HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2010, 09:31 PM
Joined Jan 2009
152 Posts
Just for fun...

Bug attack!

Hi all,

Well, took the Quark outside for the second time today. Slowly regaining my confidence after having so many bad experiences with the 180Z. This thing is much better in a slight breeze then the 180Z ever thought of being.

Anyway, Iím sitting there practicing my nose in hovering, man this thing just seems to get easier to fly all the time. When a dragonfly comes by, not the Walkera type, but the bug type! A big one!
As Iím hovering, the dragonfly is flying all around it, under it, over it, basically just showing off, and Iím thinking, if it gets any closer, heís going to get splattered!
Well, apparently theyíre not that stupid, as I was thinking that the rotor wash must be whatís keeping him at bay, he suddenly slams right into the side of the Quark! And I do mean, SLAM! The Quark was about 20 feet out, and I still heard the little thud sound from the dragonfly slamming into it! Actually causing the heli to rock side to side slightly. Like I said, it was a BIG dragonfly!
It gave me a chuckle seeing it happen, so I just thought Iíd share my experience with you all.

Thanks for listening,
Mike
starz is offline Find More Posts by starz
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2010, 10:17 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,432 Posts
I think it was attempting to mate with your Quark. Lets see, dragonflies have two sets of wings.... so..... if you see little coaxes with eyes flying around in the next couple of weeks, you'll know your Quark is female.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Sep 17, 2010, 11:07 PM
Joined May 2009
3,418 Posts
There's something about this heli that attracts dragonflys. I've never had one kamokazie into the heli, but around here they do like to check it out. Good story!
FR4-Pilot is offline Find More Posts by FR4-Pilot
Old Sep 18, 2010, 06:48 AM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR4-Pilot View Post
There's something about this heli that attracts dragonflys. I've never had one kamokazie into the heli, but around here they do like to check it out. Good story!
Got to be the foam blade harmonics or maybe a slight Brrrtttt....
simages is offline Find More Posts by simages
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2010, 08:10 AM
Austin TX
Joined Mar 2009
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by starz View Post
...As Iím hovering, the dragonfly is flying all around it, under it, over it, basically just showing off, and Iím thinking, if it gets any closer, heís going to get splattered!
I've had a pair of orange dragonflies in the back yard all summer, and one of them is fascinated by my Quark. Many times when I'm flying he will hang on the left, close to the side and just under the rotor. I worried about it for a while, but he demonstrated that he could fly MUCH better than I could.

He doesn't even come close to the TRex 250, incidentally....

--Al Evans
al_evans is offline Find More Posts by al_evans
Old Sep 18, 2010, 09:14 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,432 Posts
MT E325 clone? I heard mention of this somewhere, but I can't recall where ( I'm old, I forget stuff). Has anyone seen an MT E325 clone anywhere?

I think I recall a pterodactyl attacking one of my planes once.... or it might have been a small hawk. Memory gets wonky when you are old!
Old Sep 18, 2010, 09:16 AM
Indianapolis, In
Joined Jan 2010
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by starz View Post
Bug attack!

As Iím hovering, the dragonfly is flying all around it, under it, over it, basically just showing off, and Iím thinking, if it gets any closer, heís going to get splattered!:Mike
I have dragonflies checkout everything I fly outside. I don't know if they just can't tolerate anything in their airspace or they just want to be friends. I have yet to see or hear one of them hurt by the helicopter. They seem to know the danger and their limits.
aventhu is offline Find More Posts by aventhu
Old Sep 18, 2010, 09:55 AM
Joined Mar 2007
31 Posts
stabilizer bar popped off

So my most recent flight ended when the stabilizer bar popped off, sending my Quark tumbling to the ground. This can only be caused by one of 2 things - the stabilizer bar or the see-saw, right? In the past, whenever I had a crash that caused the stabilizer bar to pop off, I replaced both, but that's expensive, so after my most recent crash, I had a look, nothing looked damaged, so I just reattached the stabilizer bar.

Thoughts?
johnprz is offline Find More Posts by johnprz
Old Sep 18, 2010, 10:33 AM
Joined Jan 2009
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnprz View Post
So my most recent flight ended when the stabilizer bar popped off, sending my Quark tumbling to the ground. This can only be caused by one of 2 things - the stabilizer bar or the see-saw, right? In the past, whenever I had a crash that caused the stabilizer bar to pop off, I replaced both, but that's expensive, so after my most recent crash, I had a look, nothing looked damaged, so I just reattached the stabilizer bar.

Thoughts?

I have a hard time installing the stabilizer bar. It seems to slip right into place, but most times it doesnít. A good test when installing it, I found, is once I think I have it in place, I just give it a tug upwards. If it is indeed installed properly, the heli will lift up, otherwise, the stabilizer bar will pop off. Which, for me, is what happens a least 2 or 3 times before I finally get it seated properly.

My eyes arenít what the used to be though, and Iím only 56!
Mike
Old Sep 18, 2010, 10:52 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,432 Posts
The stabilizer bar popping off usually means the grove on the back side that the long pin fits in is too loose. Try teflon tape in the grove.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 11:49 AM
United States, NH, Dover
Joined May 2010
123 Posts
At least the wheel chair is a nice seat when you guys are flying
Helikevin is offline Find More Posts by Helikevin
Old Sep 18, 2010, 10:00 PM
Joined Mar 2007
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
The stabilizer bar popping off usually means the grove on the back side that the long pin fits in is too loose. Try teflon tape in the grove.
Great idea! But also easier said than done... Even teflon tape seem to be too thick. Have you ever tried this? If someone else has been successful at it, I'll give it another try. Otherwise, I'm thinking maybe a coat of paint on the pins?

Anyway, I looked closely, and whether it happened this time or was already that way, the pins in the see-saw looked like they might be a little off, so I replaced that for now...
johnprz is offline Find More Posts by johnprz
Old Sep 18, 2010, 10:11 PM
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2009
1,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
(...) I'm going back to work in October... for a Canadian company located in Ottawa; Data Kinetics.
Great! Congratulations!
DMala is offline Find More Posts by DMala
Old Sep 18, 2010, 10:29 PM
Joined Jan 2009
152 Posts
How did you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helikevin View Post
At least the wheel chair is a nice seat when you guys are flying

Yup, you got that right! Plus my wheel chair has a brushless motor. It may not be very fast, but man, it sure has a lot of torque! I have a basket that fits on the back to carry my helis and assorted gear. I have to be careful in sand though. The thing weighs over 200 pounds! (Not easy to push)

Mike
Old Sep 19, 2010, 01:12 AM
Joined May 2009
3,418 Posts
Another RC lunch during the work week ... No Quarks (just a pinch of B400 though). Thought you might enjoy anyway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11Aj3pM8tMc

(A whole lotta B400 in this one)
Blade 400 - Flight 84 (5 min 14 sec)
FR4-Pilot is offline Find More Posts by FR4-Pilot
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Sep 19, 2010 at 10:19 PM.