HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2007, 10:54 PM
Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Joined May 2001
201 Posts
Discussion
What blade angle for cyclic deflection

Hi all. I am an experienced Eheli pilot, but seem to have forgotten, or never knew what main blade pitch changes one should get with full cyclic deflection.
For collective, I know it is roughly +-11 degrees. But wonder about for aileron or elevator. Would you expect full aileron deflection to result in say 6 degrees of pitch change from center stick, or what?
If you reply, please specify whether you are talking about deflections for 3D or for hover practice.

Thanks very much, Russ.
rtront is offline Find More Posts by rtront
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2007, 11:23 PM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
About 6 seems reasonable. It varies depending on the airframe... basically whatever gets you the best cyclic response without bogging.
Andrew McGregor is offline Find More Posts by Andrew McGregor
Old Nov 16, 2007, 10:47 AM
Helicopter Pilot
Junction City, KS
Joined Sep 2004
681 Posts
Keep in mind that at around 17 to 18 degrees of deflection the airflow over the blades gets turbulent and starts to spearate from the surface of the blade creating a stalled condition.

That being said, if you are a person that frequently get on the cyclic and collective at the same time, then you might want to limit your TOTAL blade deflection to 17 or less. That means that with 11 dges on collective you should have 6 degs on cyclic.

If you are good at collective management, then you could exceed that 17 degs of total deflection and go a little more.

On my Raptors, I'm constrained to the amount of deflection that I can have before binding. So I limit mine to 6-7 on cyclic and 10 on collective.

Rafael
Rafael23cc is offline Find More Posts by Rafael23cc
Old Nov 16, 2007, 12:32 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,801 Posts
I normally adjust the swash for about 30* total travel. Many give it all they can and get binding then complain. Then diff paddles or expo for fine tuning.

FB
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Nov 16, 2007, 01:49 PM
volts x amps = watts.
Denver
Joined Sep 2006
2,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Bronk
I normally adjust the swash for about 30* total travel. Many give it all they can and get binding then complain. Then diff paddles or expo for fine tuning.

FB
Swash angle will be different for different helis, but its still another reference point.

Rafael hit the nail on the head. Practice clean inputs, and never give it full collective and full cyclic at the same time. If you want to use full cyclic for a fast roll, limit yourself to about half colelctive at most and try to only use it when you're level. 6 is good, 7 will be more responsive. Keep in mind, while in motion the flybar will never reach its maximum throws.
Wheelhaus is offline Find More Posts by Wheelhaus
Old Nov 16, 2007, 03:09 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,801 Posts

FB
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Nov 16, 2007, 03:51 PM
Helicopter Pilot
Junction City, KS
Joined Sep 2004
681 Posts
Is there an echo here?

Maybe a computer hiccup.

Rafael
Rafael23cc is offline Find More Posts by Rafael23cc
Old Nov 17, 2007, 05:32 PM
Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Joined May 2001
201 Posts
Thanks everyone. That's just what I needed.
Russ
rtront is offline Find More Posts by rtront