HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2009, 11:47 AM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,682 Posts
Buying used heli can be a lot like gambling, maybe you get a good one, maybe not. Buying new you know what you should be getting.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2009, 12:34 PM
USA, NC, Ayden
Joined Aug 2008
510 Posts
True,

Would my e-sky honeybee fp 4 channel transmitter work with the quark?

As the quark isn't 2.4Ghz. As long as l had the same frequency on both - should work right?
thannamhbfp is offline Find More Posts by thannamhbfp
Old Jan 08, 2009, 07:31 PM
Joined Dec 2007
6,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thannamhbfp
True,

As the quark isn't 2.4Ghz. As long as l had the same frequency on both - should work right?
Only selected TX work with the Quark.....JR, Futaba and one or two others that I cant think of since I dont have access to the manual now. Your E Sky is not going to work with it. There are codes on the RX you set depending on which TX your are using.
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Old Jan 08, 2009, 08:08 PM
Joined Jun 2007
2,152 Posts
I think 2.4ghz version will be coming out soon. I believe the reason it took so long for futaba was because of Japanese law did not allow it for RC use. Now that 2.4 is available in Japan there are rumors of a 2.4 quark.

Maybe be patient for it to be released.
whilrybird is offline Find More Posts by whilrybird
Old Jan 08, 2009, 08:09 PM
Honey,just one more thing
Rensselaer,IN
Joined Jan 2003
3,098 Posts
Quote:
True,

Is there a reason?
spudandretti is offline Find More Posts by spudandretti
Old Jan 08, 2009, 08:19 PM
USA, NC, Ayden
Joined Aug 2008
510 Posts
Thanks guys that's what l figured, l was going to buy a used quark with had no transmitter, so that's why l was wondering.

So there's going to be a 2.4Ghz version out? is it worth me holding off to buy that one.
thannamhbfp is offline Find More Posts by thannamhbfp
Old Jan 08, 2009, 09:44 PM
Joined Jun 2007
2,152 Posts
Heres what I'm hoping they come out with a 2.4 thats compatible with spectrum and futaba 2.4 radios. Probably choose your RX scheme.
whilrybird is offline Find More Posts by whilrybird
Old Jan 08, 2009, 10:04 PM
Joined Dec 2008
24 Posts
Quote:
Thanks guys that's what l figured, l was going to buy a used quark with had no transmitter, so that's why l was wondering.

So there's going to be a 2.4Ghz version out? is it worth me holding off to buy that one.
If you want one I probably would not wait for a 2.4 to arrive. I fly mine with a Futaba radio on 72mhz and have not had the first problem. No glitches or interference. It's any body's guess when 2.4 finally arrives (if ever).

But if and when it does I hope it's compatible with Futaba 2.4. With my luck it won't be. After having flown one though, I would hate to give it back and wait on a 2.4 Ghz version. I can see it now, a 2.4Ghz version with CP. Yea, I know, but it's my fantasy. Got to go. It's the 4th qtr in the national championship game.
gkholl is offline Find More Posts by gkholl
Old Jan 09, 2009, 04:41 PM
Joined Jan 2009
22 Posts
Not having much luck so far.....

I'm rather ashamed to say that I'm not having much luck hovering my Quark at the moment. I've been used to flying a Blade mcx and haven't adjusted yet. With the Blade you increase the throttle and it rises straight up - it's all far too easy. With the Quark everything is happening too quick and I run out of space in my living room - hence most of my flights have been short hops. What I'd like to do is slowing raise the throttle, apply some right rudder to keep the tail in line and then get to a point where it goes up. But at the moment I'm finding it hard to judge how much rudder to give and end up rushing the throttle just to get it off the ground. Then it tends to fly to the left and back towards me until I run out of space - get scared and bring it down - sometimes a little quickly. I understand about ground effect but at the moment don't feel in control. I need to wander along to my village hall where I have a bit more room to practice. I know I have a lot of practicing to do but at the moment it feels like I'm not making progress. Maybe I'm a slow learner and should have got a bigger coaxial like the Hirobo XRB Lama first
davidbutler is offline Find More Posts by davidbutler
Old Jan 09, 2009, 05:50 PM
Joined Dec 2008
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbutler
I'm rather ashamed to say that I'm not having much luck hovering my Quark at the moment. I've been used to flying a Blade mcx and haven't adjusted yet. With the Blade you increase the throttle and it rises straight up - it's all far too easy. With the Quark everything is happening too quick and I run out of space in my living room - hence most of my flights have been short hops. What I'd like to do is slowing raise the throttle, apply some right rudder to keep the tail in line and then get to a point where it goes up. But at the moment I'm finding it hard to judge how much rudder to give and end up rushing the throttle just to get it off the ground. Then it tends to fly to the left and back towards me until I run out of space - get scared and bring it down - sometimes a little quickly. I understand about ground effect but at the moment don't feel in control. I need to wander along to my village hall where I have a bit more room to practice. I know I have a lot of practicing to do but at the moment it feels like I'm not making progress. Maybe I'm a slow learner and should have got a bigger coaxial like the Hirobo XRB Lama first
Dave,

First, there is absolutely nothing for you to be ashamed about. Take a deep breath and be patient. I started on a trainer that I crashed trying to lift off the first 40+ times. Slow and small corrective movements of the stick is the number one lesson to learn. For some of us it's very hard in the beginning.

Spend some none flight time practicing with the transmitter turned off. Slowly move the throttle up and down until it becomes almost fluid. There is a slight delay from stick movement to helicopter movement with the Quark. Focus on just moving the sticks ever so slightly. This will take time to get adjusted to. The normal tendency is to move the stick more and more in reaction to where the model is heading. Problem is, the more you move the sticks the greater the corrections will have to be at some point. If the model is close to a wall or furniture the urgency of the correction gets a lot sooner and makes the model almost impossible to control.

Advance the throttle slowly while giving very slight right aileron (right stick moving right a couple of millimeters) to bring it up into a hover about knee high to get out of the rotor wash and slowly lower the throttle to land. Just practice this slow and gentle up and down movement with the tail pointing at you gradually bringing it up a little higher after a few times to waist high and slowly landing.

Practice with the model and transmitter off advancing the throttle to 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 position while moving the the left stick left and right slowly. The point of this is to give the model rudder while not increasing or decreasing the throttle position. This will help maintain a level hover. In the beginning, that was very hard for me for some reason. I fly mode 2 and when I gave left or right rudder I would slightly increase or decrease the throttle unintentionally. My helicopter was always bobbing up and down.

Just remember, if it is not doing what you want it to do it just means you need to practice some more (kind of a great benefit). Small rudder movements, slow and smooth throttle movements and short hops up and down working on keeping the tail pointed at you. Watch the nose of the helicopter. If the nose goes right, slowing move the left stick (mode 2) to the left and pay close attention to whether the model starts to drift left or right and slowly move your right stick left or right to level your helicopter.

Take your time and don't be like me and get frustrated and walk away from it. I did for 7 or 8 months because I didn't feel like I was progessing. I came back and struggled some more until it just clicked. At that point what I learned on the simulator transferred to controlling my model. I got very upset because I could fly the simulator but couldn't hover the helicopter. Just don't walk away.

Keep asking questions because there are a ton of fantastic people on this forum that may be able to help you with getting past a difficulty you have based on their own experiences and things that they have learned or been taught. You have more courage than I had just starting which tells me you will fly sooner than I did.

Regards,

Glenn
gkholl is offline Find More Posts by gkholl
Old Jan 09, 2009, 06:35 PM
Fargo N.D. Land of Blizzards-Floods-Mosquito's & Tornado's
Joined Jul 2008
1,168 Posts
Quote:
Heli's are the hardest RC aircraft to learn, so don't be too tuff on yourself. It just takes a ton of practice, practice, and more practice. I think you may have taken a big jump going from a mCX to a single rotor, but that's JMO. I personally started on a regular size coaxial eFlite cx2. Even learning on that heli was a challenge at first. Many, many broken blades and crashes. Nice thing with the CX2 is parts are readily available at a local hobby shop so no waiting for parts. It is less expensive to acquire, and very likely you can find a used one on eBay or here. It took me a couple months to really get comfortable with a coaxial, but then I was ready to move up to a single rotor fixed pitch. It teachs you the basic orientation, flying circuts and the basic principles of heli flying and repair. Reason I think you should go less expensive on a coaxial is that once you have mastered it, you won't be flying it much after ya get into single rotors. Coaxials simply become a tad boring, but thats just me. I have a CX2 that hasn't flown in months. Check out the CX2 here.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLH1250
By the way, excellent choice on the Quark. Not a better FP single rotor out there. It's total quality. I wish every heli was built as nice. Only problem is they are a tad high priced for an entry level for the beginner.
helinut2 is offline Find More Posts by helinut2
Old Jan 09, 2009, 06:57 PM
2012 ZX14R ....faster than you
USA, NV, Carson City
Joined Sep 2006
1,768 Posts
Like helinut says, practice, practice and more of the same! I started out in 2006 with a Esky V3 and then bought a CX and then a CX2. Months of flying and becoming familiar with each heli's individual characteristic and I finally reached a point where I wasn't robbing the bank to purchase replacement parts. Then I "tried" a HBFP..................forget it! I could hover and that's about it, any FF and if you're not immediately ready to compensate for undesired directional flight and it's all over and more money down the drain! Then came the Quark. After one month of 3 - 4 packs a day, I finally feel comfortable in doing basic circuits, etc, in the house without crashing. Anyway, what this all boils down to is this, it takes time to become familiar with the flight characteristics of any heli, the Quark is no exception. You're new to this and thus it will be a while until you get to fine tuning and trimming out your new bird, but be patient, do as the guys stated above before you start making adjustments. The Quark is very forgiving when trimmed out properly, almost to the point of hands off hovering like your MCX for seconds at a time. This feature has saved me from disaster many, many times!
Good luck and be PATIENT!
CCbusa05 is offline Find More Posts by CCbusa05
Old Jan 09, 2009, 09:22 PM
United States, MA, Webster
Joined Feb 2003
2,290 Posts
A+ rating for A-Main Hobbies .....

SLIGHTLY UNRELATED TO THE CURRENT DISCUSSION ...

Just a "Heads-Up" .. I ordered a Hirobo SRB and an E-Flite Bell 206 Jet Ranger fuselage from A-Main Hobbies, both of which showed up as "In Stock" at the time of the order. As it turned out, via an e-mail from Mike Palmer, of A-Main Hobbies, the computer inventory was off by a piece or two on the SRB, more were on the way but there was no exact ETA. I, regretfully, asked Mike to cancel the order and refund my PayPal funds .. it was done in a vrey few hours !!

I have to give www.amainhobbies.com an A+ for service and diligence .. will be looking forward to doing business with them in the future.

Thanks again Mike,

Russ
MiniBoy is offline Find More Posts by MiniBoy
Old Jan 10, 2009, 12:34 AM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,783 Posts
Quote:
I'm rather ashamed to say that I'm not having much luck hovering my Quark at the moment. I've been used to flying a Blade mcx and haven't adjusted yet. With the Blade you increase the throttle and it rises straight up - it's all far too easy. With the Quark everything is happening too quick and I run out of space in my living room - hence most of my flights have been short hops. ...
It is a large step from a co-axial to a single rotor (and my co-axial is a Hirobo Lama XRB - tethered).
It certainly took me awhile.
I wrote down the many things that helped me deal with a single rotor in this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=821304

Not all will be applicable for you as I was not flying a Quark.
Good luck and no need to be ashamed. It may be easy for some,
but it is not for many others.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Jan 10, 2009, 03:49 AM
Joined Jan 2009
22 Posts
Thanks for your encouragement - it's really helped. I suppose 'ashamed' was too bigger word - I've set my expectations beyond my capabilities and just felt a tiny bit discouraged - but no longer
All this time I've been a little too cautious so this morning I tried again and promptly crashed into the sofa and broke my first set of blades. This has been a bit of break through in a way (no pun intended!) because I found out that nothing really bad happened just a set of blades. I balanced up a new set and noticed an immediate difference - more stability when taking off. So you do have to read the manual after all

A QUESTION: I recognise that I don't have precise joystick control and alter the throttle when adjusting rudder and the suggestions given will help.
However, when things look bad I cut the throttle too quickly - any tips on how I should get out of this bad and potentially damaging habit?.

And it goes without saying that concentration is the key, unlike the Blade mcx that can almost fly itself without much intervention. And I suppose if it were too easy then it wouldn't be fun.

So I'm in a much happier mood now and will get back to relentless practice - thanks for all your help it is much appreciated!
davidbutler is offline Find More Posts by davidbutler