HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2007, 08:56 PM
One of the usual suspects
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jun 2007
1,467 Posts
Discussion
CC Flyer conversion to 3 channel (Lots of Pictures, Info.!)

While I was admiring the Parkzone Cessna, I was put off by the price. I had happened upon the Megatech CC Flyer at Heartland America for $39.99. As an added bonus, there was a $10.00 rebate when I bought it, and free shipping. How could I resist? This is my 2nd successful 2 to 3 channel conversion, my other one documented in my blog.

I had never intended to fly it with the included electronics, so I can't tell you how it flies stock. Other people on RC Groups have been negative about it, however. If I had paid $60 to $100 for any 2 channel, I would have been negative about it too. I think that is Megatech's main problem - their MSRP is way too rich for what you get.

Toys r' Us sells this plane now, but they changed the packaging to show a plane without struts. It's overpriced at $49.99, but I've been there twice in the last month, and I noticed that they aren't moving any at all off the shelf. I guess a cub type plane doesn't excite anybody. Really, though Megatech should sell this for $19.99 like Estes does the 4160 yellow twin. I guess TRU agrees with me. I just saw an ad in the paper that has them at $24.99. If you're going to get one, nows the time.
Vicarious is online now Find More Posts by Vicarious
Last edited by Vicarious; Nov 18, 2007 at 06:29 AM. Reason: title change
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2007, 09:09 PM
Joined Jun 2007
1,467 Posts
I started by removing all of the stock electronics, and comparing them to what would replace them. The difference in weight seemed reasonable to me. I don't yet have a scale, so I used the "That looks about right." method. Next I attacked the foam battery compartment.

Using a dremel tool, I removed foam (in the shape of my 300 mah lipo and roughly parallel to the windshield) from the foam block. Battery access would be from the top now. The old electronics (except the rudder actuator) were held in place by 2 sided foam tape. I figured that would work fine for the servos and RX. Big mistake - as we'll see later

The fuselage seems to be HDPE just like a gallon milk jug. Some milk jugs are even the same color, so there may be some cheap recycling going on. :-) It is very durable, but heavy. Megatech removes plenty of material from the sides to lighten it, then covers the holes with a plastic sticker. I cut a cooling hole right below the motor for air circulation.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 09:21 PM
Joined Jun 2007
1,467 Posts
The first flight started off well, but suddenly she fell straight out of the sky. No damage from that one except the servos and RX were broken loose from the fuselage. I thought about what caused the crash. Then I figured: back pressure from the control rods pushed the servos loose! The servo tape wasn't sticking to the fuse plastic. OK. So I used cable ties to secure the servos and receiver. I also oriented the rudder servo from verticle to horizontal so I could relocate it and the linkage. Oops! The servo was now reversed! Crash #2 followed. Broke a prop. But the electronics all stayed in place!

Sorting it out, I went through all 4 props that came with the plane, so I went to the LHS to reprop it. The GWS 4530 was a near perfect match. The tachometer showed 16,800 rpm with the original and 16,200 with the new prop. I attached it to the motor shaft with a small Aluminum prop adapter.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 09:28 PM
Joined Feb 2007
858 Posts
What radio gear did you use in the swap. I just bought one and flew it in the stock form. Thought it was great! You solder a lead to the stock motor and hook it to an esc? I would guess my Hitec feather rec and hs 55's are still to big for this.
toughitaliankid is offline Find More Posts by toughitaliankid
Old Nov 16, 2007, 09:35 PM
Joined Jun 2007
1,467 Posts
Originally this model had wing struts, but they changed it because, stock, it probably wouldn't need them. The package came, and the first thing I noticed was a sticker that said Important Product Update. The gist of it was that the plane came with no struts or wing saddle. Bummer. I called Megatech at the 800 number in the instructions. I said I think it needs struts. The nice man with the New Jersey accent said they haven't had struts for over a year. He even went to another department to inquire if they had any struts to send me. None available. Oh well. After the forth flight, the wing ripped off the plane. So, I reinforced it with CF.

This plane was once sold by Radio Shack. It still had that on the box.

I hope you have enjoyed this mod. It is now one of my favorite planes!
Old Nov 16, 2007, 09:39 PM
Joined Jun 2007
1,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughitaliankid
What radio gear did you use in the swap. I just bought one and flew it in the stock form. Thought it was great! You solder a lead to the stock motor and hook it to an esc? I would guess my Hitec feather rec and hs 55's are still to big for this.
My RX is a Spektrum 3.5 gm. I think the Hitec parts are comparable. I did use the stock motor. It is just like a Cox MWB 130 motor.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 06:35 AM
Joined Jun 2007
1,467 Posts
I just found out that Hungates has these for $36.95 + $6.95 shipping. I had never heard of them before. That is the most reasonable price I have seen online w/o rebates. See here .
Old Nov 18, 2007, 07:04 AM
Checking CG is for NERDS!
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Nice job! Thanks for sharing this. That is a really tempting conversion...I suspect the servos and battery from my Cox micro war bird might be perfect for this.

Someone had a stock version of the plane at my flying field one day. It wasn't that bad, really... flight times were a bit short but it looked cool in the air.

With the 300 battery, how long will she fly? What kind of aerobatics is it capable of?
Do you think ailerons would work?
Smokescreen38 is offline Find More Posts by Smokescreen38
Old Nov 18, 2007, 12:23 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,305 Posts
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Old Nov 18, 2007, 02:22 PM
lincolnton,nc
Joined Jan 2007
612 Posts
i've purchased many of these cc flyers from auction websites for
10.00 - 20.00$ in the past, never had much success though.
couldnt keep enough props!!
goodyearman is offline Find More Posts by goodyearman
Old Nov 18, 2007, 05:56 PM
Joined Jun 2007
1,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokescreen38
With the 300 battery, how long will she fly? What kind of aerobatics is it capable of?
Do you think ailerons would work?
I haven't flown it to LVC yet. My ESC was cheap because it was for NiMH, but it works ok. Tried a loop - that's when the stock wing ripped in two. It's reinforced now.

Since it already has rudder, and dihedral, I wouldn't put ailerons on it. It has a 20 inch WS.

Modfly

Ah yes, Pappy's Trainer. They are similar. The CC Flyer's stock pack is a 6.0 volt though.

Somebody should start a sticky that lists all the RTF 2 channel and free flight conversions to 3 or more channels. That would be some good reading.

Jeff
Old Jan 06, 2008, 05:07 PM
Joined Jun 2007
1,467 Posts
I got a scale for Christmas!

So my CC Flyer modded AUW with LIPO is 131 grams or 4.55 ounces.

There was one on TRU's shelf tonight - $51.49! Don't pay that much!

There was also this old Estes Cessna - $39.99. They get one about every other month - weird.
That mod thread partially inspired me here.
Old Jan 06, 2008, 05:11 PM
Joined Jun 2007
1,467 Posts
I also had some video to watch:

Lazy Day Flyer (1 min 39 sec)

Kick back, relax, and Enjoy!
Old Jan 06, 2008, 11:16 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,305 Posts
nice plane...I'm waiting for a sale..I'm sure its a good plane stock but I will upgade it like you did so I'm paying for stuff I will not use like the stock radio gear would be too much at 50+ dollars.
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Old Feb 20, 2008, 09:01 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jul 2007
415 Posts
$51.49 * 0.75 = $38.62
This on sale enough? Not a bad time to look at it if the airframe & some parts are interesting to you.
OkFrst'r is offline Find More Posts by OkFrst'r