Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 19, 2002, 07:38 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Joined Jul 2002
24,064 Posts
bmizes....

the Bullseye plans are not at HIPPO's yet ...I hope to get them done today,and posted tonight( I never seem to catch UP on plans drawing) ....they're really pretty simple and would make a great first plane .....the airfoil is merely a flat plate ,shaped to fly by the way it is glued to the fuse .....and if you don't have a mixing radio ,it would be the logical choice........plans later this evening.....
the UP on the other hand requires a mixing radio and flys with elevons, making it capable of more aerobatic maneuvers....
It is really your choice,depending on your flying skills you may want to start with the Bullseye and then move UP to the UP later .......they both can be built for under a dollar and under an hour complete...so you might want to build them both and have one ready for back -UP......
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2002, 05:46 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,064 Posts
I just sent the BULLSEYE plans

to HIPPO at www.FoamFly.com please allow Dan a little time to post them as he's been awfully busy lately (Holidays)......also here is a little plane for the ladies that can be built on the BULLSEYE fuselage...have a heart!!!
Old Dec 19, 2002, 06:21 PM
Redmond, WA
Joined Apr 2002
710 Posts
Since the weather has been nasty for the past few weeks and that good flying weather will be difficult to find in the next few months, some of us have located an indoor facility. I have cut the foam for the xbow but have held back completing it for an indoor flyer sine I will need something very very manouverable to fly there.

Glen - will the Bullseye fly indoor? Have you or anyone else tried it?
ElectriFan is offline Find More Posts by ElectriFan
Last edited by ElectriFan; Dec 19, 2002 at 06:26 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2002, 06:30 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Patiently waiting, please let us know when the plans are posted!
Don
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old Dec 19, 2002, 06:30 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,064 Posts
E-fan

It sure should fly indoors and in a small space too ...we have flown it very close in at our field and have flown around ourselves(control line fashion) till we got dizzy!!!! the finished model was only 6.5 oz so it is pretty light ,and with a lighter battery(we're using HIPPOBATTS) will be even slower flying....I'm sure for the dollar and hour you'll invest in this bird will be readily paid off at the local gym......Try it you'll like it...alot!!!
Old Dec 19, 2002, 06:35 PM
Redmond, WA
Joined Apr 2002
710 Posts
Sounds good. Will give it a try as soon as Dan uploads the plans.
ElectriFan is offline Find More Posts by ElectriFan
Old Dec 19, 2002, 07:06 PM
The effect is sadly temporary
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Joined Oct 2001
1,675 Posts
Plans are ready.

Here's a link that will take you deep into the FoamFly gallery, and get you building right away...

http://www.FoamFly.com/gallery/view_...mName=Bullseye

Enjoy,
-Dan
Hippo is online now Find More Posts by Hippo
Old Dec 20, 2002, 09:44 AM
AMA 125691
Jacksonville Florida
Joined Jul 2002
2,240 Posts
Interesting

Looks good, but your wing seems to have a big hole in the middle. Do you think it would fly even better without the cutout? You'd have more wing area. Maybe you could just make that area a different color. Just a thought.

Bill
wmcneal is offline Find More Posts by wmcneal
Old Dec 20, 2002, 09:47 AM
Aurora Municipal, Illinois, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,556 Posts
OK I'm bitin'

Can't resist this one...reminds me of the floppy disk. Need to order another motor and flight pack.

Because it's so light are you using a 3.6v or 7.2v pack?
bullseye000 is online now Find More Posts by bullseye000
Old Dec 20, 2002, 12:00 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,064 Posts
the hole is everything...

Just as in a donut, the hole is the thing that gives it its characteristic shape ....nothing becomes something.....and it also reduces drag at high angles of attack and allows the rear part of the wing to be set negative to the front part creating the angular difference nessessary for stable flight (decklage...hope I spelled that right!!!) If you want the Whole thing ...build the UP ...it's all there for you....no hole ...flys great too!!!
Bullseye000....you're gonna love this one!!!! dirt simple ...flies great!!!! using GWS A motor , two HIPPOCELLS ...8.4V...9x6 APC prop....2-H-55 servos ...GWS pico Rx with the antenna cut in half...GWS 5A esc...rudder and elevator....very stable ,can fly really close in (we're thinking about a one design pylon racing)....flew the other day for 45min+,sitting on the tailgate of my pickup ,sipping coffee....how relaxing!!!!
Happy Holidays!!!!
Last edited by gpw; Dec 20, 2002 at 12:03 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2002, 02:41 PM
Joined Jul 2002
1,556 Posts
Just ordered some electronics to make one go.

45 minute flight while sippin coffee!!! You lucky scum. The wind won't lay down long enough for me to catch a flight.
Old Dec 20, 2002, 02:48 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Got the plans printed out here at work, printed to scale. I couldn't understand how it worked with no foil shape then while looking at the plans it hit me!! Dang, this is a simple yet brillient design. Can I use AAA's on it?? 7 or 8 cell????
Don
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old Dec 20, 2002, 05:45 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,064 Posts
Lucky scum!!!

As they say in New Orleans...Yea!! ya right!!!...finally got a really good morning(on a Sunday yet)...the weather here has been cold,windy, and rainy 50-60 degrees(cajuns don't do well UP north in the winter) and we're lucky to get one flying session a week.....we go flying almost every day in the summer!!!....But anyway ,on this beautiful Sunday the first test flight was nervewracking'....OFB had been pestering me for a month to test fly it , but I just didn't have a spare radio, so I want to see MR.Mike at the Hobby Hut and he made me a deal on an airborne pack ....what a guy!!!! Anyway we tested the control surfaces ,the motor , yea ,it works.........it was a go....OFB gave it one of his feather tosses and it just flew out of his hand so sweetly...nice and straight ,climbing a little much...a little down trim....perfect!!!! after about 3 or 4 circles of the field and some mild aerobatics.....I handed it over to OFB's son,BOB......Iwalked over to the truck to get some coffee and get a better view of the Bullseye flying....and I knew if Bob could fly it ANYONE could fly it (no offense Bob!!!) he flew it for the better part of 30+ min and got bored and made a floaty ,hover landing ......nice! especially for Bob who usually leaves holes in the ground the size of armadillos......and that was the FIRST (test ) flight!!!! The second flight was the epic flight of the day when I refused to get off my duff to fly (didn't want my coffee to get cold).......What a morning!!!
Don ...glad you like the simple ZEN of the Bullseye.....after building literally thousands of models over the past 40 years,with all those little ribs, and sticks ,and covering...what a pain!!! we are lucky to be able to in essence WARP a piece of foan and get it to fly ....and really good too!!!
I would really try to use the lightest battery pack you can .....the HIPPOBATTS weigh 2.75 oz. for 950 mah ...a good deal weight wise.....8/720 nimh aaa's weigh 3.5 oz.....so think of it this way 3/4 oz. doesn't seem like much ,but when the whole plane weighs 6.5 oz.....that's more than 10 percent of the weight of the plane ....alot really!!! this is just like any other plane ...the lighter it is the better it flys......Happy Holldays!!!
Last edited by gpw; Dec 20, 2002 at 06:08 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2002, 09:54 PM
Joined Jul 2002
1,556 Posts
50-60 degrees! Man weather like that would be cause for some around here to be wearin' shorts. Its been in the 30's with gale force winds up here. But I guess that's why its the windy city.

Have a good holiday gpw
Old Dec 21, 2002, 08:29 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,064 Posts
Bullseye ...

Last time I went to Chicago (and I love Chicago) it was 15 degrees ,the wind was howling off the frozen lake....people were walking around with sweaters on ...the wife and I were dressed like Mr. & Mrs."Nanook of the North"....even were followed by security in Bloomies......down here ,anything below 70 degrees is freezing!!! I'm sitting here now with two shirts ,a sweater , my camo pants, and fuzzy slippers, and the wife has the thermostat set at 75 degrees....BRRRRR!!!!! You have a good Holiday too...try to stay warm....BRRRR!!!!
Last edited by gpw; Dec 21, 2002 at 08:35 AM.