SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 28, 2010, 09:06 PM
Quark SG, Quark, mSR, mCX
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jun 2009
174 Posts
Hi Everyone:

As we are somewhat on the topic of CPs and the SG is my first CP, do you fly your CP helis in both "normal mode" and idle-up? (I do understand that idle-up is for 3D.) I apologize for my ignorance.

There have been some mixed feelings on the SG board about the value of the SG. For me, the SG's performance is superb in normal mode but less than perfect in idle-up (e.g., requires significant aileron trim, and there is some mild tail blowout under moderate-hard changes in throttle). In light of these issues and the ridiculous price, I don't think there is any other CP that would suit me.

On the issue of a single main rotor blade, what is the advantage of this? Anyone going to try it on the Quark? (I don't know if there would be enough lift).

Thanks guys.

-Linac
linac is offline Find More Posts by linac
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2010, 09:26 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by linac View Post
Hi Everyone:

As we are somewhat on the topic of CPs and the SG is my first CP, do you fly your CP helis in both "normal mode" and idle-up? (I do understand that idle-up is for 3D.) I apologize for my ignorance.

There have been some mixed feelings on the SG board about the value of the SG. For me, the SG's performance is superb in normal mode but less than perfect in idle-up (e.g., requires significant aileron trim, and there is some mild tail blowout under moderate-hard changes in throttle). In light of these issues and the ridiculous price, I don't think there is any other CP that would suit me.

On the issue of a single main rotor blade, what is the advantage of this? Anyone going to try it on the Quark? (I don't know if there would be enough lift).

Thanks guys.

-Linac
I don't have an SG but I fly all my CP helis in "idle up" and use collective alone to control it, even though I don't fly "3D", only scale. Generally, in "idle up", you have the necessary headspeed already there if you find yourself having to recover from too fast a rate of fall or need to change direction suddenly. Flying in normal mode would strain the motor as it tries to increase speed and pitch at the same time. It might not be able to do it.
If you are looking at price and performance, have you considered an Innovator heli? It's not going to be quite as easy to fly as an SG due to the head being a 90 degree thing, but the Innovator is extremely tunable to fly tame. You get a very easy to fly 450 sized heli for just over 500 bucks.
I don't think there is any advantage to having only one rotor. That was purely an exercise to say that it can be done and to laugh in the face of conventional thinking. Shouldn't read to much into that experiment.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Oct 28, 2010, 09:31 PM
Joined May 2009
3,473 Posts
Hey Linac!

I think there may be a few advantages of a single blade rotor - less drag resulting from swinging a single blade and smoother rotation (perfect tracking) as the single blade is (?) cutting "cleaner" air, as opposed to two blades flying into each others turbulence & wash. Less drag would mean longer flight times on a given battery. I believe there's less rotor torque as well, which would mean less work for the gyro & tail. Maybe this could be a "greener" heli

But wouldn't there also be less lift since there is now only one airfoil ? Then you would need higher RPMs to make up the difference. It would be interesting to see how maneuverable the heli is outside - not just hovering/slow forward flight. There has to be some sort of trade off somewhere ...

I'm sure it will be tried on the Quark If there is less lift it will be immediately noticeable. I'd be nervous of that socket & weight flying off though - maybe a solid single piece of something with a hole (like a blade root) would be a little safer.

-John
FR4-Pilot is offline Find More Posts by FR4-Pilot
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Oct 28, 2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 10:14 PM
Quark SG, Quark, mSR, mCX
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jun 2009
174 Posts
Hi xviper and FR4-Pilot:

I had thought about the Innovator and the Mini Titan (these were the only other CPs I was considering), but I wanted something relatively small this time. While my experience with the SG is very limited, there does not appear to be any outstanding strain on the motor in normal mode. The motor seems very robust to me.

If someone tries the single main rotor blade on the Quark perhaps there will be a video?

Thank you for your comments viper and John!

-Linac
linac is offline Find More Posts by linac
Old Oct 28, 2010, 10:33 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,476 Posts
Has anyone clocked the headspeed on a FP Quark at hovering speed? The B400 can be cranked up to a fairly high headspeed and I can see where a single blade would work. If the headspeed is too slow, a single rotor blade may not carve a rotation fast enough to generate stable flight. I would guess that the heli would tend to wobble.
I'm not willing to risk either of my Quarks so someone else can be the guinea pig.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 10:48 PM
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2009
1,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
Has anyone clocked the headspeed on a FP Quark at hovering speed? (...).
I have. With a Turnigy optical tachometer I got the expected headspeed when the red led goes on and the heli gets lighter on the skids (around 1890 rpm), and an rpm of 2130 at the throttle stick position of full hover (a few feet high).
DMala is offline Find More Posts by DMala
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:49 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMala View Post
I have. With a Turnigy optical tachometer I got the expected headspeed when the red led goes on and the heli gets lighter on the skids (around 1890 rpm), and an rpm of 2130 at the throttle stick position of full hover (a few feet high).
That's about the approx. headspeed of an Innovator using foam blades. The Blade 400 with the single blade was likely spinning much, much faster. It's capable of almost 3000 rpm. I'd be very curious of a single bladed Quark would wobble but I'm too chicken to try it myself.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 01:38 PM
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2009
1,636 Posts
I'm a bi-Quark guy now.....

When Helikevin put his Quark up for sale in the classified, I decided to control myself and let it go. But when several days later I realized that nobody had bought it (which really surprised me), I decided I had to do something about it.

So here it is. It also came with a lot of extra goodies, including a case, Quark CP blades, a balancing port adaptor for the stock charger (also included), and the technologically marvelous and optically flashy "E-Z Lights" from our FR4Pilot

It is much newer-looking than my old Quark (which still flies great however), the tail is more quiet and it may be a hair more responsive. I have to build a Molex adaptor and try it with my ThunderPower 640 mAh batteries, since the motor needs a bit more punch.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 03:53 PM
Joined May 2009
3,473 Posts
Nice pickup DMala! It's great to have a backup - looks like you got some more batteries too. You'll be flying for hours on end

Those NAVs & adapter look vaguely familiar ....

Have fun!

-John
Old Oct 30, 2010, 04:31 PM
USA, WA, Mill Creek
Joined Aug 2009
218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by linac View Post
Hi Everyone:

I haven't gone inverted yet with my MT yet, but I intend to someday. That's why I always start in idle-up. Here's a few reasons why I think it's a good idea to learn this way:

1. You never forget to flip the switch. It's not a good time to find out when the heli is upside down.
2. You don't have to worry about the heli jumping around because of a difference in head speed or pitch.
3. Getting out of the habit of on cutting the throttle when you get in trouble.
nwjhawk is offline Find More Posts by nwjhawk
Old Nov 01, 2010, 12:44 PM
Austin TX
Joined Mar 2009
336 Posts
Odd effect?

The other day I was surprised to find one of my Quarks (the completely stock one) yawing left if I went very fast with it.

I couldn't find anything obviously wrong with it, but the last time I flew it before that, it had suddenly decided to rise up suddenly and give an overhanging tree limb a little smack. This heli sometimes has an iffy relationship with the transmitter when I first turn it on, so I wasn't overly surprised. I replaced the tail blades, which seemed to be the only thing damaged, and went on.

But on re-checking the main blades after experiencing the yaw problem, I found that one had an almost-invisible crease in it, and was noticeably less resistant to being bent upward. So I replaced the main blades, too, and now everything seems OK.

I mention this because I'd never seen anything like it before from the Quark. Maybe it'll happen to someone else.

On another note, I just noticed that the last time I bought any parts for my TRex 250 was a month ago, and those were just to replace a worn-out (plastic) tail belt drive gear. I noticed it because I had just replaced a landing skid strut, broken in an abrupt landing touching -- but not entangled with!! -- the net of a soccer goal. So I must be getting better at not crashing! I'm up to circuits and figure 8s and something approaching stall turns, plus hovering in all orientations. I'm starting to be tempted to do some flips and rolls, so I guess I'll start crashing again soon....

--Al Evans
al_evans is offline Find More Posts by al_evans
Old Nov 01, 2010, 12:59 PM
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2009
1,636 Posts
Hi Al, congratulations for the progress w/ the TRex250. The blade issue you mention is also something to check for when re-using single blades that survived a crash.
Old Nov 02, 2010, 03:28 PM
Joined May 2009
3,473 Posts
Wow - Starting all over again !

So I've been practicing a lot on Phoenix lately - upright backward flight and inverted forward flight (I try inverted backward flight but that just doesn't end well). I've been making progress and feeling good - then I go to fly normally (upright forward) and find myself making all kinds of mistakes, like the first day I flew the Quark.

Anyone else having these brain malfunctions?

-John
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Nov 03, 2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old Nov 02, 2010, 03:36 PM
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2009
1,636 Posts
I haven't been using the SIM much lately, the little free time available goes to fly the helis while the weather allows it, trying to catch some fish (this year it has been disastrous for my already pathetical records) and to finishing Mass Effect 2.... (actually, the DLCs, the main game has been over, what a great game)...

But, I should do the same, you are right.
Old Nov 02, 2010, 03:36 PM
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2009
1,636 Posts
You got 1800+ posts!!! Where have you been posting lately?