HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2010, 01:55 PM
SUCK LESS
United States, IL, Lombard
Joined May 2009
3,508 Posts
I haven't tried it. From the photos I've seen it looks different from the FP's stabilizer. Does it even fit? The thought of trying it on the FP hadn't really crossed my mind - is there a benefit like the SG's blades?

-John
FR4-Pilot is offline Find More Posts by FR4-Pilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2010, 02:39 PM
USA, WA, Mill Creek
Joined Aug 2009
218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR4-Pilot View Post
I haven't tried it. From the photos I've seen it looks different from the FP's stabilizer. Does it even fit? The thought of trying it on the FP hadn't really crossed my mind - is there a benefit like the SG's blades?

-John
Based on Hirobo's compatibility document, it should fit even though it's 'not recommended' (just like the main blades).

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=7636
nwjhawk is offline Find More Posts by nwjhawk
Old Sep 15, 2010, 09:29 PM
Joined Jan 2009
152 Posts
Iíve been following this thread for quite some time now, and have been reading, with great interest, about using the SG blades on the SRB.

I see that Hirobo doesnít recommend using them on the SRB, but people here are reporting that they are working quite well. So much for recommendations.

Anyway, got wondering why they, (Hirobo) would recommend against it. Could it be because the larger and slightly heavier blades might over tax the main motor? There by causing it to burn out sooner?

Just some crazy thoughts that have been going through this thick skull of mine. Would be interested in what otherís here have to say on the subject.

Mike
starz is offline Find More Posts by starz
Old Sep 15, 2010, 09:48 PM
SUCK LESS
Joined May 2009
3,508 Posts
Hey Mike - Well, they do present more drag since they're symmetrical while the others are not. Hirobo is probably being cautious like you indicated. But, we've been laminating (adding tape) and epoxying the regular blades for over a year now, adding weight & drag and so far no one has reported a motor or ESC failure. Keep in mind Hirobo also recommends to only use their battery too ...

But it's good to know that we're "modifying the flying unit", which in general is frowned upon by Hirobo.

-John
Old Sep 15, 2010, 09:56 PM
SUCK LESS
Joined May 2009
3,508 Posts
6S Charger Adapter Update

I had some time today to spend on that 6 cell series charger adapter I posted about earlier. Basically, taking 6 of the mCX/mSR 3.7V batteries and creating a 6S pack with balance tap that can be used with a computerized balancing charger (to see each battery's voltage as they charge, to be able to put a bunch into "storage" mode when needed, and to be able to stop using those E-Flite chargers that charge at 3C-ish and prematurely kill these little batteries).

Anyway, so far so good (see pics). This concept can also be used to balance charge two 3S B400/MiniTitan/TREX450 packs at a time, or three 2S Quark Rhino (or equiv) packs at a time (not the stockers - yet). As long as the charger supports 6 cells that is. The $25 Turnigy Accucell-6 does (as well as some other inexpensive chargers). I want to build two each of those adapters next ...

Charging Update: 45 minutes later the balance charge process completed!!! Just like it does when I charge a single 3S or 2s pack. Evidently I'm leaving about 25% in each pack when I stop flying.

Discharging Update: Flew each of the batteries with the mSR. Normal 4 minute flights with 4 of the newer batteries, around 3 minute flights with 2 of the older ones. Exactly as expected.

-John
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Sep 16, 2010 at 12:18 AM.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 10:10 PM
Joined Jan 2009
152 Posts
Thanks for input, John.

Ok, I give, what is ďsymmetricalĒ? Sorry for the dumb #ss question. But, Iím guessing that since the SG is collective, then the blades are similar to what I have on my EXI 250?

Iíve been using clear packing tape on the underside of my blades, wrapping it around the leading edge by about ľ inch. Not sure if thatís how you guys are doing it, but it seems to help them survive a minor blade strike. Tonight I added a .5mm CF rod along the underside, up against that white stripe, before applying the tape. About the only difference I felt/saw was that the blades didnít bow upwards as much. (Is that what is referred to as ďconingĒ)?

Mike
starz is offline Find More Posts by starz
Old Sep 15, 2010, 10:17 PM
SUCK LESS
Joined May 2009
3,508 Posts
Hey Mike - Symmetrical blades are shaped like an airfoil or "wing" while the non-symmetrical blades (original SRB blades) are curved on one side only. If you look at them from the side you'll see - the SG blades are identically shaped top/bottom where the original SRB blades are not. Hopefully I said that right. There's a company that makes plastic hover training blades for 400 size helis that are curved on the top but flat on the bottom - these are non-symmetrical blades.

-John
Old Sep 15, 2010, 10:49 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by starz View Post
Anyway, got wondering why they, (Hirobo) would recommend against it. Could it be because the larger and slightly heavier blades might over tax the main motor? There by causing it to burn out sooner?
Both Quarks use the same main motor. While we are on the subject of motors, there is an optional SG motor that provides 20% more power. I wonder how that would work on our older Quarks?
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Sep 15, 2010, 10:52 PM
SUCK LESS
Joined May 2009
3,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
Both Quarks use the same main motor. While we are on the subject of motors, there is an optional SG motor that provides 20% more power. I wonder how that would work on our older Quarks?
Did you happen to see a price for that motor?
Old Sep 15, 2010, 11:22 PM
Utah
Joined Sep 2009
499 Posts
I was browsing and noticed that the 1st Gen and SG use the same motor, except that 1st Gen uses 7.4v and the SG 11.1v ( I hadn't noticed until you guys started talkin' about motors!).

So can we stick an 11.1 into our 1st Gens and send them rocketing into space?

Stenz28 is offline Find More Posts by Stenz28
Old Sep 15, 2010, 11:24 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
Quote:
Did you happen to see a price for that motor?
No and it says you can't use it on the old Quark. I'm sure it's way over-priced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenz28 View Post
I was browsing and noticed that the 1st Gen and SG use the same motor, except that 1st Gen uses 7.4v and the SG 11.1v ( I hadn't noticed until you guys started talkin' about motors!).

So can we stick an 11.1 into our 1st Gens and send them rocketing into space?

I could not get my Quark to initialize with an 11.1v battery.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 11:31 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
Has anyone else tried maxing out flybar, washout assembly and seesaw settings yet? I tried them outdoors tonight and decided it was more than I wanted. I think if I had more power, I would be tempted to try a loop.... over the field across the street.... over 3' tall grass.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 11:49 PM
SUCK LESS
Joined May 2009
3,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balr14 View Post
has anyone else tried maxing out flybar, washout assembly and seesaw settings yet? I tried them outdoors tonight and decided it was more than i wanted. I think if i had more power, i would be tempted to try a loop.... Over the field across the street.... Over 3' tall grass.
v-i-d-e-o!

Channel Change - Bummer! According to Augusto, the MiniTitan E325 SE (metal head & tail) is not available in the U.S. as a heli-only kit even though Thunder Tiger offers it that way elsewhere on the planet. Either heli + motor + ESC or all of that + carbon blades. I believe the plastic head & tail heli-only version is available here, and it's only around $130.00 ...
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Sep 16, 2010 at 12:22 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 02:40 AM
practice, practice, practice
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Mar 2005
724 Posts
Quote:

I really wish I understood what Hirobo is trying to tell us in the pic (repost) ... why do they keep mentioning "rudder" when discussing cyclic ? And what the hell is suwatsushiyupureto ? Made of metal ? - tell us Lassie!

-John
The 'rudder' here might mean the cyclic control.
The 'suwatsushiyupureto' is mistranslated, it might be 'swashplate.'

#Like Hohenruder, Seitenruder and Querruder in German, we Japanese call the aileron, elevator and rudder controls simply 'KAJI.' KAJI means originally a rudder or a steering device of boat or ship.

cvlex
cvlex is offline Find More Posts by cvlex
Last edited by cvlex; Sep 16, 2010 at 05:29 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old Sep 16, 2010, 09:35 AM
Quark SG, Quark, mSR, mCX
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jun 2009
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
Has anyone else tried maxing out flybar, washout assembly and seesaw settings yet? I tried them outdoors tonight and decided it was more than I wanted. I think if I had more power, I would be tempted to try a loop.... over the field across the street.... over 3' tall grass.
Hi Balr14:

Are you referring to the full expert/advanced settings? Would you be able to explain your flight performance ("more than I wanted")?

I've maxed out everything on my Quark. At first, I found the heli very difficult to manage and very sensitive and for awhile I kept switching everything back and forth. After some "tough love" the heli has given me, I have now left everything maxed out and I'm quite comfortable but I'm mainly flying indoors only.

I have some SG blades that were ordered from eBay and look forward to trying them out and perhaps I will then have to tune down my settings(?).

Thank you.

-Linac
linac is offline Find More Posts by linac