HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 22, 2002, 11:29 AM
Redmond, WA
Joined Apr 2002
710 Posts
I built one last night with one major mod - elevons instead of R/E. However, I kept the option of going R/E by just lightly gluing+taping the rudder in place (s/b easy to remove it if required). It weighs 6.25oz with the plane, GWS R4P w/ full antenna, 2x 9g servos, ICS-50 ESC (will probably go with a GP C-5), GWS DXA w/ 9x7 and QC LiIons (2x830=2oz). I don't expect this one to hover, but should fly pretty well for about 45 mins.

Will find out how it flies today.

I must say that this one has been one of the easiest to build to date. I took longer than 20 mins but once one has built a couple of them, it shouldn't take more than that. Probably take longer for the glue to dry.
ElectriFan is offline Find More Posts by ElectriFan
Last edited by ElectriFan; Dec 23, 2002 at 11:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2002, 11:49 AM
Redmond, WA
Joined Apr 2002
710 Posts
BTW, since I couldn't print full scale plans, here is the technique I used to cut the donut. Maybe it is a known but I thought I would post it anyway for those that don't know - low cost technique to cut a large circles/arcs.
Old Dec 22, 2002, 02:21 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
How are you all taking the paper off the foam?? I used the peel and wash methoud and was wondering if there is a faster way. Build time is nothing, I'm waiting on the motor before I weigh it.
Don
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old Dec 22, 2002, 04:18 PM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
E-fan

we've been flying the Up now for a while with just elevons...the only reason I tried the Bullseye with R& E was because a lot of guys don't have a mixing radio .....with R&E you can use just about any ole' radio .......good to hear about your Bullseye....it sounds perfect,nice and light ,and I think it will surprise you with its agility!!!Thanks for the circle /arc info ...very handy!!!!
Don ....sounds like you're using Sturdyboard,eh? the black S/board for some reason peels very easily...I just run an Exacto blade along the end peel the paper back about two inches and tape that to a broom handle ...you can roll the rest of the paper Up on the broomstick and off the foam....the white was a little harder requiring much soaking and rubbing...If you can find some Blucor fanfold ...we use the broom stick trick on that too!!!!some people leave the skin on the Blucor,but it adds just a little too much weight for me and the stresses on this airframe aren't that great....you'll notice I used no strapping tape on this one for reinforcement....works fine ,saves weight.....
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Dec 22, 2002, 06:21 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Thanks I was afraid of that! I usually use Black because of the ease of peel but a buddy of mine gave me several large sheets of white so I built the Bullseye with that. Thanks for the reply!!
Don
Old Dec 22, 2002, 06:50 PM
Aurora Municipal, Illinois, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,591 Posts
Hey Glen

I'm putting a bullseye together and wanted to check the reference to the cg on the plan. Is it referenced to the top view or the side view? I'm assuming that it's the side view but figured I'd ask for clarification.
bullseye000 is offline Find More Posts by bullseye000
Old Dec 22, 2002, 08:43 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
It's a funny thing !

But seems like all JWA that I've built, ALL balance right behind the intersection of the rear of the front wing and the fuse....plans show this 1/2 inch behind this point on the side view (some of the print got cut from the plans when I scanned them so I'll try to help as much as possible)...does that clear UP the CG question?
Old Dec 23, 2002, 09:09 AM
Wayne, NJ
Joined Apr 2001
473 Posts
Simple?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=40108
Mikerjf is offline Find More Posts by Mikerjf
Old Dec 23, 2002, 09:24 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
Miker

thanks for the info ...just goes to show ,like I have mentioned before ,there is nothing new... BUT I do think the JWA innovation puts it in another class of plane , those solid disks ,hearts ,whatever .....become draggy at high angles of attack , whereas the JWA .does not so it flies more efficiently and turns flatter.....My Bullseye will fly at half throttle when the UP won't....same plane except BE is a jwa...the difference......and I still think the Bullseye is as simple plane as you can pratically build....THAT will fly VERY stably......Thanks ......
Old Dec 23, 2002, 09:34 PM
indianapolis, indiana
Joined Oct 2002
993 Posts
BULLSEYE + ADICTION

hey guys
here is one you never heard before - started this hobby 6 weeks ago - have built a tiger moth and a pico stick fd
then got curious about this foam thing, and have built 2 zagnuts -
2 delta wings and a up
here is my latest - the bullseye
wanna hear the funny part (i have not flown any of them yet)
now i ask ? is this addiction ?? think i know that answer !!!
here in indiana it has been very windy morning, noon and night
for weeks now, and with all the pains that went into the tm and pico stick - i wouldn't dare brave the wind with them
so here sits another - just waiting -
but, believe me, since these fom jobbies are sooooo eassssy to make - i will dare the wind as soon as it gets down to a breeze !!
many thanks to the provider of these plans, as well as the help from others here. very happy to find foamies, and will probably mostly fly them and save the expensive ones for no wind and show.

jerbear
jerbear is offline Find More Posts by jerbear
Old Dec 23, 2002, 09:36 PM
indianapolis, indiana
Joined Oct 2002
993 Posts
SORRY - HERE IS THE PIC.

http://members.aol.com/jerbearjjs/by1.jpg

I DID NOT REVIEW POST THIS TIME AND STILL - NO PIC CAME UP
STILL CAN NOT FIGURE THIS PIC THING OUT
jerbear is offline Find More Posts by jerbear
Old Dec 23, 2002, 11:51 PM
Redmond, WA
Joined Apr 2002
710 Posts
jerbear - that's addiction ... I mean enthusiasm . The BE looks good, maybe I'll just build another one with R/E just for fun.

I didn't build mine (elevon version) stock since what we have located here in the NW is FFFF (Foil FFF) - it has some thin foil sheet on one side. That or the foam itself is a little heavier and I have never been able to get the AUW posted here by others on various models. At first I thought it was me adding either too much glue or tape.

On my BE, I made a few deviations to keep AUW down:
- trimmed the front of the stick fuse to fit in the DXA gearbox slot
- no plate for the battery, just some velcro on fuse + rubber bands to hold pack during aerobatics
- tail skid using 0.032 piano wire
- 2x 1.25" high foam skids on bottom of wing to prevent pack/electronics from being scratched up
- cheapo servo arm prop saver, of course

In order to get CG right, I had to stick the pack about 2"-2.5" behind the motor, then ESC, Rx behind CG. Windy and wet here still, so no test flight yet. Verified that it won't hover with 10x8 prop. With CG about 3/16" fore of specified CG, I find it glides quite well. AUW is 6 5/8oz now.

If it does well, I may even remove the foam skids and add some landing gear using CF rods and ultra light wheels.
Old Dec 24, 2002, 08:23 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
Hey! bear...

we call this the building season ...where you put together as many planes as you can ,so when the good weather comes you'll be ready to fly.....seen guys in the past break their only plane that they worked on for 6 months and missed out on "flying season"....Be prepared ...more foamies.....you can 't complain about the cost.....

E fan.... foil FFF???.....that's gotta' be heavy huh? does it cause any radio interference??? the secret to all these planes performance is weight or to be more accurate ,the lack of.....the other is drag... either will turn your plane into dog..... We are now experimenting with sliced FF and smaller Radio stuff to try to build a lighter 4oz.Bullseye for indoor flying .... try playing with the CG and props to hover ...some fine tuning may be necessary ....losing weight helps too...GWS twin helps more!!!
Know about the weather there .....lived on 510 N.E. 81st ST. in Seattle in early 70's(funny thing ...hosts name was Dean Martin) winter weather was just like New Orleans...cold and wet and windy.....
you gotta lose that foil business or send me some to test OK!!! Happy Hoildays....
Old Dec 24, 2002, 09:27 AM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
A couple of shots of mine waiting on the electronics. Motor is coming from Officeproducts.com.
Don
Old Dec 24, 2002, 09:29 AM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
ROLF! I put the large decal on upside down!!! Well, here's a shot of the little one....