HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 14, 2002, 06:15 PM
Vertical Wake
splatman's Avatar
visalia ca
Joined Dec 2002
735 Posts
GWS p-51 flight report

first flight today. AUW about 16.5 oz w/ 6c 1100AE. No landing gear, no rudder, scale pilot (really worth it), a little cockpit detail. Tracked really well, needed a lot of downtrim. The cockpit battery cover fell off after the first loop (after dive). Not real fast with 6 cells, but flew well. Also slowed down pretty nice. Looks GREAT in the air. I think I will go the 9x7 w/ 8 720nimh cell route to get a little less wieght/ more power. has any body tried those AAA 700 nimh cells from BYD? Although the 720 pack will wiegh a little less than the 6 1100ae cells. i am worried about CG as the 1100 pack is pushed all the way forward. BTW, I found that using a sharpie around the panel lines and going over LIGHTLY with 000 steel wool helped the looks a lot. It seemed to dull the color slightly and looked more realistic. The reason the thing need so much down trim was i failed to line up the BOTTOM of the elevator with the horizontal stab. Be careful of up elevator when turning; it wants to flop over on its back (tipstall)
splatman is offline Find More Posts by splatman
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2002, 06:48 PM
Registered User
Fremont, CA
Joined Sep 2002
90 Posts
Thanks for the report

How about a picture? I'm gonna start building one next week and I'd like to get ideas on setups and mods. I was originally gonna put retracts but it seems like big hassle to get them installed so I might just go with the stock setup.

Can you also post your electronic setup (receiver, esc, etc)?

Thanks.
dbx824 is offline Find More Posts by dbx824
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2002, 07:19 PM
Rehab is for quitters
LuckyArmpit's Avatar
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
I just got one of these too. However, an x-mas present.
So, must wait until Sanny Clause says so. The one I have has
the 300 C motor/GB combo. I'm wonderin if I can use 830 Qualcomms with it. Already run a pack in my Varmint.

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2002, 07:32 PM
Vertical Wake
splatman's Avatar
visalia ca
Joined Dec 2002
735 Posts
don't have any pics yet, but hope to soon. I am using:

(2) h-55
GWS R4N Rcvr
Castle Creations Pixie 20


I was really thinking retracts also, but I decided to go the easy way (and lighter). I may buy another p-51 (unpainted if I can find one) and use retracts. I kind of wonder how the pixie BEC will deal with 4 servos (adding rudder) and 8 720nimh cells. I also used a ply spar instead of the supplied bamboo one.
splatman is offline Find More Posts by splatman
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2002, 09:32 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Re: GWS p-51 flight report

Quote:
Originally posted by splatman
first flight today. AUW about 16.5 oz w/ 6c 1100AE. No landing gear, no rudder, scale pilot (really worth it), a little cockpit detail. Tracked really well, needed a lot of downtrim. The cockpit battery cover fell off after the first loop (after dive). Not real fast with 6 cells, but flew well. Also slowed down pretty nice. Looks GREAT in the air. I think I will go the 9x7 w/ 8 720nimh cell route to get a little less wieght/ more power. has any body tried those AAA 700 nimh cells from BYD? Although the 720 pack will wiegh a little less than the 6 1100ae cells. i am worried about CG as the 1100 pack is pushed all the way forward. BTW, I found that using a sharpie around the panel lines and going over LIGHTLY with 000 steel wool helped the looks a lot. It seemed to dull the color slightly and looked more realistic. The reason the thing need so much down trim was i failed to line up the BOTTOM of the elevator with the horizontal stab. Be careful of up elevator when turning; it wants to flop over on its back (tipstall)
Splatman,

I still have my P-51D in it's box, taking my time to build but, I have no plans to build because I am still have lots of fun with my GWS ZERO, Beaver and Super Piper. I got my buddy a P-51D as an early XMASS present and he will fly it Sunday morning for it's maiden.

I am surprised that you flew it with just 6 cells, I guess these are NiCad batteries, right? As far as the AAA size Ni-MH batteries, that's all I fly in my ZERO. I use the 8 Cell, 9.6Volt, AAA size, 720mAH, Ni-MH, Sanyo Flat Pack and it gives me 9 minutes at full throttle with the EPS-300C-CS motor/reduction gear.

Flight Weight with Battery Pack 15.5oz.
Battery pack weight 3.75oz.
"DRY" model weight without any electronics except 2 servos 8oz.
Controls, Ailerons and Elevator only.

My CG is critical on my ZERO and I have not have any problems with the AAA packs, they are really good packs. These particular ones I bought from AEROMICRO.COM for $25.00 (8 Cells).

Hope this helps.
Carlos.
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2002, 10:05 PM
Vertical Wake
splatman's Avatar
visalia ca
Joined Dec 2002
735 Posts
Thanks for the info Carlos. I flew it on 6 cells because all i have are 6 cell packs (GWS beaver) and 8 cell packs. I was thinking maybe some BYD Batteries 1000 nimh in a 2x4 side by side for the mustang. I think that these are good for about 8 amps. all-up weight for a n 8c pack should be about 6.5 ounces. Not a bad deal, 16 loose cells for $14.99! They also have some 700nimh 24 for around $20, but I don't know how they compare with the sanyo 720's. I think the 1000's would be a little too heavy. What about 7 HE1100's? they should be equal to 8 720's in voltage I would think.
splatman is offline Find More Posts by splatman
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2002, 10:10 PM
Registered User
Don Sims's Avatar
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
I flew mine right into the sun today, lost orentation, then nosed it in full throttle. I'll get the hot glue gun out and fix the thing. Had several great flights before being stupid!!
Don
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2002, 10:15 PM
FLYER spelled I-squared-R
fliir's Avatar
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Sep 2001
1,623 Posts
Lucky:

Propped to provide adequate thrust, the 300C will draw at least 6 - 7 amps, way too much for QC-830s.
fliir is offline Find More Posts by fliir
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2002, 10:25 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Sims
I flew mine right into the sun today, lost orentation, then nosed it in full throttle. I'll get the hot glue gun out and fix the thing. Had several great flights before being stupid!!
Don
Don! Sorry to learn of your crash!!!! I do fly into the Sun, I live in Sunny Florida and at times the wind or myself get the plane infront of the Sun. When this happens I quickly close one eye and then when the model has passed infront of the Sun, I then open the other eye to keep tack of the model. I learned this from a buddy of mine and it works!!! Your eye that has been covered still has not completely shut and it will allow you to see after the model has safetly pass away from the Sun.

Hope this helps for next time, and beleive me there will be but, hopefully not a crash....

Carlos
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2002, 11:17 PM
Registered User
Fremont, CA
Joined Sep 2002
90 Posts
You can use 2 packs of Qualcomms in parallel for a 300C setup. This is what I use on the slowstick with a 370 and a 12x6 prop, and get about 45 minutes of touch and go's and just plain goofing around. The packs don't even get warm. The only drawback is it takes each pack about 1.5 hours to charge back up so I got to pop them on the charger as soon as I get home. I'll be trying the same battery setup for the P51. With a 10x8 prop duration should be even better. It won't be fast but at least I won't have to land every 10 minutes.

Danny
dbx824 is offline Find More Posts by dbx824
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2002, 11:35 PM
Guest
California
Joined Jan 2002
859 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by guapoman2000
Don! Sorry to learn of your crash!!!! I do fly into the Sun, I live in Sunny Florida and at times the wind or myself get the plane infront of the Sun. When this happens I quickly close one eye and then when the model has passed infront of the Sun, I then open the other eye to keep tack of the model. I learned this from a buddy of mine and it works!!! Your eye that has been covered still has not completely shut and it will allow you to see after the model has safetly pass away from the Sun.

Hope this helps for next time, and beleive me there will be but, hopefully not a crash....

Carlos

hey carlos;

you should not do that in the first place. You do not need to prove anything around here... he he he
Tim2000 is offline Find More Posts by Tim2000
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2002, 11:41 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by eflightmeister
hey carlos;

you should not do that in the first place. You do not need to prove anything around here... he he he
Tim Oh, excuss me I mean EFlightmeister...

I am not proving anything here, I was never good in math.....but, I am just helping out someone .....

Regards,
Carlos
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2002, 08:42 AM
Registered User
Don Sims's Avatar
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Thanks for the idea!! I was waiting on someone to challenge it and thought Tim was the one to try!
Don
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2002, 01:30 PM
Registered User
Hankstone's Avatar
CA
Joined Aug 2002
880 Posts
My solution has been to try to keep the sun at my back and avoid putting my plane between me and the sun at all costs....

Sure I've hit a few trees because of it, but hey, what's life without a climb up a tree now and then... makes me feel 30 years younger.
Hankstone is online now Find More Posts by Hankstone
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools