HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 17, 2011, 04:46 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
Hey Helipath, I guess you haven't seen this: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1392092
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2011, 05:14 PM
Joined May 2008
33 Posts
No, I haven't. Thanks Barl14!
Helipath is offline Find More Posts by Helipath
Old Mar 17, 2011, 07:29 PM
SUCK LESS
United States, IL, Lombard
Joined May 2009
3,511 Posts
That's a great video Dionigi! Very creative - and suspenseful ! Gotta love Clint!

(nice job on the canopy too)

Speaking of videos - this is what I was talking about regarding bypassing the washout assembly:

http://vimeo.com/21177636
FR4-Pilot is offline Find More Posts by FR4-Pilot
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Mar 17, 2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 09:31 PM
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2009
1,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR4-Pilot View Post
(...) Gotta love Clint! (nice job on the canopy too)

Speaking of videos - this is what I was talking about regarding bypassing the washout assembly:
Thanks, when the Quark season begins, I may look into trying paper canopies for it too. I was skeptical at first, but they seem actually stronger than I expected.

So how exactly does the modded Quark head feel when flying? I think mine had the slop that you show since the beginning.
DMala is offline Find More Posts by DMala
Old Mar 17, 2011, 09:40 PM
SUCK LESS
Joined May 2009
3,511 Posts
To me it doesn't feel that much different - maybe like flipping DIPSW4 back to the default position. If you're into flying hard and fast you probably won't like it, but if you're taking it easy and working on precision you'll probably like it a lot. It's also probably like moving that ball on the washout to the innermost hole versus the middle or outermost.

Those paper canopies can be cool - especially since you shed about 9g in weight
Old Mar 18, 2011, 12:21 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
Quote:
To me it doesn't feel that much different - maybe like flipping DIPSW4 back to the default position. If you're into flying hard and fast you probably won't like it, but if you're taking it easy and working on precision you'll probably like it a lot. It's also probably like moving that ball on the washout to the innermost hole versus the middle or outermost.
Yeah, it's not a bad mod at all. I have some spare linkage rods and gave it a try. Your observations are right on.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 07:55 AM
Austin TX
Joined Mar 2009
336 Posts
Quote:

http://vimeo.com/21177636
Interesting. Both of mine are that bad, or worse. I've never notice its being a problem, but I have nothing to compare them to.

--Al Evans
al_evans is offline Find More Posts by al_evans
Old Mar 18, 2011, 08:05 AM
small electrics r BIG FUN
Iowa
Joined Aug 2000
4,320 Posts
I've also noticed that excessive play in my first Quark. That amount would be alarming in any of my CP helis, but the Quark is very stable and controllable in spite of it. I'll compare my new one that I've flown only 3 times.
Al P is offline Find More Posts by Al P
Old Mar 18, 2011, 08:25 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
Compared to other FP helis I've owned, the looseness in the Quark head is nothing. A lot of looseness tends to disappear when the head is rotating at speed. Still, there's room for improvement. But, you never want to make it too rigid.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 02:12 PM
Gary
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Mar 2011
2,257 Posts
Drift left: Any ideas?

As soon as I lift off I get a left drift that is substantial. Any ideas on how to fix this problem, or is it just operator error? I tried moving the trim left, and then tried moving the aileron trim right, but neither really helped much. Thanks!

heli Quark (2 min 12 sec)
glmccready is offline Find More Posts by glmccready
Old Mar 18, 2011, 02:59 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,866 Posts
I can't see the video because I'm at work and YouTube is blocked. Many helis will drift left because of the push by the tail rotor. You should be able to slide the aileron trim to the right to help with this. Also make sure the blades are tracking properly. I never did it with the Quark, so do as I say, not as I do.
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Repairing the T-28... again
Old Mar 18, 2011, 03:38 PM
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2009
1,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glmccready View Post
As soon as I lift off I get a left drift that is substantial. Any ideas on how to fix this problem, or is it just operator error? I tried moving the trim left, and then tried moving the aileron trim right, but neither really helped much. Thanks!

I watched only about 2/3 of the video but from what I can see this is normal. Center the trim tabs, hold the aileron stick slightly to the right as it gets off the ground (being careful not to tip the heli), center the stick, climb to 2-3', and adjust the trim only on the basis of what you see hovering out of ground effect.
DMala is offline Find More Posts by DMala
Old Mar 18, 2011, 05:05 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
I see mostly operator error. You have to use both hands and all 4 functions all the time. You don't get any breaks. Try to keep the tail pointed toward you until you can hover reliably and move forward and backward in this orientation. Do not attempt to turn until you can do this.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 06:17 PM
Gary
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Mar 2011
2,257 Posts
OK Thanks! Guess I need some work! It is just that it takes off to the left as soon as I give it any lift, so I really need ALOT more room!!! I wasn't trying to turn, it just did it all on it's own. lol Did you like my epic crash??? So where is the best place to get parts (ie blades), I think I'm going to need plenty......
glmccready is offline Find More Posts by glmccready
Last edited by glmccready; Mar 18, 2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 07:06 PM
SUCK LESS
Joined May 2009
3,511 Posts
Looks like glcm's heli has had the two little white tabs clipped off of the left skid - might be why it's moving to the left so much on lift off.

Unless I'm mistaken, then sorry.

-John