HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 15, 2009, 01:49 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
I said this a modified delta squirt. It is actually a nutball delta airframe. Painted top and reinforced bottom. I have decided to try my rewound turnigy 2730 that Dave North did for me or rewound motrofly he did. The Turnigy will only do 2s and the motrofly can do 2 or 3s. 2s on both is over 15oz thrust on 8040. The motrofly is heavier by a few grams. Or I can wait forever on the 1300Kv. I am hoping Dave's 2730 finds me in the mail today so I can use the same mount to try both a fast wind and the slow.

Edit: The mail man made up my mind. Dave's was in the mail.
tymbrewolf is offline Find More Posts by tymbrewolf
Last edited by tymbrewolf; May 15, 2009 at 01:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2009, 02:00 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Well Tymbre, It certainly looks "different".

Best of luck with the maiden flight....If it flys well....I will know what to do... when I only have offcuts left.
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old May 15, 2009, 02:08 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
Been through the thread and not sure what to do on rt and down thrust. On these with dihedral and no hole in the center, I do a few degrees down and a couple rt. But on dekan's SD, only a little down. ???

edit: d', didn't see your post. I hope that "different" is in a good way.
Old May 15, 2009, 04:28 PM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Joined Jul 2002
24,065 Posts
Well, since it's not built to the plan ... we're like a blind buck... No eye Deer...
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old May 15, 2009, 04:36 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
I am guessing it will be similar to the valentine. What kind of thrust line did that one have?
Old May 16, 2009, 05:52 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,065 Posts
0 down 2 right ...
Old May 16, 2009, 11:04 AM
For us He died, in me He lives
United States, MI, Saint Clair Shores
Joined Dec 2008
5,103 Posts
Well GPW, in my never ending search for the back yard flyer I often find myself in your threads. You know I was going to do the MINI JAR and I did, only used a flexible motor mount wrong and split wires on 2 of my 3 bl's. The only one I have left is sitting on my freshly finished Blu51cd waiting for calm weather for the maiden.

So with only brushed motors left & no funds, I am trying to see what I can build. I have the IPS A geard (doesn't everyone?) some J250's, GWS 350 & 400's with C & D gearboxes and a DD 380.
Would the BE be a suitable for backyard high alpha slow flight? & if so would the IPS with a big prop be able to do it?

Any suggestions would ber greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jimmy
Jimmy JFlyer is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy JFlyer
Old May 16, 2009, 11:52 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,065 Posts
JJ, The original Bullseye had an IPS motor as did many of our early FFF Foamies... flew GREAT!!! ... and in small areas... with todays lighter batteries, it should be just fine... Try to keep the AUW (with batt) under 7 oz... the lighter the better...
Old May 16, 2009, 11:57 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,103 Posts
Thx GPW. I should be able to keep the weight down. I just finished Gene's Blu51cd last night. With the added extra weight of the hot glue & dowels for dihedral and added rudder hardware she is still only 7.5 oz. No clue how I kept it that light but if I can do that, this guy under 7 oz shouldn't be a problem. The 2s batts I have are the 44g 900 mah Mysteries. Although I see Rhino 460 mah 2s & 3s's in the near future.

Jimmy
Old May 16, 2009, 03:51 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,065 Posts
Pulling about 2 amps, the IPS should run a long time on a 2s900... Or about 20 hours before the motor wears out...
Old May 16, 2009, 03:55 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Pulling about 2 amps, the IPS should run a long time on a 2s900... Or about 20 hours before the motor wears out...
Cool, thanks for the info.
Old May 16, 2009, 07:06 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
Got my version done today. 158g (5.57oz) empty. AUW with ABF 2S 900 208g (7.4oz) I have some 480's but WOT is about 9.85a so to small. AUW with them though would be 192g (6.77oz). However this Dave North rewind turnigy 2730 is putting out 16.6oz gws 8040. I think rhino 610s would be great with this motor. With decent wind will do a maiden.
Old May 16, 2009, 09:03 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
Winds 30 minutes before sundown were 5-13. Good enough to force a maiden. Too much right thrust. Too much down. CG needs to be a little rearward than I thought too. I didn't have the opportunity to try inverted as I had to hold too much elevator to fight my down thrust and a smidge left. Flew about 15 minutes. WOT is rather quick for me and only did that a few seconds or the football field was gone.

Glen amazingly predictable though. Even as it was badly out of trim and couldn't change it much as I wanted to with the motor thrust issues as I set the same kind of planes trimmed mechanically so all my RETs are radio trimmed neutral, it flew superb. It does need the prop turning, but can cruise on about 1/3 throttle. Loops well, turns wonderfully. Rolls were not very axial but the trim should fix some of that. Not as much of the being battered this way and that in a breeze like dihedral planes do. If nice tomorrow after Church, I will see if I can't get some video after doing some trimming. It turns tightly in high alpha. Nothing negative. A complete treat to fly!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Bullseye Delta will be one of those models I won't be without. If if flys inverted, it will have the possibility of being the most perfect RET plane especially if fitted with LG to ROG.

Glen, perhaps I should start another thread? I don't want to take this away from the Bullseye. This is but a bullseye with a modded shape and no stick mount fuse. I really like deltas for storage as they store more easily than circles etc since they are triangles, three fit well side by side.

d' I just flew the SD after my son's baseball practice Thursday. If nice Monday, guess what plane is taking its place in the outfield?
Old May 17, 2009, 07:09 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,065 Posts
Whoa!!! I Think it's SUPER!!!
Old May 17, 2009, 08:11 AM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
Trimmed 0down, 0 right still turns alittle right. I think my mount foam must be off a little as motor neutral is just a fuzz right. Will have to shim a tad left to go neutral. CG is about at the front of the hole. It will fly inverted (much better than I can RET). The one thing I found that it does not like as well is inside loop probably my thumbs as I have it on full rates and I probably stick some rudder in there as it wants to roll out at the bottom. It is great now, but with those large control surfaces I think I could get tighter acrobatics if I made some longer control arms for the servos.

I understand what you mean about lawn chair flying with it too. It can do easy relaxed stuff all day.

Edit: New thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1051014
Last edited by tymbrewolf; May 17, 2009 at 01:45 PM.