HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:03 AM
Quark SG, Quark, mSR, mCX
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jun 2009
174 Posts
Hi Everyone:

I too have tail drift that requires compensation throughout the flight. For my Quark, this is usually about several clicks on the trim tab - which I consider to be a very minor inconvenience. It seems that the tail drift is normal for most Quarks but I'm wondering, does anyone here have zero tail drift? Also, has anyone tried warming up the gyro before flight (e.g., turn the unit on, initialize the gyro, and wait for a minute or two prior to flight)? Thanks.

-Linac
linac is offline Find More Posts by linac
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2010, 02:08 PM
Austin TX
Joined Mar 2009
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by linac View Post
... Also, has anyone tried warming up the gyro before flight (e.g., turn the unit on, initialize the gyro, and wait for a minute or two prior to flight)
I've flown mine for a minute or two, then landed and "rebooted" it. The tail drift goes away. I think I mostly just don't care, though.

For some reason a few weeks ago, I let go the rudder on my TRex 250 and the tail started moving to one side. I had apparently forgotten to set it up the last time I worked on it, and was just compensating automatically without noticing it. I moved the gyro to bring them back to center. I didn't particularly notice that I'd fixed it, either.

--Al Evans
al_evans is offline Find More Posts by al_evans
Old Sep 24, 2010, 02:29 PM
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2009
1,638 Posts
As the battery voltage goes down, it's not only the gyro that drifts a bit, also the throttle and servo responses become less crisp. In all helis I own, I mean.
DMala is offline Find More Posts by DMala
Old Sep 24, 2010, 03:46 PM
United States, LA, Lake Charles
Joined Sep 2006
375 Posts
anyone convert over to spectrum 2.4ghz on this machine yet?
MikeK0416 is offline Find More Posts by MikeK0416
Old Sep 24, 2010, 04:52 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK0416 View Post
anyone convert over to spectrum 2.4ghz on this machine yet?
It's been done before, but it's not cheap. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=430
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Sep 24, 2010, 06:38 PM
Chapel Hill, NC
Joined Apr 2009
112 Posts
Call me lucky. I have zero drift almost all the time. I have never used the rudder trim.

I have had a few times when the tail would just have some kind of hiccup and it would suddenly yaw maybe 20 degrees without being commanded. I also have had occasions when the tail wasn't behaving properly during a single flight. I have chalked this up to bad gyro initialization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linac View Post
Hi Everyone:

I too have tail drift that requires compensation throughout the flight. For my Quark, this is usually about several clicks on the trim tab - which I consider to be a very minor inconvenience. It seems that the tail drift is normal for most Quarks but I'm wondering, does anyone here have zero tail drift? Also, has anyone tried warming up the gyro before flight (e.g., turn the unit on, initialize the gyro, and wait for a minute or two prior to flight)? Thanks.

-Linac
DAC1 is offline Find More Posts by DAC1
Old Sep 24, 2010, 08:13 PM
I fly,hover,sail,drive & crawl
USA, CA, Chino Hills
Joined Jan 2009
301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
It's been done before, but it's not cheap. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=430
Hey Balr14. I see you an dthe others are still around.
quiel is offline Find More Posts by quiel
Old Sep 24, 2010, 08:34 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiel View Post
Hey Balr14. I see you an dthe others are still around.
No I'm not, I'm a figment of your imagination. You need to get out more!
Old Sep 24, 2010, 09:09 PM
I fly,hover,sail,drive & crawl
USA, CA, Chino Hills
Joined Jan 2009
301 Posts
Quote:
No I'm not, I'm a figment of your imagination. You need to get out more!
It's been awhile since I checked in. Nice to see this thread is still going strong.

Brotherhood of the Quark.
quiel is offline Find More Posts by quiel
Old Sep 24, 2010, 09:34 PM
Joined Jan 2009
152 Posts
I guess Iím just be frivolous, but the only thing I can find ďwrongĒ with the Quark, is that darn tail. Other then that, the Quark is a really great heli for my flying abilities, or lack there of!?

Iíve only been flying for just over a year, and until I built my first 45* fly bar head on a 4#3, (about a year ago), I simply wasnít able to do more then just hover. Some of us(me) will probably never get beyond that point with a 90* head. But the Quark, 180Z, 4#6-CB100 mod, and my monster ugly Franken-copter allow me to actually fly around my house.

With the Quark, I can even fly outside, even in a slight breeze, which would normally blow away the 180Z! Surprisingly, the little 4#6-CB100 can also handle more wind then the 180Z.

Well, anyway, Iíve been doing some window shopping. The Phoenix-10 ESC is simply too darn expensive! Over 50 bucks each, and I need 2 of them. So I was thinking about the CC Thunderbird TB-9.

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...91&pid=V651238

For the tail motor I was thinking of using a TurboAce 10300KV in runner, that I already have. I would have to cut, or grind the little tabs off, but thatís no problem. Not sure on the RPMs though, it does handle 2S, so Iím thinking of using it to try and save a few bucks. Not sure about the shaft diameter yet, will have to wait and see. Man this hobby can run into some serious $$$$!

The gyro I plan on using/trying is an AIRTIX A200-D piezo gyro. Itís 12.19mm X 14mm in size. Yup, pretty tiny, and light weight. It worked really well on my Franken-Copter.

And as Iíve said, Iíll be using a AR6100e Rx, with a DX6i Tx.

Anybody have any thoughts on my choices so far? Any input/comments, positive or negative would be more then welcome.

If I could just get the tail on the Quark to hold half as well as the Walkera #4, I would be a very happy camper!

Normally I would just go ahead a try it, but the Quark is a whole different level of helicopter compared to the Walkera. Itís kind of like being used to working on a Ford or Chevy, and suddenly working on a BMW! So Iím taking my time, and trying to formulate some kind of plan of attack.

(Oh, and no offense was intended by my remark on the Ford and Chevy)!

Mike
starz is offline Find More Posts by starz
Old Sep 24, 2010, 09:55 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiel View Post
It's been awhile since I checked in. Nice to see this thread is still going strong.

Brotherhood of the Quark.
So, tell us what you have been doing with yourself. What are you flying now?
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:06 PM
SUCK LESS
United States, IL, Lombard
Joined May 2009
3,558 Posts
Hey Mike - Could you use the Quark tail motor as-is and get a brushed ESC for it instead? Just wondering if that would save some work ... ?

-John
FR4-Pilot is online now Find More Posts by FR4-Pilot
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:39 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR4-Pilot View Post
Hey Mike - Could you use the Quark tail motor as-is and get a brushed ESC for it instead? Just wondering if that would save some work ... ?

-John
Not to mention save some money. That's not a half-bad idea. You're a lot smarter than you look!
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:51 PM
SUCK LESS
United States, IL, Lombard
Joined May 2009
3,558 Posts
Quote:
Not to mention save some money. That's not a half-bad idea. You're a lot smarter than you look!
Thanks! I pride myself on being full of half-ass ideas

And, chicks dig the forehead cam ...
FR4-Pilot is online now Find More Posts by FR4-Pilot
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Sep 24, 2010 at 11:59 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:55 PM
Joined Jan 2009
152 Posts
Hey John,

Ya, I tried that with the 180D, but it didnít work out so well. On the other hand, the Quark has a much better tail motor, so it might work.

That just gave me an idea! I already have a 10a and a 5a brushed ESC laying around. I think I also have a 10a brushless ESC laying around as well.

BUT, color me embarrassed, I just tried something Iím sure I read here just the other day.

What I did was, power up the Quark as usual. But instead of lifting off right away, I waited for about 30 seconds or so. (Without touching the heli).

Maybe it was just a fluke, but the tail hardly drifted at all! I still had to give it a little trim, (Normal), but nothing like I usually do. I had a big grin on my face as I watched it hover nearly rock solid.

Man, if it flies like that on the next pack, Iíll be a very happy camper!

Thanks for the reply,

Mike
starz is offline Find More Posts by starz