SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 25, 2010, 12:41 AM
I fly,hover,sail,drive & crawl
USA, CA, Chino Hills
Joined Jan 2009
301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiel View Post
It's been awhile since I checked in. Nice to see this thread is still going strong.

Brotherhood of the Quark.
Still working and travelling a lot. Fly out on Mondays and hom eon Fridays. Can't complain since I still have a job.

I fly when I can. I still have as part of my hangar the Helimax and my Quark. I did get an Align 450 Super Sport. I still fhave my planes too. I have my 3D Yak 55 kits, Grasshopper, couple of PZ minis, VFO, T-28D, F4F and lately I have been messing with my F4 ducted jets.

This sport is killing my wallet for sure.
quiel is offline Find More Posts by quiel
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2010, 11:18 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiel View Post
Still working and travelling a lot. Fly out on Mondays and hom eon Fridays. Can't complain since I still have a job.

I fly when I can. I still have as part of my hangar the Helimax and my Quark. I did get an Align 450 Super Sport. I still fhave my planes too. I have my 3D Yak 55 kits, Grasshopper, couple of PZ minis, VFO, T-28D, F4F and lately I have been messing with my F4 ducted jets.

This sport is killing my wallet for sure.
Wow, it's a good thing you have a job and have to travel a lot. Think of how much you could spend if you had more time to fly!
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Sep 27, 2010, 10:42 PM
SUCK LESS
United States, IL, Lombard
Joined May 2009
3,615 Posts
Not much Quark news these days ...

How about a recent B400 video?
Blade 400 - Flights 83-86 (3 min 35 sec)

Or a $700 E-Revo crash video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11Aj3pM8tMc
FR4-Pilot is offline Find More Posts by FR4-Pilot
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Sep 27, 2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 11:06 PM
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2009
1,638 Posts
[QUOTE=FR4-Pilot;16158969]Not much Quark news these days ...

How about a recent B400 video? QUOTE]

Nice video, it looks like the light conditions were ideal for the camera. How comes nobody is around at the park? From the tree shades it does not seem that it is too early inthe day.

I have been trying to make an analysis of the sound frequency of the main blades of the Quark, similar to those I recently posted for the Guru-Z and the HBFP. However, I am having problems identifying a sound frequency peak that matches the blades' measured RPM: either the sound sample I took is no good for some reason, or those foam blades are very quiet and their noise is covered by other sources of noise.
DMala is offline Find More Posts by DMala
Old Sep 28, 2010, 09:43 AM
SUCK LESS
United States, IL, Lombard
Joined May 2009
3,615 Posts
It was around lunchtime on a Friday - (almost) everyone should have been either at work or school

Good question on the foam blade audio thing. What software are you using - that Audacity tool?
FR4-Pilot is offline Find More Posts by FR4-Pilot
Old Sep 28, 2010, 01:11 PM
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2009
1,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR4-Pilot View Post
Good question on the foam blade audio thing. What software are you using - that Audacity tool?
Yes, Audacity it is.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 07:57 PM
Austin TX
Joined Mar 2009
336 Posts
Such great fun

Went out and flew my first Quark for a couple of batteries this evening.

I was really slammin' it around, forwards and backwards, as fast as it would go in my back yard. Suddenly it got all mushy -- I recognized the symptoms, it's what happens when the ball link between the swash and the little goalpost thingie comes loose. I stuck it back on, it came off again.

So I came inside, got another link out of my parts box, held the end of the rod with some vise-grips, screwed the old one off counting turns, screwed the new one on the same number of turns, and was back flying in 5 minutes.

These things are so cool!

--Al Evans
al_evans is offline Find More Posts by al_evans
Old Sep 28, 2010, 09:13 PM
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2009
1,638 Posts
Increasing blade pitch beyond max allowed

This afternoon I installed on my Quark a set of old carbon fiber-reinforced blades (basically, with a thin strip of carbon fiber cloth wapped around the leading edge), which I broke and repaired several times before. When I adjusted the tracking and pitch I started to get a decent lift only at the end of the available pitch adjustment travel. So I decided to try the old HBFP trick of using a small piece of tape at the front edge of the blade grip area, and it worked. I think it gave those extra few degrees of pitch that made a difference, and the heli displayed much better climbing power (relative to the Quark). See details below, although in my opinion the pictures' captions are not helpful (in a FP heli the tape towards the front increases the blade pitch, and vice-versa the tape towards the back decreases the pitch).

http://claudslearningcurve.blogspot....wattflyer.html

Edit: I used two layers of electrician's tape, by the way.
Last edited by DMala; Sep 28, 2010 at 11:47 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 11:47 PM
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2009
1,638 Posts
As anticipated yesterday, I have been working at measuring the headspeed of the Quark comparing two methods: the first is by using an optical tachometer, the second is by analyzing the sound spectrum and finding if there is any frequency peak (in Hz) which matches the blade speed. Why? No practical use really, just to have fun..... however there is some potential to be able to establish the headspeed under controlled conditions as shown below, then record the heli while hovering or climbing up, and measure the headspeed with the sound frequency method. This (again, in theory) may help to tune the blade pitch and headspeed.

Anyhow, the video is self explanatory. The tachometer seems to be working correctly because when the red LED goes on the headspeed matches the specs.

Quark Tachometer Test (1 min 44 sec)

Note that I am now using foam blades reinforced with carbon fiber (I epoxied a carbon fiber ribbon around the leading edge of the blades), since during previous tests I got the impression that foam blades are quiet and do not produce a clearly identifyable sound peak.

The headspeed measured with the Turnigy optical tachometer is 1890 RPM when the red LED light is on solidly. This corresponds to 63Hz. Sure enough, when I analyzed the spectrum of the sound at the timepoint indicated by the oval line (when RPMs where stable and the red LED solid, i.e. around 1':18" in the video), there is a nice peak at 62Hz, which is a pretty good match given the limitations of the system. Cool, eh?
Last edited by DMala; Sep 28, 2010 at 11:58 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:24 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
That is pretty cool. If you know the headspeed at different rpms, and the tooth count in the gears, can you figure out what the KV rating for the motor would be?
Old Sep 29, 2010, 02:22 AM
Utah
Joined Sep 2009
499 Posts
Checking... Using my optical tach (checkmaster II) with the Quark pinned to the floor, I got 2070rpm at 100% throttle.
Stenz28 is offline Find More Posts by Stenz28
Old Sep 29, 2010, 01:12 PM
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2009
1,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
That is pretty cool. If you know the headspeed at different rpms, and the tooth count in the gears, can you figure out what the KV rating for the motor would be?

I just took a quick course on what KV means, since I knew nothing about it

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=588177

http://www.flyelectric.com/ans.kv.html

So, if you know the blade headspeed and the gear ratio, you can calculate the motor speed. However, even if you know the voltage output of the ESC, the measurement of the motor speed is not taken under no load conditions, therefore my guess is that the answer to your question is no. But, I am not an expert, obviously.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 01:18 PM
Joined Aug 2010
55 Posts
Why is the Quark in the $200+ range for a micro FP heli? Will it also bind to DSM2 transmitters?
iflabs is offline Find More Posts by iflabs
Old Sep 29, 2010, 01:31 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflabs View Post
Why is the Quark in the $200+ range for a micro FP heli? Will it also bind to DSM2 transmitters?
It's the best FP heli there is; nothing else matches the performance, precision, stability and durability. It's no longer available, so the price is academic. It's 72 mhz.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 01:47 PM
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2009
1,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
It's the best FP heli there is; nothing else matches the performance, precision, stability and durability. (...).
Well, with the exception of the very rare Guru-Zs made in Balr-land..... Those are pretty hot too, let me tell you.