SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 17, 2007, 02:21 PM
RELAX. You'll live longer
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
3,292 Posts
Build Log
Confederate Blockade Runner

Well I've tried most things on this forum so now it's time to try a build thread.
No doubt I will need to draw on the wealth of knowledge & experience on this site to solve a few problems along the way for which I will be extremely grateful.
So. It's a semi scale model of a Civil War -Confederate blockade runner.
It's from a free plan in Model Boats (October 2006) by Glynn Guest. I have however doubled the size to 1550mm (61"). It was started some months ago & shelved (before I knew about computers & this forum) so I have no pics of the original hull build. It's just a flat bottom box, pointy at one end & blunt at the other, as is Glynns' style. All balsa. 10mm deck & bottom, 6mm sides. A couple of 10mm bulkheads & stem piece. Very strong.
This is my first effort at a paddle wheeler. The original model had one motor driving both wheels but I plan on using two drives with a mixer for better control & effect.
Here's the build so far.
Best regards,
Paul.
785boats is online now Find More Posts by 785boats
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2007, 04:30 PM
River Rat
Flatwoods, KY
Joined Feb 2006
792 Posts
The fellows at Paddle Ducks would like to see your build.
They're all about paddle driven vessels.
There's several Aussies there as well.
http://www.paddleducks.co.uk/
towboatjoe is offline Find More Posts by towboatjoe
Old Nov 18, 2007, 11:32 PM
Minnetonka Minnesota
Joined Aug 2007
1,244 Posts
Pretty nice looking hull Paul, please post progress. I've not built a paddle boat before, it's interesting. Might be interesting to power it with steam, that might be tough on the balsa though. Are you going to seal the balsa in something? Epoxy maybe? Cap
capricorn is online now Find More Posts by capricorn
Old Nov 19, 2007, 01:24 AM
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
3,292 Posts
Thanks guys.
Towboatjoe. I might post a link & see if they're interested.
Capricorn. I'm afraid steam power is a black art that I'm too nervous to mess with. Yet. But I agree, it would look special. I decided at the start that because it's an old ship, I would build it in the old fashioned modelling style. The only sealer will be dope & talc for grain filler. Dope & tissue for surface sealer. All the structure will be balsa, ply, & cardboard as per Glynns' original design. I love working with balsa. However the wheels are made from styrene sheet to be more waterproof. Again, as per the original design.
As an aside, I'd like to say that I've been following your thread on the Elco PT boat with a great deal of interest. Great work.
I've been assembling the wheels the last couple of evenings. Will post some pics later.
"till then,
Paul.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 02:40 AM
1855-1921 Naval Fan
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2006
577 Posts
Great Minds Think Alike... maybe

Are you sure you don't mean the Glynn Guest plans from Model Boats February 2007?...

...'cause that's what I've been quietly up to recently and your new hull looks alike my new hull. I've been using Feb'07 GG plans for an Ironclad too, much later than your paddle wheeler though. I was going to get the copyshop to fiddle with the dimensions to make her wider in the middle but the scan was going to cost 20 times more then just getting them copied on to card Yeah I'm being cheap.

Now do I post all my pictures now and start a build log, or quietly work away and play a game of "Name Stu's Model?" after she's finished... hmmm

Stu
Stu :) is offline Find More Posts by Stu :)
Old Nov 19, 2007, 03:54 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,624 Posts
Stu, I thought it was one of Van Halen brothers at first!

Nice to put a face with the name. Let's hope that blockade runner doesn't get near your Monitor.

Chuck
herrmill is offline Find More Posts by herrmill
Old Nov 19, 2007, 06:30 AM
1855-1921 Naval Fan
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2006
577 Posts
So I guess I won't be doing myself any favors admitting that I own a Stratocaster?

Chuck I'll reply to your email soon I've been having 'mother' issues, you'll known what I mean Also it's a plural... Monitors

Stu
Old Nov 19, 2007, 08:03 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,624 Posts
Stu,

Not problem, take all the time you need. I just received a nice email from Steve & Bill, & I believe we've got a nice supply of drawings for the Civil War fleet.

Chuck
Old Nov 19, 2007, 08:12 AM
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
3,292 Posts
Hi Stu.
I see the similarities. A lot of GG hulls look almost the same at the start. That's his style I guess. I'll dig back through my mags & see if i can find out what you're up to.
Here are some pics of the wheels. They are 180mm (7") so they needed a substantial fixing to the shaft to handle the torque. I soldered a brass insert from a universal joint into a piece of brass plate & bolted it to the inside face of the wheels. Another one glued to the hub on the outside of the wheel gives 2 points of attachment to the shaft via grub screws.
Buy for now,
Paul.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 10:08 PM
Minnetonka Minnesota
Joined Aug 2007
1,244 Posts
Paul, the wheels look great. How are you going to drive them? Roller chain & sprockets might be interesting if it's exposed. I'm not familiar with them, how fast do the wheels usually rotate? Do you operate each side independently? Maybe a differential for turning, not that it would be needed I suppose.

Are you all building a fleet of civil war ships? Cap
Old Nov 20, 2007, 03:12 AM
1855-1921 Naval Fan
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2006
577 Posts
Paul you'll find that the plans I'm using are for a Fletcher, but for me they screamed a much earlier cruiser. The last few times I've sent out my Lindy Blue Devil part of my brain has wiped off the top of the deck and replaced it with an Emden, Admiral Spaun, Cressy Class... perhaps I need my eyes tested again.

Nice build so far, I've often looked at paddle wheeler RC models and have muttered "gosh" and I thought steam was hard enough...

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricorn
Are you all building a fleet of civil war ships? Cap
Hmmm, can't speak for everyone else but ummm... quick look over there, it's a tiger! <Stu quietly slopes off whilst everyone is distracted>

Stu
Old Nov 20, 2007, 08:18 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,624 Posts
Paul,

Your build looks interesting - do you have any specific ship in mind that you are using as reference towards your model?

Cap,

This may well be the ultimate in globalization with a few folks who think outside the box. Stu likes the old ships like a few others I know so stay tuned...

Chuck
Old Nov 20, 2007, 06:22 PM
Minnetonka Minnesota
Joined Aug 2007
1,244 Posts
I'll keep my eye's on it. I like the old ships too, there were a lot of interesting variations during the period changing over from wood sailing to steel. Cap
Old Nov 21, 2007, 02:31 AM
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
3,292 Posts
Hi guys. Thanks for your interest. I'll answer your questions as best I can

Capricorn.
As the final speed of the wheels should be about 300 to 350 rpm I'm going to use a couple of hi torque 5 pole speed 400 motors through a 3:1 gearbox then geared down further with belts & pulleys. Probably on 6 or 7.2 volts.
I intend to run them through a mixer with the rudder, or each on a separate channel on my 4 channel TX.

Stu.
I see where you are heading with the Fletcher hull. Nice one. I think your "vision" is fine. No need for testing. As long as we can all see it too.
I am always fascinated when the steam guys at our club fire up their home made boilers & steam engines. That's all too complicated for me.

herrmill.
No particular ship in mind. I'm going to build it as per the drawings by Glynn Guest. It is a semi scale model. I chose it to be quick & easy & cheap because I have all the wood, motors, gearboxes, batteries, ESCs, dope, paint, etc etc etc. No doubt I'll add more scale detail as the model nears completion.
This is probably the closest ship to this model that I can find in looks. The Colonel Lamb. But I'm sure there are many others in this style.
http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/s...c/col-lamb.htm
Anyhow. Must go. The kids are doggin' me for the computer to do homework on. That doesn't happen very often.
Regards,
Paul.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 03:05 AM
excuse my poor english...
Germany, RP, Asbach
Joined Dec 2003
125 Posts
Hi Paul,

what do you think about using a special gear for the wheels? I donīt know the english word, in german itīs called "Gleichlaufgetriebe". Itīs a gear that allows you to use one motor for thrust and the second one for steering. Also it makes sure that both wheels rotate exactly with the same r.p.m. by using the thrust motor only. You can combine both motors for variable curve radius or even turn on the spot. Of course you could combine it with the rudder.
This kind of gear is used in many tanks for driving the chains. Itīs a bit difficult to build, but I think the work is worth the result.

Greetings,
Franz
Jettaheizer is offline Find More Posts by Jettaheizer