HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2007, 12:35 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Sep 2006
338 Posts
Discussion
Decisions...Mini Ultra Stick or E-Flite Mini Pulse XT

My dilema is i can get both of these planes assembled and ready to go for the same price.

Which one...?????????????

The pulse has a heavier flying weight but i will be using the same electronics in either plane so im guessing the MUS would perform better and make the motors life easier seeing as it will be lighter.

Can i please get some feedback on the planes, quality, construction, flight performance, availability of parts etc.
I need advice/convincing

Thanks, Daniel
legine is offline Find More Posts by legine
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2007, 01:34 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Sep 2006
338 Posts
oh yeah and also......it says i need servo extensions and a y-harness, how many servo extensions and how long???(im assuming i only need one y-harness, is this correct?)
Old Nov 18, 2007, 05:54 AM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
Do a search, there are seveal threads on each airplane.

The Mini Pulse is actually more docile than the MUS, so it depends on your skilll level and how you want to fly.

On my MUS using Hitec HS-55 servos, no extensions were required.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Nov 18, 2007, 09:17 AM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Jan 2007
6,765 Posts
I dont think you can go wrong with either one. I read everything I could about both and it was still a toss up. Finally desided to try the prettier low winger.
GoldCraft is offline Find More Posts by GoldCraft
Old Nov 18, 2007, 02:25 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Sep 2006
338 Posts
pinecone how long was the servo wire from the servo to the start of the plug on your HS-55's???
When you say docile, do you mean easier to manage on the ground (construction etc) or in the air???
And Goldcraft, are you happy with your pulse???
if you had to make the same decision today what would you choose??

Thanks, daniel
Old Nov 18, 2007, 03:24 PM
Southwest Missouri
Joined Oct 2002
1,354 Posts
On my Mini Pulse I used two 6 inch servo extensions for the rudder and elevator servos mounted in the back area of the fuse.

I Omitted the 2 wing extensions by cutting a small size hole in the wing covering on the bottom where the servo & Y wires would meet. Grabbed the factory installed 'pull' string. Cut in half. Tied one side to the Y and pulled end of Y through the hole in wing covering.

Tied the other half to the servo in wing wire. Pulled through the hole. Plugged servo wire and Y harness together, secured with string so they cannot get loose, stuffed back into wing. Put sticker over holes in coverings.

Sounds complicated but only takes a few minutes.

I did not care for the tinted canopy with no pilot so I spray painted the inside with silver after lightly scuffing with fine scuff pad and masking outside.

E-flight 480 motor, APC 11/8 prop, Electron rec, H-55 servos, C.C. 35 controller, T.P.Prolite 2100 3 cell batteries. Left the wheel pants off.

Flying buddy has the same equipment in a M.U.S. Similar performance as my M.P.XT.
mode1 is offline Find More Posts by mode1
Old Nov 18, 2007, 04:46 PM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
I have no idea. They are stock HS55s.

The Mini Pulse is supposedly more docile flying.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Nov 18, 2007, 08:09 PM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,369 Posts
I think the mini pulse is more fragile due to it's more intricate design. Mini pulse can be pretty docile but man is it fast with the 480 on tap. The control surfaces are too small for small park flying IMHO.
JimTMich is offline Find More Posts by JimTMich
Old Nov 18, 2007, 08:12 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
I have a MP and it is a joy to fly. Looks great in the air and on the ground. I believe (according to DoC Austin) the MUS is a more aerobatic plane, but you certaily can't be the way the MP flies AND looks.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Who Appreciates Your Work?
Old Nov 18, 2007, 10:21 PM
Flying is a Gamble...
Front Royal, VA
Joined Jul 2003
475 Posts
I just maidened my MUS the other day, and I LOVE it. Without a doubt one of the most fun smaller electric planes I've ever owned! I haven't flown the Pulse, so I can't compare the two, but I sure do like the MUS. With the full-span flaperons, landings are slower than any other balsa e-plane I own. A real joy to fly!

My advice would be to buy both of them!!!
N925WB is offline Find More Posts by N925WB
Old Nov 18, 2007, 11:31 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Sep 2006
338 Posts
as much as i would love to get the mini pulse i think i am going to go with a MUS, it is lighter, more aerobatic and i have heard nothing but positive things about them.
So thats my decision, unless someone can convince me otherwise.

What is the availability of parts for the MUS like??

Pinecone:
I see that the HS-55 wire length is 16cm, the servo's i am getting wire length is 15cm. Will i be able to get away without purchaing servo extensions???

Thanks, Daniel
Old Nov 20, 2007, 02:55 PM
Meridian, MS
Joined Apr 2007
139 Posts
You'll love the MUS. Do yourself a favor and put nylon screws (4-40) in the landing gear before flying though. Set up low rates at about 60% - 70% and run about 50% expo and it is gentle as a kitten on low rates. Landings are slow and easy.
jimw1956 is online now Find More Posts by jimw1956
Old Nov 20, 2007, 11:25 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Sep 2006
338 Posts
thanks, yeah i was going to get the nylon bolts for the landing gear, thanks for the size though.
Would these screws work on the MUS landing gear:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=4829

Thanks for the setup tips.

Daniel
Last edited by legine; Nov 20, 2007 at 11:40 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 09:44 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Sep 2006
338 Posts
Does anyone know where i can get some nylon bolts for the landing gear????
I dont know if my hobby shop has them but i will find out soon.

The size is 4-40 (does that mean diameter=4, length=40??)

Would these work:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/...?idProduct=4829

Please help??

Thanks, Daniel
Old Dec 17, 2007, 01:42 AM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,983 Posts
Daniel,
No, those won't work. 4-40 is the size of the bolt. It can come in many lengths, 3/8, 1/4, 1/2, 1 inch ,etc... The one in your link is metric 4mm x....
I ordered a box of them from these guys, along with a huge assortment of different size bolts, screws, washers, etc I spent last winter building myself and ultimate fastener collection from these guys. It has really payed for itself this year building all my planes!!!!
Just select the nylon screw section and look for the 4-40 stuff.
BTW, I tried the nylon bolts on my gear, but found the easiest landing still caused them to pop, letting the gear come off and scraping the crap out of the bottom of my plane. I went back to metal and haven't had an issue since. I also had to recover the bottom of my fuselage! I didn't even have any hard landings to cause it. Be very careful and don't overtighten the bolts, they have very little shear strength and you can weaken them significantly when installing them.
Good luck, hope this helps,
ken
http://www.microfasteners.com/
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member