SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 16, 2007, 10:48 AM
Joined Nov 2003
4,934 Posts
New Product
OSD from Eagle Tree with logging/Google Earth support

Hi All,

We're pleased to announce the upcoming release of our new OSD video board. The board provides razor-sharp OSD text over your existing video link, and just plugs into our eLogger and Data Recorder products and accessories.

The board is fully programmable, so we'll be adding additional features (free download) as feedback dictates. The initial software release will display all the features available with our PowerPanel LCD, + GPS.

NTSC, PAL and SECAM are supported.

Of course, all flight data are logged, and can be graphed with our software, or visualized with Google Earth.

The pre-production unit is working great in-house, and we're anticipating the first production run in late December. MSRP of $39.99 is anticipated. Once our production dates finalize we'll be offering pre-orders on the website.

Look for photos/screenshots soon, and please give us your feedback!

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Last edited by billpa; Nov 27, 2008 at 04:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2007, 11:22 AM
Lewis Center, OH
Joined Jun 2006
2,275 Posts
Planning any sort of "arrow home" and/or "distance from home" features?

I'm glad to see all these great OSD products showing up, but the decision on the best one to purchase is getting to be more and more difficult all the time!!!
Mr.Pibb is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Pibb
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 16, 2007, 11:26 AM
Joined Nov 2003
4,934 Posts
Hi Mr. Pibb,

Yes, our software already supports a "Distance from Home" feature with GPS, and we of course know the direction to home, so what you describe should not be too much of a problem - there's one technical issue we'll need to solve in the firmware but if it's a feature people want, that's what we'll do.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 16, 2007, 11:36 AM
FPV Crash Dummy
United States, CT, Bloomfield
Joined Aug 2007
402 Posts
Bill sounds like a great product! Awesome you can get a basic OSD for just over 100 bux, and add features like GPS later on.
igorp is offline Find More Posts by igorp
Old Nov 16, 2007, 12:00 PM
Joined Oct 2007
70 Posts
Bill how did you manage to get "razor-sharp OSD text" given the number of pixels you and everyone else are working with?

Cheers,

Craig.
warpig is offline Find More Posts by warpig
Old Nov 16, 2007, 02:00 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,934 Posts
Hi All,

Igor, thanks for the kind words. IMO, there's no reason for this type of technology to sell for much more than around $40USD. Our competitors may not be happy about that, but oh well. :-)

Craig, sorry for my subjective statement about video quality. Against better judgement, I'm posting an early snapshot of the OSD board in action, against a green background. In addition to this font, of course reverse video will be supported, and also the hardware supports blinking characters and multiple font sizes.

This image is shot from a PAL TV (pretty odd for a US company) but NTSC and SECAM are supported on the same unit, via a software switch.

The board will support multiple "pages" of information, just like our PowerPanel LCD. You'll be able to switch between the pages with a spare switch on your radio, since our eLoggers and Recorders all support a servo input.

Please keep your feedback coming!

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
Site Sponsor
Last edited by billpa; Nov 16, 2007 at 02:36 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 02:23 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,045 Posts
Hmm...

I already have three quarters of the stuff I need! (e-Logger with altimeter and airspeed) I guess this makes the LCD screen obsolete.

I guess I am going to have to try this.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Nov 16, 2007, 02:33 PM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,962 Posts
Could you clarify the price?, I assume that we're really talking about $39 for the OSD, $69 for the logger, and $199 for a WAAS enabled GPS?
VRflyer is offline Find More Posts by VRflyer
Old Nov 16, 2007, 02:35 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,934 Posts
Hi Pete,

Thanks for your continued support. I believe you'll be able to connect the OSD and the PowerPanel simultaneously, so that before/after your flight you can still check things even without the video running.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 16, 2007, 02:45 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,934 Posts
Hi VRFlyer,

Correct, the OSD is targeted for MSRP $39.99 (could be a little less). So our eLogger + OSD is $110 MSRP. This gives you amps, watts, volts, mAH, etc., and support for lots of other sensors. Here's a link to some of the stuff available: http://www.eagletreesystems.com/MicroPower/micro.htm

I assume that many pilots will have all the data they need with this combo, + perhaps temp(s), brushless RPM, and the altimeter expander.

if you need the GPS info also, our GPS units start at $149.99. I may have an update on that aspect soon. :-)

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 16, 2007, 02:49 PM
Free Flying
Joined Nov 2006
525 Posts
Bill, without an eLogger and GPS, what does the OSD display?

Good to see another option in the OSD market.
anci3nt is offline Find More Posts by anci3nt
Old Nov 16, 2007, 02:55 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,934 Posts
Hi anci3nt,

The OSD board is a little add-on board (about the size of my thumb) that connects with our eLogger and Data Recorder products. It doesn't do anything without those connected. That said, perhaps there's interest in using this as a low cost, generic OSD board. Not sure if there are generic OSD boards in the $40 price range out there.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 16, 2007, 04:27 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,443 Posts
Navigation is one of the hardest parts of FPV. I would strongly suggest that you do whatever it takes to make your OSD display both Distance and Direction to home.

JettPilot
JettPilot is offline Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 16, 2007, 04:51 PM
Joined Oct 2007
70 Posts
Thanks for the info. Can you define generic please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa
Hi anci3nt,

The OSD board is a little add-on board (about the size of my thumb) that connects with our eLogger and Data Recorder products. It doesn't do anything without those connected. That said, perhaps there's interest in using this as a low cost, generic OSD board. Not sure if there are generic OSD boards in the $40 price range out there.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
warpig is offline Find More Posts by warpig
Old Nov 16, 2007, 10:28 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa
Hi Pete,

Thanks for your continued support. I believe you'll be able to connect the OSD and the PowerPanel simultaneously, so that before/after your flight you can still check things even without the video running.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
Hi Bill,

One of the things that I would love to see is vario data gleaned from altimeter vs. time and possibly including airspeed changes for a total energy reading. I am still hooked on gliders and vario data in the OSD would be fantastic.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug