HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2010, 11:27 PM
Joined Apr 2010
648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by upside View Post
Thanks! Wow, that was some thoughts on the two that I would have never known without having to buy and put in a bunch of flights on both.
I really like my 120SR. It has grown on me and I think it's a great heli, but there's no way I would take it over my Quark. My Quark is my prized FP heli
Technica is offline Find More Posts by Technica
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2010, 04:23 AM
United States, NH, Dover
Joined May 2010
129 Posts
It turns out I lost a flybar weight in my last crash.Went to two HS and they didnt have anything I could use. So in a moment of genius I decided to use BB's They seem to be working pretty good. I have a new flybar on the way.

Thanks Augusto for the change in order.
Helikevin is offline Find More Posts by Helikevin
Old Sep 06, 2010, 09:36 AM
Austin TX
Joined Mar 2009
336 Posts
Tech problem: tail unit

This morning one of my Quarks just sort of fell out of the sky. This one is subject to seeming to lose signal occasionally, in one particular position in my back yard, and I forgot about that and couldn't get it back before it hit the ground.

After replacing the main blades, I noticed that it was glitchy in flying circuits. The tail would seem to hold in one position, then "suddenly" jump to where it was supposed to be. I've found that when this happens, if I carefully check the tail unit, I'll find a place where the gears aren't meshing smoothly. Sure enough, I found two glitchy spots on the driven gear.

So the question is -- has anybody found a way of dealing with this other than installing a new tail unit? I've tried now and again, but haven't succeeded. New tail units are a bit pricy for such a small problem, though....

--Al Evans
al_evans is offline Find More Posts by al_evans
Old Sep 06, 2010, 10:02 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_evans View Post
This morning one of my Quarks just sort of fell out of the sky. This one is subject to seeming to lose signal occasionally, in one particular position in my back yard, and I forgot about that and couldn't get it back before it hit the ground.

After replacing the main blades, I noticed that it was glitchy in flying circuits. The tail would seem to hold in one position, then "suddenly" jump to where it was supposed to be. I've found that when this happens, if I carefully check the tail unit, I'll find a place where the gears aren't meshing smoothly. Sure enough, I found two glitchy spots on the driven gear.

So the question is -- has anybody found a way of dealing with this other than installing a new tail unit? I've tried now and again, but haven't succeeded. New tail units are a bit pricy for such a small problem, though....

--Al Evans
I'm afraid you are screwed. Sometimes the problem is due to the shaft being bent a little (it bends rather easily). But it's just about impossible to straighten without wrecking the gear.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Sep 06, 2010, 11:12 AM
Pontiac my other Obsession
USA, FL, Apopka
Joined Jul 2010
719 Posts
I have seen some quarks with a Hughes 300 cabin on them... is there a vendor for that? or is it just from another machine like the Dynam or similar?
Pontiaddict is offline Find More Posts by Pontiaddict
Old Sep 06, 2010, 11:12 AM
Austin TX
Joined Mar 2009
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
I'm afraid you are screwed. Sometimes the problem is due to the shaft being bent a little (it bends rather easily). But it's just about impossible to straighten without wrecking the gear.
No, that's not the problem this time. Just two little glitches in the driven gear.

--Al Evans
al_evans is offline Find More Posts by al_evans
Old Sep 06, 2010, 11:39 AM
Fargo N.D. Land of Blizzards-Floods-Mosquito's & Tornado's
Joined Jul 2008
1,168 Posts
Blades?

Haven't been flying heli's for a few months till this weekend. Course the Quark got most of the indoor flights as usual. Six 7 to 8 minute flights and 2 broken sets of blades. Just wondering if there are any new developments in blade options? I see some talk about carbon fiber in-lay's? whats that all about and is it saving a lot of blade breakage? How is it done, or is there someone producing a better blade these days??
helinut2 is offline Find More Posts by helinut2
Old Sep 06, 2010, 11:46 AM
USA, WA, Mill Creek
Joined Aug 2009
218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiaddict View Post
I have seen some quarks with a Hughes 300 cabin on them... is there a vendor for that? or is it just from another machine like the Dynam or similar?
I think you're referring to the Helimax Rotofly canopy.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJPU5&P=7

They're pretty flimsy and won't offer much in the way of protection. On the other hand they're lighter than the stock canopy. Also, they're not a direct fit so you'll have to improvise to mount it - I used an alternate mounting post through the hole in the frame just aft of the control unit.
nwjhawk is offline Find More Posts by nwjhawk
Old Sep 06, 2010, 11:53 AM
USA, WA, Mill Creek
Joined Aug 2009
218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helinut2 View Post
Haven't been flying heli's for a few months till this weekend. Course the Quark got most of the indoor flights as usual. Six 7 to 8 minute flights and 2 broken sets of blades. Just wondering if there are any new developments in blade options? I see some talk about carbon fiber in-lay's? whats that all about and is it saving a lot of blade breakage? How is it done, or is there someone producing a better blade these days??
Balr glued some CF strips to the underside of the blades. It helps keep the blade straight (less coning) and also helps with the breaks/bends on tip-overs.

The latest is using Quark SG blades. Of course they cost a bit more, but there are several on here that have tried them within the past couple of weeks and are reporting good results (more lift, better performance). They should be more durable too.
nwjhawk is offline Find More Posts by nwjhawk
Old Sep 06, 2010, 12:09 PM
Pontiac my other Obsession
USA, FL, Apopka
Joined Jul 2010
719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwjhawk View Post

They're pretty flimsy and won't offer much in the way of protection. On the other hand they're lighter than the stock canopy. Also, they're not a direct fit so you'll have to improvise to mount it - I used an alternate mounting post through the hole in the frame just aft of the control unit.
Thanx thats it...quite reasonable too
Pontiaddict is offline Find More Posts by Pontiaddict
Old Sep 06, 2010, 12:41 PM
Tail-in hover expert ;)
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Aug 2006
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR4-Pilot View Post
Thanks John - I think I'll look closer at those parts. All of the balls, links & pins appear to fit the same on both (neither too tight or loose). Something tells me it's in the head/flybar too, but I can't detect any differences by moving links, twisting things, etc. Just for giggles I might swap out control units first - only because that mystery thing controls the servos too, along with the wacky gyro ...

-John
Have you checked your flybar phasing?
mediclavina is offline Find More Posts by mediclavina
Old Sep 06, 2010, 12:58 PM
Joined May 2009
3,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediclavina View Post
Have you checked your flybar phasing?
Do you mean the topic on P25 - orientation of main shaft components? I did check that, but both of my Quarks are setup 180 of what's shown in that picture (the blade grip head and flybar are rotated 180). I might change this first - I think Dmala did some experiments with this as well ... Don't know why they're different - the came this way.

I was just about ready to pull the entire head & main gear from Good-Quark and put it in Evil-Quark to see what effects that had. I'm going to flip the head and flybar around first ....

Thanks for mentioning! Odd that the manual shows the head assembled both ways depending on whether you're looking at page 25 or pages 33 & 36. A riddle from Hirobo?

(if this isn't what you're referring to please set me straight - )

-John
FR4-Pilot is online now Find More Posts by FR4-Pilot
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Sep 06, 2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old Sep 06, 2010, 07:39 PM
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2009
1,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwjhawk View Post

Yes they are very flimsy. I like the style, so I relocated the grommet of the canopy to a newly made hole near the back edge of the canopy, which matches the position of the canopy support rod.
DMala is offline Find More Posts by DMala
Last edited by DMala; Sep 06, 2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old Sep 06, 2010, 07:55 PM
Fargo N.D. Land of Blizzards-Floods-Mosquito's & Tornado's
Joined Jul 2008
1,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenz28 View Post
Fourth flight report:

Showing the heli to the wifey. Nice hovering; moving about in the living room. Touched the couch and say goodbye to one foam blade.

At this rate I'll need to order some more from Augusto soon!
What is Augusto's web site. I seemed to have misplaced it..
Thanks
helinut2 is offline Find More Posts by helinut2
Old Sep 06, 2010, 08:01 PM
USA
Joined Jul 2010
53 Posts
Yrbuy.com
upside is offline Find More Posts by upside