HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2008, 04:43 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Feb 2008
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigs dont fly
... the blades break on impact with snow....?
Hey, you try spinning at several thousand rpm and smack into a snowbank and see if you don't break!
jswilson64 is offline Find More Posts by jswilson64
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2008, 07:07 PM
How high does it go?..duh
Currently in...UK
Joined Jun 2004
2,635 Posts
Blades....I have a pair of M24 blades on a FP that have been through trees and bushes, hit the ceiling, hit the side board and still they stay intact, and have been flying and crashing the same pair for the last 3 years now.

8-10 mins of conservative flying for most helis...lol....I have an old Century Hummingbird V2 FP, this plus a few easy mods which have been applied over the years, will happily fly for over 25mins on one pack, and will solidly fly fast backwards circuits, nose in or tail in funnels. When I mess up and hit the dirt, 90% of the time its straighten the blades and paddles then off it goes again..perhaps once every so often you catch the tail and have to glue a new prop on, or bend the main a bit, but no big deal.
For $435 you can get a Trex 600N including free world wide shipping, $275 gets you a SJM500 Pro inc motor and ESC, ...spending $400 on a FP plastic heli, with 9 min duration and brittle foam blades..yes I would expect more for my money.
Pigs dont fly is offline Find More Posts by Pigs dont fly
Old Feb 19, 2008, 07:19 PM
Hirobo Helis Rock
Canada, ON
Joined Mar 2005
28 Posts
Hey Pigs Don't Fly, I am happy you love your other electrics so much but this post is about the Hirobo Quark. First of all you have never flown or seen this heli in person and if you think it is a waste of money then so be it, but I am happy with what I have and that's what this hobby is all about - Having Fun and spending money

Cheers
Blik
Blik is offline Find More Posts by Blik
Old Feb 19, 2008, 07:47 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbusa05
Thats the whole point of having foam blades; they break first, thus in most cases saving more costly parts.
If you are interested in making the foam blades more durable,
a common modification with the Hirobo XRB lama is to wrap the blades
in a layer of tape, either plain packing tape or fiber reinforced tape.

For me, with a single layer of plain packing tape, the weak point on the blade shifts
to where the blade grip bolts onto the blade (and the tape cannot reach
in order to keep the blade thin enough to fit the grip).
The blade still breaks first and keeps other things from breaking.

On another matter, it is good to hear that the Quark is easier to adjust and
trim than the XRB. Well adjusted, the XRB is very steady (steadier than an
Esky lama2), but as mentioned in this thread, that adjusting takes a quite a bit of work.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Feb 19, 2008, 07:51 PM
USA, Mt, Great Falls
Joined Nov 2006
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blik
Wow a lot of negative comments from people who never even had a chance to fly a Quark. I own one and have owned a lot of the "cheaper" small helis and there is no comparison. If you like spending your money on parts and upgrades and wasting your time tweaking, checking the belt tension and fixing small problems rather than flying, then go purchase the less expensive helis. This heli flys very similar to itís larger brothers and for beginners it will improve your flying skills faster than a flight sim.

I flew the Quark for 9mins of forward flight and I just flew my blade CX2 for 8 mins and put back 640mAh(80%) into the stock Eflight lipo. Most electric helis you are lucky to get 8-10 mins flying very conservatively. The snow bank I hit was rock solid and going in full tilt with only $2.75 worth of damage. that is definitely a cheap crash.

The price of blades are cheap compared to the overall price of a crash on any other small heli.

Main Blades(8 per pack) $11.00
Tail Blades(4 per pack) $6.00

If you can not afford this well built heli then spend a little less, but I guarantee you will spend more in your time and parts in the long run.

Cheers
Blik
HBFP cost $74. Blades never break or hardly ever. HD landing gear $29.
Stuff that usually breaks if you don't cut the throttle.
Head: $2
rotor head $7
swash $3
ring push rods $1.50

If you cut the throttle before impact then usually head just pops off and you can pop it back on. I've crashed mine more time than I charged the batteries for it. So far after 4 months I've broken the landing gear upper part twice $8, one swash $3, one Head $2 two rotor heads $14 and 3 sets of push rings $4.50

stuff that just wears out
Main motor $7
Tail motor $ 7

Haven't wore any of mine out but it will happen.

The reason I brought this up is because to equal the price of the SRB Quark taking the current prices of the parts listed on this site
http://www.helidirect.com/index.php?cPath=38_235_262

you would have to break
$380.00 worth of parts or
54 rotor heads or
190 blade heads or
253 push rings or
126 swash plates........

but to equal the price of the Quark you would also have to take in account how many blades you go through in the same amount of crashes.

Not saying the quark is a bad product or anything just saying what it would take in parts on a "cheaper" heli to equal it is all

Deserteagle is offline Find More Posts by Deserteagle
Old Feb 19, 2008, 09:06 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserteagle
Not saying the quark is a bad product or anything just saying what it would take in parts on a "cheaper" heli to equal it is all
That counts up the relative cost of the heli parts.
One also needs to add in the cost of whatever the heli breaks while crashing.
This of course can get quite variable, depending on
how crowded the flying environment is,
how delicate those "obstacles" are,
how controllable the heli is, and
how much force a heli will hit obstacles with.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Last edited by flying-llama; Feb 20, 2008 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Adding more factors to cost of crashes
Old Feb 19, 2008, 11:09 PM
Joined Oct 2005
219 Posts
Hirobo does produce quality stuffs, but the extra extra extra $$$$ that you have to pay for that quality is way too high.
I still remember when I got my XRB and was so excited over it, but soon the lama and other china made clones started hitting the market. I bought the Lama and I could not believe how well it flew and on forward flight it handled way better than the XRB. Of course it does not hold the tail as well as XRB, but at less than 1/3 of the price that I pay for the XRB, it just made me wonder.......
Perhaps I will just wait for the clones to hit the market. I don't mean to offend anyone with this thread, I apologize in advance if inadvertently I did so. Just sharing my thoughts on the cost that you have to pay for this bird.
OETOMO is offline Find More Posts by OETOMO
Old Feb 19, 2008, 11:29 PM
Hirobo Helis Rock
Canada, ON
Joined Mar 2005
28 Posts
Oetomo, you have no need to apologize because we are all entitled to our own opinions. It is just like buying brand name products for your home vs generic products. Some people swear by one over the other. Everyone has different preferences but this thread started out on identifying a new small electric heli, and has turned into how expensive the Hirobo Quark is and how other helis are cheaper and better. Like a lot of forums, posts can get off track real quick. It doesn't matter what heli you buy or fly just have fun.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers
Blik
Old Feb 20, 2008, 02:07 AM
USA, Mt, Great Falls
Joined Nov 2006
417 Posts
I suspect the reason it's so high in price is both the quality in it's parts and Japan isn't a Communist country that has 1.3 billion people. In fact I suspect Japan companies pay their employees well compared to China. If this heli were to be built in the US then I have no doubt it would be the same price if not more because it simply is not easy nor cheap to bring a product to market especially one that isn't a knockoff of someone else's work. R&D is not cheap by any means nor is tooling. From what I see not much on this FP is "barrowed" from somebody else. However HIROBO needs to recognize that to offer a "premium" entry level product in a market that is filled with "valued" based products their product will be viewed by the consumer as a niche at best and their product had better offer enough quality to be viewed as worthy of such a price.

Like I stated in a previous post on this thread. If the consumer feels like they get $500 worth of entertainment/value out of this product then it's all well and good. The only reason I defended the "cheaper" heli's on the market was because the "cheaper" heli's on the market is the reason this hobby is growing at such a fast pace. If it wasn't for the cheaper helicopters I know I would'nt be in this hobby.. again. To slam them for being "cheap" doesn't really do them justice for their purpose.

The USD is sinking in value very quickly so I suspect soon things made in china will not be so cheap. China is trying hard NOT to devalue the USD because they have so much of it but with the current trade deficit and the US's economy based on compiling dept it's hard not to. Much like Japan, China's economy will continue to increase in value so the "Made in China" someday will turn into "Made in some other poor nation" just like "Made in Japan" became "Made in China". It's inevitable that China's population will expect a better standard of living therefore the demand for higher wages will increase. Isn't capitalism great!?
About the USD:
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,4692293.story

Anyway I digress and I hope those who purchase this helicopter have a great time with it and it brings them joy to the hobby.
Deserteagle is offline Find More Posts by Deserteagle
Last edited by Deserteagle; Feb 20, 2008 at 02:43 AM.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 09:56 AM
2012 ZX14R ....faster than you
USA, NV, Carson City
Joined Sep 2006
1,779 Posts
What other heli out there fills the niche that the Quark does? I can't find one!!?? Quality, durability, reliability and relatively easy to fly BOTH indoors AND outside...............the new SRB seems to be doing it all.....(Thumbs up to Blik for the ongoing ownership experiences).
The Micron V3 might come close, but it's not going to be available until well after the Quark will be here in the US, so I crossed that one off my list of possibilities. I own a HBFP, cheap and durable, a great trainer, but you can't fly it in your house, it's too big. Scratch that one off the list. Walkera 4#3? Nope, it's a crap shoot as to whether you'll get more than 3 or 4 flights out of it before a motor or some other electronic component fails.........."scratch"! And as everyone knows, there are great coaxials out there, like the Lama V3 and Blade CX/2, but they're primarily for INDOOR fun.
The only drawback, of course, is the price. For me, price takes a second seat when taking into consideration ownership satisfaction and the likelihood that you'll be spending the majority of your time having fun flying this little gem rather than spending frustrating downtime with repairs and waiting for replacement parts.
CCbusa05 is offline Find More Posts by CCbusa05
Old Feb 20, 2008, 10:18 AM
Hirobo Helis Rock
Canada, ON
Joined Mar 2005
28 Posts
Well it is nice to see we are back on track and excellent intelligent comments posted. I must stress the Quark will fly outdoors but due to it being so light, wind will affect it. If any of you buy one of these make sure you buy at least one extra battery because you will be very impatient to get this heli up in the air again.

Cheers
Blik
Old Feb 20, 2008, 03:48 PM
Scarecow
UK
Joined Sep 2004
2,361 Posts
I'm surprised that it'll fly in any wind at all really...maybe its the bell hiller head for more instant response which is a big improvement over regular laggy fixed pitch heli's. I used to have a little sub-micro heli which turned into a strange franken-heli in the end. That used to fly lovely outside unless the wind got it and then it'd just disappear in the wrong direction. Tail motors were a nightmare though.

I've had an HBFP stashed away for some time - bought it when I sold my bigger cp heli a year or so ago....never really flew it, decided to dig it out and fly it this last weekend....slapped a gws esc and pixie7p coupled up to an old jr rx and gws rate giro. Had a bit of fun in the garden for a while, clipped a washing line pole, chipped a big chunk off the trailing edge of a blade....picked it up and kept flying...bit shaky and out of balance - well actually a lot shaky but couldn't be bothered fixing it up and hey its still flying nice little circuits...oops clipped the hard packed frozen ground - broke a ball link and lost the little silicon rubber tube that holds the tail on...replaced both with spare parts, flew it some more till I hit the ground again. This time another broken ball link and the final nail was that both flybar paddles were ripped off, breaking the flybar and one paddle disappearing over next doors fence. Well I had some fun for half an hour but the final toll was, broken blade, two broken links, broken flybar, lost paddle and tail rotor bung. I wouldn't say its that durable especially if you're really gunning it around.

Mind you I broke up my old hirobo xrb too a few years ago, cracked the cabin and tail fins....maybe I'm just clumsy.

I only once broke my x400...broke one blade in a tipover after landing. perhaps because it scared me I flew it more carefully. I was never very careful with the XRB.
HoverBovver is offline Find More Posts by HoverBovver
Last edited by HoverBovver; Feb 20, 2008 at 05:17 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 05:31 PM
USA, NV, Carson City
Joined Sep 2006
1,779 Posts
Found a couple of recent vids over on youtube this afternoon, one inside and one outside flight. Do a seach on "hirobo srb"
Old Feb 21, 2008, 05:55 AM
Scarecow
UK
Joined Sep 2004
2,361 Posts
...and here are a couple of the new ones....

Hirobo SRB Quark flying in Hong Kong (1 min 2 sec)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doZFljN-RLc
HoverBovver is offline Find More Posts by HoverBovver
Old Feb 22, 2008, 08:54 AM
USA, NV, Carson City
Joined Sep 2006
1,779 Posts
Hey blik!
Lookin' good bro! Granted, blades are cheap, but you keep playing with those overhead lights and you'll be buying more than just blades!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5vKHb1biJ8