HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2007, 07:21 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,437 Posts
Discussion
Montgomery Model Boat Club (MMBC)

I thought I would start a new thread to tell about the Montgomery Model Boat Club (MMBC) happenings begining with this past Sundays "Ships Log".

Why let Kmot have all the fun?

Sunday Nov. 11, 2007. It was another spectacular day for sailing in Montgomery Alabama. The weather was absolutely gorgeous! We had 5 or 6 visitors try out the sailboats today. They all had fun and said they couldn’t believe how easy it is to sail one of these boats. Tug boat “Belinda” earned her keep as she rescued the fishing trawler “Bristol Bay” after a power failure, the “War Eagle” as she ran aground and the racing yacht “Crimson Tide” after she set sail with out being powered on. The later was the most interesting as the tug had to chase down the fast run away yacht, turn her toward shore where she beached herself out of harms reach and then snag and drag her back to port with the tow line. It was a very enjoyable day and one that will be remembered.

For a more complete picture you can visit our website :http://www.orgsites.com/al/montgomer...lub/index.html

Ohhh...check out the new wind vane on the "War Eagle"...

Commodore Slick
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Last edited by Capt.Crash; Nov 16, 2010 at 03:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2007, 08:20 AM
no wings any more, just dust!
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
first its the hansen dam irregulars, then now Westport Mayhem, now MMBC thread,

Hoggy, I will be watching this thread with envious eyes, to see how you do it in, is it alabama? keep up the good work.
Ghost 2501 is offline Find More Posts by Ghost 2501
Old Nov 16, 2007, 11:21 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoghappy
Why let Kmot have all the fun?
lol...
Quote:

For a more complete picture you can visit our website :http://www.orgsites.com/al/montgomer...lub/index.html
That's cheating! You gotta post all the pictures and weekly reports here!
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Nov 16, 2007, 02:48 PM
no wings any more, just dust!
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
lol...

That's cheating! You gotta post all the pictures and weekly reports here!
most definately cheeting, Tom, aren't there laws and rules against that???
Ghost 2501 is offline Find More Posts by Ghost 2501
Old Nov 16, 2007, 04:07 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,387 Posts
Kingfishers are so cool :-). Thanks for starting this club report thread.
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Old Nov 16, 2007, 04:34 PM
Joined Apr 2007
222 Posts
Looks like fun was had by all Commodore Slick!! Getting to cold here. Check out our website it has our last sail on it. Do you get bystanders that ask the question, "Does it have a motor in it?". Get that all the time here. Enjoy the winds and keep us updated.

Larry
Bikerider is offline Find More Posts by Bikerider
Old Dec 03, 2007, 10:02 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,437 Posts
Sunday, December 2, 2007 report.

Another wonderful day to play. We welcomed Capt. Terry to the club and then brought his brand new Nirvana II to life. Capt. Terry brought a fleet to play including a beautiful Chris Craft. Capt. George brought his shiny new black Nirvana II "Cubasco" to life today too. We now have a fleet of 4 Nirvana’s and expect to double that by the years end.

We had 5 others to try out the sailboats on this perfect day to sail. A gentleman from Scotland, visiting the pond with his two grandsons, now expects Santa to bring them with some shiny new boats. I was amazed how quickly the youngsters mastered the fundamentals of sailing. Capt. Sunshine took photos and sailed today too.

The temp was in the mid 70’s with a nice southerly 5 – 15 mph breeze. It doesn’t get any better than that for these sailboats. Tugboat Belinda performed her duties of mark setting and retrieval without a hitch. No boats needed rescued this time….highly unusual.

Commodore Slick
Old Dec 03, 2007, 11:44 AM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,107 Posts
Very nice report Capt Slick. You have a lovely pond to sail on. I am very envious of all the shade trees close to the waters edge that you will be able to use in the summertime.

Belinda looks great!
Old Dec 03, 2007, 03:24 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,437 Posts
Thanks Kmot...

I think she needs more power. The new marks she pulls have 6oz of weights attached and it's all she do to pull them with the weights bouncing off the bottom. I may need to request some help upgrading the prop to get more pull. The new club is starting to come right along.

C. Slick
Old Dec 03, 2007, 04:12 PM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,584 Posts
Good job there Comadore Slick. Sounds as if you are building a good base of fellow modelers that want to have fun!
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S
Old Dec 03, 2007, 05:34 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,707 Posts
Hoghappy,

Rub road salt in the wounds. We had 4" of wet snow turn to freezing rain and sleet over the weekend. My 8HP 26" snowblower went to the repair shop today after making a valiant but futile effort. Doesn't bode well for the season. I'm glad somebody got some boating in. It looks like as your club grows it will be adding quantity on top of quality. Great looking stuff.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Dec 17, 2007, 08:09 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,437 Posts
Sunday Dec. 16, 2007.

Today’s sail was interesting. The temperature was in the low to mid 40s with a cold gusty 15-25 mph NW wind. Captains Sunshine, Terry, Tom, Brian and James all stopped by for a while, but only Captain George and the Commodore got boats wet today. Tug boat “Belinda” set and retrieved the marks, and tested a new rescue device, while the racing yachts “Chubasco” and “War Eagle” tested their limits. Both Nirvanas’ did remarkably well considering the conditions.

“War Eagle” could have used some bow planes after imitating a submarine (only the mast was showing above water) on several occasions when hit with a gust, while running with the wind. The watertight hatch did its job well. All in all it turned out to be a nice afternoon once the sun came out.

The only hiccup was when “Barney Fife” told us we had to move our cars off the grass! I guess he had nothing better to do on a cold and quiet Sunday afternoon. The car he was in was just marked "Security", he was not with the City Parks and Rec. nor the Police...never seen him before...so when he sat up on the road, about 50 yards away, and hit his little siren a few times, I ignored it. I made him get out and walk down to us...shame on me!

It looks like we will either have to start parking in the road or park, unload and then move the cars to the parking lot. Hey…I can always use a little more exercise. No photos today…too bad…the submarine shots would have been classics!
Old Dec 17, 2007, 11:42 AM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,107 Posts
Another wanna be cop who couldn't pass the tests to be a real cop. They are the worse............
Old Dec 17, 2007, 12:14 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
Another wanna be cop who couldn't pass the tests to be a real cop. They are the worse............
Yip...and it wasn't like we drove on the grass and parked next to the pond. We only pulled off the asphalt enough to not be blocking traffic. People do it all the time...but we just happened to be the only ones there yesterday and he has to justify his existance somehow?

C. Slick
Old Jan 02, 2008, 10:21 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,437 Posts
New Years Day 2008

We had to cancel our rained out normal Sunday sail and move it to New Years Day…so this is the first sail for 2008. Today was another sunny southern day with temps in the upper 40s and winds N 15-25. Captain George was already sailing his yacht “Chubasco” when Sunshine and I arrived.

Captain Terry showed with his re-propped Chris Craft “Freebird” and the new driver….favors Elvis a little if ya ask me. She is a beauty. Captain Tom and his grandsons, Captains Brian and James arrived and we put another new Nirvana through sea trials. Captain Slick tested a new prop on the tugboat “Belinda” and managed to do a “Titanic” on his new Pro fisherman Bass boat. It was a good day at the park.

Captain Crash
Last edited by Capt.Crash; Jan 02, 2008 at 10:30 AM.