United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del-Dredd
...looks like it shifts some.

Del
Yeah...about that...

To tell the truth I just started in RC in late May of this year with Tony's Blu-Baby, so I've only been flying for what...6 months? I've built probably 15-20 planes, but this is my first real, balls-to-the-walls aerobat and only my fourth 4-channel bird (gpw's Simple Fokker and 2 of Tony's Pawnees). I honestly wouldn't blame the plane for anything you see amiss with the maneuvers.

kendall
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2007, 03:58 PM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
I know you have no time to build but,Tony, you really need one of these! How can you stand it? It's your design and it flies like nobody's business! You want me to box one up and send it to ya RTF style?
Old Nov 19, 2007, 05:07 PM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,116 Posts
Manouvres look good, when i said it shifts some, I was on about how it looks as if it flies fast as well.

You seem to fly well enough for only 6 months and 4th 4ch plane, then again it depends how often you fly i suppose. Still great flying anyway.

Del
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
Old Nov 19, 2007, 05:47 PM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuppertn
I know you have no time to build but,Tony, you really need one of these! How can you stand it? It's your design and it flies like nobody's business! You want me to box one up and send it to ya RTF style?
Kendall, it is hard to take, it's true. I appreciate your offer but I have three monoblocs cut and a pile of fanfold, plans are printed and I'm gonna start as soon as I get a spare minute.

It is very kind of you to offer (heck, I hope I can still fly one. I may have to work out on a Blu-Baby for a while. LOL)

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old Nov 19, 2007, 05:47 PM
New Hampshire-seacoast area
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
congrats on the nice build and great flying kendall, and another great design Tony!!

I might try making one, but I think it's a bit too advanced for me, I'm still enjoying the pawnee, and getting comfortable with learning to fly inverted.

How would you describe the way it flies compared to the pawnee? Roll rate looks way faster, will it slow down for putz'ing around like the pawnee?

Keep up the good work!!

Paul
praymond is offline Find More Posts by praymond
Old Nov 19, 2007, 06:34 PM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
It should slow down fine Paul, just limit the control throws.

Tony
Old Nov 19, 2007, 06:53 PM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del-Dredd
Manouvres look good, when i said it shifts some, I was on about how it looks as if it flies fast as well.

You seem to fly well enough for only 6 months and 4th 4ch plane, then again it depends how often you fly i suppose. Still great flying anyway.

Del
LOL! I guess I'm showing both my noobishness and my inability to translate British vernacular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praymond
I might try making one, but I think it's a bit too advanced for me, I'm still enjoying the pawnee, and getting comfortable with learning to fly inverted.

How would you describe the way it flies compared to the pawnee? Roll rate looks way faster, will it slow down for putz'ing around like the pawnee?

Keep up the good work!!

Paul
She's actually surprisingly docile when she's not suckin' down the amps in all out party mode. She does need to be flown pretty constantly as there's absolutely no self correction in any attitude. She does great slow high alpha stuff although my setup is not really suited for that. I'd like to see someone slap on a KDA20-22L swinging an 11x3.8SF and see what happens.

It's difficult to compare to the Pawnee. They have very different personalities. The Pawnee is laid back, forgiving and has this seductive kind of groove to her. The Pitts is phrenetic and edgy like she's just begging for it, even in slow mode. She'll putz around, but she doesn't seem to enjoy it. The Pawnee is classic Motown--the Temptations, Supremes...at her funkiest maybe Rick James. The Pitts is AC/DC. Can you turn down the volume for AC/DC? Sure, but why?

kendall
Old Nov 19, 2007, 06:53 PM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
OK kids! Is this Sean Tucker or Kendall? Betcha can't guess!

2006 NAS/JRB Willow Grove Air Fest - Sean Tucker (9 min 47 sec)
Old Nov 19, 2007, 06:57 PM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
C'mon, Tony. Now really, everybody knows...my plane is blue.

EDIT: ...and it doesn't smoke like that unless I hook up the battery backwards.

kendall
Old Nov 20, 2007, 02:32 AM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,116 Posts
Its obviously not electric as they tend to stop working once the magic smoke gets out.

Del
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
Old Nov 20, 2007, 10:07 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,329 Posts
Ah!

I just can't keep up!
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Nov 20, 2007, 10:47 AM
Joined Sep 2004
266 Posts
Yippee!! another great design from Tony! If one Kfm wing is good, two has to be great!
I've got a couple cd rom type motors needing a home, do you think a 75% version would work? That's about a 22.5" span. The thickness of the wing/step percent wil be a little more than designed if I use two layers of fff, but it sure will make a stiff wing. Probably can leave out the ply in the lower wing. Got the plans printed........
Thanks,
Andy
miniman is offline Find More Posts by miniman
Old Nov 20, 2007, 11:07 AM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Hey, Andy. I don't see why it wouldn't work. Tony would know better than I.

If you leave out the ply brace, the critical area of the wing will be where the wing KF strips butt against the center KF strip on either side of the fuse. Might not be an issue with the smaller plane's lighter weight. Maybe just put some good packing tape or strapping/fiber tape at the KF joints and a strip across the bottom of the wing. Consider, perhaps, a popsicle stick there instead of the ply.

Take pics, too.

kendall
Old Nov 20, 2007, 04:16 PM
Joined Sep 2004
266 Posts
Hey Kendall, I'm sure that the plane would fly in it's reduced state, it"s more a question of whether the power from my cd rom motor would be enough to do the plane justice. I think that one I have could develop about 100 watts. One way to find out, cut build, fly.
Andy
miniman is offline Find More Posts by miniman
Old Nov 20, 2007, 05:28 PM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Of course it will fly but do the popsicle stick brace on the bottom wing between the layers. 100 watts will fly her full size.

Tony