HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2007, 07:20 PM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
Discussion
Mud Duck Build "QUACK QUACK"

Hello everybody,I've desided to build this plane called the Mud Duck.I'm building from the plans with little change other than it will be electric powered . www.mudduckaviation.com This is the website where you can purchase the plans. The plans come with a VERY KOOL build manuel thats very helpful and funny.I'm building the MK II/Giant Mud Duck 108"w.s. As for the plans,there are 3 sheets older style blue ink plans.I used tracing paper and a dress maker tool to transfer parts onto the foam board from there I used the old #11 blade&hobbyknife to cut out the parts.Also a big tee square,a couple of straight egdes.Your assemble surface should be nice and flat.Here are a couple of pictures of what I have done so far.Enjoy,
KOMET44
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2007, 08:48 PM
AMA 42867
Joined Nov 2003
584 Posts
Neat plane and a nice concept. All straight lines makes for some easy building. Can't wait to see the finished product.
callmeishmael is offline Find More Posts by callmeishmael
Old Nov 19, 2007, 12:12 PM
D.G.B.
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
More Progress!!

Well more work done.This plane really does build quite fast.Also remember that how accurite you cut the parts is how good they will fit.Todays pictures are verticale fin fitted the wooden dowel.I used 1/4 (because I had like 20 pieces in stock from a failed project ) Plans call for 5/16. Next is the tail section glued onto the back of the fuse.When assmbling this part,be sure to put the "TOP on first!" not the bottom(like someone else did ) This makes fitting the rear section easier.The tape I'm using is "DRAFTING TAP" very low adhesion but still be careful in removeing it. There is also a picture of the inside of the tail section.I added a couple of pieces onto the back of the rear former to aid in glueing area for the rear section.This is my modification.It may help, it may not.After studing the manuel and thinking of spliting a 1/8 foam board former, it seemed a little scary to me.But if you glue both rear side sections on first it may not be so difficult.My opinion.Last picture is the vertical fin,top and bottm glued into place.Stay tuned.........

KOMET44
Old Nov 19, 2007, 12:23 PM
AMA 42867
Joined Nov 2003
584 Posts
I've been trying to think what this plane reminds me of and then it hit: Origami. Maybe Foamigami? Whatever, I like it!
callmeishmael is offline Find More Posts by callmeishmael
Old Nov 19, 2007, 04:46 PM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
Always loved the looks of the 'ducks'...

Will have to order me some plans for future developments...

-mike
msmith is online now Find More Posts by msmith
Old Nov 21, 2007, 02:43 PM
D.G.B.
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
More Progress

Well the plane is coming along.Iglued in the wing supports and also addes some 1/2 triangle stock of extra strengh.Next picture is the landing gear being assembled just like the book calls for.I used kevlar fishing string to wrap the lower wooden gear plates in place.On this plane the horizontal stablizer is 40" wide .After getting it square and straight it was way to big to leave on permanently.So I drilled 4 small pieces of 1/4 hard dowel and used them as hard pionts.Now the stab can come off and ease storage and trans port.Aslo are two brace that will be instale on hard pionts that will go from the leading edge to the tail end bottom of the fuse.PLEASE STAY TUNED TO YOUR LOCAL DUCK STATTION...........

KOMET44
Old Nov 21, 2007, 09:59 PM
feel no remorse
underground
Joined Jun 2004
1,184 Posts
Definitely following this thread, Looks real good.

First, one duck thread now the other! pretty cool
youth must fly is offline Find More Posts by youth must fly
Old Nov 21, 2007, 10:36 PM
Back in black............
dodd city tx
Joined Sep 2005
2,059 Posts
Looking great. cant want to see it finished.

Mike
cars4fun2001 is offline Find More Posts by cars4fun2001
Old Nov 24, 2007, 06:35 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,159 Posts
same build as this?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=769118
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Nov 24, 2007, 06:43 PM
feel no remorse
underground
Joined Jun 2004
1,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead_71

it sure is but the authors of the poem are different, keep that in mind.

Both are great Links: information wise!
Old Nov 25, 2007, 02:56 PM
D.G.B.
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
Well for now its just talk.On the horizontal stabilizer the leading edge is cut out.It looks to be a 1/4 round dowel.I went to a retail surplus store(Ocean State Job lot) and purchased a 48" refector on a nice 1/4 fiberglass dowel $1.50 how can you go wrong? lowes/home depot have the same for $1.99 .For the trailing edge I put a piece of 3/16 square hardwood.(something I had lying around) As for the elevator it's more a d.i.y. plan.This is how I came up with my size;the stab is 9 1/4" wide so I took a 1/4 of that which is 2 1/4" and that is my elevator width.For the length I just followed the stab sides and continued them to the 2 1/4 " mark. I will have picture after to show everything I'm talking about.(batteries on charge for camera).The next little issue is the 2" strap hinges used on the wing strut's.Stanley# 14-0160 two in a package retail $2.09 Home Depot.If you use these hinges you will need to gring the head off the center pin and drill the 2 little retaining dimples on the hinge.It must be to insure that the pin if broken can never come out.I think they changed the design since Tom Chipley built the Mud Duck.Be back soooooooooon

KOMET44
Old Nov 25, 2007, 05:22 PM
D.G.B.
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
pictures,pictures!!

Here are the pictures that go with my last post.The last picture is the reflector before it becomes airplane parts.
KOMET44
Old Nov 25, 2007, 06:47 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,159 Posts
Those are heavy parts. Steel hinges and fiberglass rod? Is that a hollow rod or solid? Fiberglass arrow shafts from your local sporting store are stronger and lighter - probably about the same price. As for the hinges... a simple terminal connector glued and/or crimped to each end of a dowel "strut" would be much lighter.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Nov 25, 2007, 08:01 PM
feel no remorse
underground
Joined Jun 2004
1,184 Posts
How big and heavy are those hinges?
Old Nov 26, 2007, 10:47 AM
USA, NJ, Cliffwood Beach
Joined May 2005
214 Posts
Nice Thread!

The strap hinges are the way all the ducks attach the wings, they have a bit of weight but they have absolutely no effect considering the tremendous lift generated by these wings.

I really wouldn't trust electrical terminals and the whole philosophy behind Mud Duck Aviation is : "Build Fast, Fly Slow" and "Function Over Form". They were never designed to be runway models, all the design was to create the flight characteristic only a Duck gives and to make it as simple as possible.

Then hinge straps have the pin removed and a hitch-pin is used to replace the pin which makes mounting and unmounting the wings take about 1 minute without fumbling around with screws, etc.

The fiberglass rod may be a bit heavy for the tail, but you can guage yourself in comparison to a dowel. Strength of the horiz. stab has never been an issue so the dowel (if significantly lighter) would work perfectly well. Keep in mind that the Duck has a very short nose and any additional weight on the tail translates to nose weight (or a more concerted effort to relocate gear to the nose).

Note: The Thread for the "Blue Duck" is slightly different in the fact that the "Blue Duck" isn't actually built from plans but is free-built based on the Mud Duck design but incorporates some changes/modifications and uses blue foam as opposed to FomeCor material. Definitely a good resource as well.

Nice Thread, clean pictures, keep it going!

Greg
Mud Duck Aviation
MudDuckAviation is offline Find More Posts by MudDuckAviation