HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2010, 09:50 PM
USA
Joined Jul 2010
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technica View Post
I thought about doing a comparison of those two myself. I have over 250 flights on my Quark and about 50 on my 120SR, and I can say this much:

1. The Quark is far more neutral handling than the 120SR. As expected, the 120SR is highly stabilized, but not as bad as the mSR.
2. The 120SR is very fast and has very fast cyclic response. It's not faster than the Quark, but damn close.
3. I've come to really appreciate the 120SR. It flies better than the mSR in every respect, and it has a lot of power. I really like it.
4. The 120SR exhibits the same sort of full-throttle forward strangeness than the mSR has - it will dive and climb if you try to run it fast for any long distance, which you have to correct to keep it on course. The Quark does not do that. But most people don't usually fly the helicopter at full throttle in any direction for long enough for that to happen.
5. The 120SR is easier to fly than the Quark, but the Quark has no overpowering stability counteraction so it's just more enjoyable, especially outdoors.
6. The 120SR has more power than the Quark, and its tail performance is surprisingly better. Yes, the 120SR has a more solid tail than the Quark, but it's close anyway.
Thanks! Wow, that was some thoughts on the two that I would have never known without having to buy and put in a bunch of flights on both.
upside is offline Find More Posts by upside
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2010, 10:40 PM
Chapel Hill, NC
Joined Apr 2009
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR4-Pilot View Post
I'm looking for this, but I can't find one, so maybe I'll have to make it myself (and of course offer a small quantity to others who may be interested as well)

It's a charger adapter board, that would be used with a computerized/balance charger capable of handling up to 6S lipos (like the Accucell-6 or equiv). It would accept six of those mCX/mSR single cell 100-150mAh batteries. But, I don't want to parallel charge them - I want to charge them individually (but 6 at a time) so I can "balance" each one, and also use the storage mode on the charger to bring each one to 3.8V for storage (again, 6 at a time). As long as they're single 3.7V cells the mAh could be different for each one as long as the overall charge current is set no higher than the lowest mAh cell. Six cells must be charged/stored at a time, unless I make multiple boards to handle different numbers of cells: 6, 5, 4, 3, 2. They can all be at different charge/discharge levels - unlike parallel charging.

Basically, it makes a 6S "lipo pack" out of the individual mCX batteries. Balance charge leads and main discharge leads are brought to the charger so the charger thinks it's charging a 6S pack (or 5S, 4S, 3S, 2S packs with the appropriate board). Each individual 3.7v cell's voltage can be monitored and displayed during the charge/storage process if the charger supports it.

Has anyone seen one of these? Or do I have to knock one out myself? I'm tired of all these mystery chargers that end up destroying these 3.7V batteries. Why not use a good computerized balance charger and treat them just like the larger packs we use in our Quarks, B400s, TRexs, MiniTitans, etc. ?

-John
I haven't seen or heard of one of these but I am definitely interested. Keep us posted. Are those connectors something that is standard that you could get a board mounted version of?
DAC1 is offline Find More Posts by DAC1
Old Sep 04, 2010, 10:40 PM
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2009
1,636 Posts
I have been looking for a case for my HBFP V2 and for the Guru-Z. The Exi 450-size case at XHeli is nice but they slap you with 25+ dollars of shipping, no thank you.

I could not find any heli case on sale for Labor Day, but I bought two of these at Sears. They are built like a tank and they are on sale too:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...&blockType=G29

Good for 2-3 Quarks too, I guess....
DMala is offline Find More Posts by DMala
Old Sep 05, 2010, 12:15 AM
Yrbuy.com
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Joined Jul 2009
69 Posts
Guys, at this point I don't know if there will be more original SRB Quarks imported to the US, in the following days I will have an answer.

As to the complete line of spare parts and upgrades, please don't be concern, Hirobo/MRC will continue to bring them normally to the US and Yrbuy will keep the usual stock size.

How are you guys doing with the SG's Main Blades on the original Quark??

Augusto
aalvarado is offline Find More Posts by aalvarado
Old Sep 05, 2010, 11:48 AM
SRB Quark, CB100, V911, Hub X4
London, UK
Joined Feb 2009
461 Posts
I have tested the SG blades on my Quark, and they do indeed make a difference. The helicopter feels less stable while hovering (less coning, so this is to be expected), but when flying, it gets improved lift and does not fall/drop as much as before. Even compared to the laminated ones, this is an improvement. I think this combined with the Turnigy nano tech high battery with a high C rating will resolve the main issue of the Quark, which is lack of lift/weakness of main motor.
sebtomato is offline Find More Posts by sebtomato
Old Sep 05, 2010, 02:26 PM
Pontiac my other Obsession
USA, FL, Apopka
Joined Jul 2010
719 Posts
Joined the brotherhood; sure hope I love it, it sure cost more than any other heli I considered.
Pontiaddict is offline Find More Posts by Pontiaddict
Old Sep 05, 2010, 02:32 PM
Old Skool
Joined Dec 2003
743 Posts
Welcome to the hood.

JD
J.Douglas is offline Find More Posts by J.Douglas
Old Sep 05, 2010, 02:50 PM
Utah
Joined Sep 2009
499 Posts
Fourth flight report:

Showing the heli to the wifey. Nice hovering; moving about in the living room. Touched the couch and say goodbye to one foam blade.

At this rate I'll need to order some more from Augusto soon!
Stenz28 is offline Find More Posts by Stenz28
Old Sep 05, 2010, 02:56 PM
Old Skool
Joined Dec 2003
743 Posts
You are about with me as I only have 5 flights on my Quark. I need to fly my helis more.

JD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w-ddwa62hM
Old Sep 05, 2010, 03:26 PM
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2009
1,636 Posts
[QUOTE=J.Douglas;15971921]You are about with me as I only have 5 flights on my Quark. I need to fly my helis more. [QUOTE]

Nice! I wish I did that well when I was at my fifth flight!
DMala is offline Find More Posts by DMala
Old Sep 05, 2010, 03:31 PM
Old Skool
Joined Dec 2003
743 Posts
Quote:

Nice! I wish I did that well when I was at my fifth flight!
Its just with the Quark. But I havnt been flying my helis much I have been flying planks I need to do more heli flying.

JD
Old Sep 05, 2010, 07:18 PM
Joined May 2009
3,458 Posts
What would cause this ?

2 Quarks, setup as identically as possible.

In forward flight or fast forward flight (not slow hovering around type flying) one Quark will "coast" for a few feet when I return the elevator to center, slowly nosing up and slowing down a bit - very nicely. The other one just about instantly noses up then yaws to the side upon release of the elevator during the same type of FF/FFF flying - very sloppy and annoying.

I'm going nuts here - matched blades, measured & replaced pushrods, checked for extra head slop, etc. Nothing broken/different in the heads, servos seem fine, doesn't matter which battery or what type of blades, DIPSW4 same, stabilizer balls same, COG same. The one that noses up is the same one with the sucky gyro (my original Quark), so I'm wondering if it could be control unit related as that's the only thing I know is different.

When hovering around or slow indoor-type flying both Quarks behave exactly the same. No trim problems or anything like that. Bizarre !

I'm about to just start swapping parts to see what makes the "good one" not good, or the "bad one" not bad. I was hoping not to have to do this, for obvious reasons, if possible.

Anyone else's do this?

-John
FR4-Pilot is online now Find More Posts by FR4-Pilot
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Sep 05, 2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old Sep 05, 2010, 09:54 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenz28 View Post
Fourth flight report:

Showing the heli to the wifey. Nice hovering; moving about in the living room. Touched the couch and say goodbye to one foam blade.

At this rate I'll need to order some more from Augusto soon!
You should be aware those blades can be easily repaired with 5 minute epoxy or medium CA with activator; more than once, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiaddict View Post
Joined the brotherhood; sure hope I love it, it sure cost more than any other heli I considered.
I'm sure you will find it a very nice heli to fly. Welcome to our mostly just social group; not much in the way of problems or upgrades to talk about.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Sep 05, 2010 at 10:06 PM.
Old Sep 05, 2010, 10:03 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR4-Pilot View Post
When hovering around or slow indoor-type flying both Quarks behave exactly the same. No trim problems or anything like that. Bizarre !

I'm about to just start swapping parts to see what makes the "good one" not good, or the "bad one" not bad. I was hoping not to have to do this, for obvious reasons, if possible.

Anyone else's do this?

-John
My inclination is something is worn and my first suspect would be the flybar attachment points.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Sep 05, 2010, 10:14 PM
Joined May 2009
3,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
My inclination is something is worn and my first suspect would be the flybar attachment points.
Thanks John - I think I'll look closer at those parts. All of the balls, links & pins appear to fit the same on both (neither too tight or loose). Something tells me it's in the head/flybar too, but I can't detect any differences by moving links, twisting things, etc. Just for giggles I might swap out control units first - only because that mystery thing controls the servos too, along with the wacky gyro ...

-John
FR4-Pilot is online now Find More Posts by FR4-Pilot