assemble my own from the 2 "raw" cells ....EASY !!!!!...and cheap.....for all out power and speed the nimh are good for that...nicads even better for high power delivery, just heavy....The Hippobatts at 2.75 oz. allows me to fly planes like the Bullseye for extremely long flights ,whether, close in or specking out type of flying....lately I take a couple of 15 min flights on the same battery ...the battery doesn't have to rest...I do!!!
Old Jan 01, 2003, 12:31 PM
Redmond, WA
Joined Apr 2002
710 Posts
Does anyone know the max amp draw on the hippobatts?
Old Jan 01, 2003, 06:58 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
E-Fan....

Dan's the real one to ask ,but here's my take on it... Seems like the Hippobatts can take a large current for a short time!!! What's he saying??? well, basically if you run them on say an"A" motor drawing UP to 1.5 amps you could run them wide open for an awfully long time.....on a 280 drawing 3 amps , you'd have to throttle down for a while to let the batteries cool down and then resume full power.....as Dan and I have now done on the 370 motor drawing 5 amps +...you MUST fly with throttle conservation to get a long flight ,with frequent lower power cool down periods.......what happens is ...you run say 5 amps for 3 min and the batteries heat UP...it doesn't take much, these lithiums aren't yer Grandpa's nicads... a little heat and the power drops right off ...and you come down....if you reduce the power for a minute or so, the power comes back...Dan, please correct me if I'm wrong.......Basically ,you can fly the Bullseye for 45min+with a simple "A" motor
Last edited by gpw; Jan 01, 2003 at 07:11 PM.
Old Jan 01, 2003, 07:15 PM
The effect is sadly temporary
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Joined Oct 2001
1,677 Posts
Close enough.

Electrifan,

I would put the max sustainable current draw at about 3.5 Amps. I have pulled 6 Amps for up to 5 minutes, but basically I reserve full throttle on these for during manuevers, and emergencies, and then I immediately drop back down to half, or 2/3's throttle like normal.

As the batteries warm up internally, there is a safety device that begins to kick in, and the output voltage will drop in an effort to lessen the load. If you don't let up, eventually the voltage will drop to the point where the motor cutoff will activate. You won't lose control of the plane, but you probably won't be able to restart the motor in the air. If it goes that far, a cooling off period of a couple of minutes is in order. Drawing them to that point probably also isn't good for the batteries, but I haven't have any packs die on me, and I never fly them until they're completely empty, so I haven't been able to quantify that.

I hope that explains things a little. I'm sure it must all seem very mysterious, but I don't mean it to be.

-Dan
Hippo is online now Find More Posts by Hippo
Old Jan 01, 2003, 10:47 PM
Redmond, WA
Joined Apr 2002
710 Posts
I have the QC LiIons and was wondering how yours compared to them. With the QCs, I try to keep the draw under 3A and even then I use full throttle sparingly. The worst thing is to have the pack shutdown and force one to come down with total dead stick.

Thanks for the explanation though.