HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2007, 07:50 AM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
A Profile Pygmy Pitts Peanut! Looks really good, Gramps! Do you think you'll be under 6oz AUW? That thing's really gonna scoot!

I'm making 150W, or about 140W/lb, with my current setup.

kendall
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2007, 08:06 AM
Into the Wild Blue Wonder
ATL
Joined Jan 2007
1,018 Posts
ziomatrixacs:
did you forget about this plane you posted here in june? Did you ever find the CG?

Jasta
Jasta_66 is offline Find More Posts by Jasta_66
Old Nov 23, 2007, 08:38 AM
Registered HotGlue Addict
Joined Dec 2006
1,479 Posts
Thanks again,

I know size in area equates by a factor of four for example,
if a 30 inch wing has 426 squares then a half scale will have 107 sq in.

I do not know how power in Watts equates to size and weight…
But lQQk how close our numbers match…

You weigh 17.5 oz and fly at 150 W (140W/lb).

??Assuming my fuzzy/ratio thinking is correct??
If I come up at 5.5 oz and fly 47W …
Then (47W is to 5.5oz) as (?W is to 16oz) = 137 W/lb.
Is this a coincidence or what
chaosMurphy is offline Find More Posts by chaosMurphy
Old Nov 23, 2007, 10:08 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Great looking peanut Gramps. Should fly great with that kind of power.

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old Nov 23, 2007, 03:01 PM
The Dude Abides
Brockport
Joined Sep 2005
315 Posts
Would adding any sort of a step (say no more than 1/4") or perhaps a third kfm strip accomplish anything other than better/more lift per the wing span?
beemus
Beemus is offline Find More Posts by Beemus
Old Nov 23, 2007, 03:52 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Oct 2006
2,392 Posts
Jasta, I found the CF after a little tinkering..It wasnt very much fun to fly though, needed a bigger elevator.

Elevator warping is when you fly at full throttle and do a waterfall, then the plane jerks hard left or right. This happeneds because the foam is soft and the pressure makes it warp. It jerks hard one way because of where the push rod horn hooks up to, and the small material that joins the two halves together isnt very stiff..
ziomatrixacs is offline Find More Posts by ziomatrixacs
Old Nov 23, 2007, 06:24 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Oct 2006
2,392 Posts
I just watched the video.
Looks like a fun little plane, I think ill build one like it. Not sure if Ill use the KF stuff though. Maybe a 32" profile of it?
ziomatrixacs is offline Find More Posts by ziomatrixacs
Old Nov 23, 2007, 08:31 PM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemus
Would adding any sort of a step (say no more than 1/4") or perhaps a third kfm strip accomplish anything other than better/more lift per the wing span?
beemus
I think a taller step would indeed add lift, but it would also add drag. I'm not sure if the added drag difference on such a short step would really be noticable at our normal airspeeds. Then there's always the KFm3 to address that issue.

As designed the plane has plenty of lift for what I'm asking it to do. I mean, it's not supposed to carry a camera or anything. And the inverted flight charcteristics are the best I've flown yet. Still, it'd be interesting to see this plane with a KFm4 on both wings just for shiggles.

kendall
Old Nov 26, 2007, 04:27 PM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Tony,

Got home from work early today and took the Pitts out to stretch her wings again. Doing some...umm...motivated maneuvers I managed to pull the center cabane free from the PU that held it to the monoblock. Not sure what actually did it and nothing bad happened. She just started feeling funny and making buzzy noises so I brought her down for inspection. Any suggestion on how to reinforce the center cabane? Popsicle stick? Double foam layer?

This is such a fun plane! Inverted flight is such a snap to control. I was making inverted passes lower and lower working up my nerve. Did one WOT 5ft off the deck for about a 50ft line before I chickened out. Still, it's really a confidence builder to have a plane respond so briskly and positively to control inputs.

Is anyone else building this remarkable plane yet? If not, you're really missing out on some great fun.

kendall
Old Nov 26, 2007, 05:19 PM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,119 Posts
Its in the project line along with the pawnee.

Del
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
Old Nov 26, 2007, 05:39 PM
Registered HotGlue Addict
Joined Dec 2006
1,479 Posts
Tony’s Challenger peanut scale.
Maiden this afternoon. These are post maiden pics.
Huge success on two cells (18 Watts)
Was into third flight when XMTR beeped low Volts.

Gramps failed AUW … she porked out at 4.25oz, goal was less than four.

My choice of foam for top wing center strut was 3/32 inch and a tad feeble for my building style. I broke it twice while building the model. Three flights and one very abrupt landing (my first balance adjustment) revealed no problem. I used same material for tail plane and N struts no problem.

Second peanut already on building table but this time all hardware will be cut into, rather than glued onto profile and predict 3D with better axial balance, less under camber and three cells (apx. 40 W)

!!Thanks Tony!!
chaosMurphy is offline Find More Posts by chaosMurphy
Old Nov 26, 2007, 06:17 PM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Cool Gramps, congratulations on your successful maiden flight.

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old Nov 27, 2007, 09:05 AM
The Dude Abides
Brockport
Joined Sep 2005
315 Posts
Modified Pitts Monobloc

Well I am starting my Pitts Build and plan on covering this model with a newspaper and Water-based Poly Urethane on everything but the wings (except for the wing struts).

I am also going to include fishing line tension wires mainly for looks on the wings, but also for strength.

After studying the plan and looking at the pics here I decided to alter the monobloc and share for what its worth. On the lowest level of the block I am installing my aileron servos lying on their sides and sticking out the sides of the fuse.

The middle level will be for the Rx and the top level will be for the rudder and elevator servos.

The hatch cover will be sanded roundy and secured with magnets. Just my two cents, love the plans Tony!

Peace....Beemus
Beemus is offline Find More Posts by Beemus
Old Nov 28, 2007, 12:24 PM
Joined Sep 2004
269 Posts
Tony, how come the step portion of the wings do not come all the way out to the tips? I'd like to make them full span, for looks if nothing else, but will the handling suffer? Maybe more apt to tip stall?
Thanks,
Andy
miniman is offline Find More Posts by miniman
Old Nov 29, 2007, 11:46 AM
Joined Sep 2004
269 Posts
Hello? Where'd you guys go? Unless there is a flood of "no don"t do its" I'm going forward with full span steps, after all it's only foam
Andy
miniman is offline Find More Posts by miniman