Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 13, 2010, 09:31 PM
Chapel Hill, NC
Joined Apr 2009
112 Posts
You are just a lemon magnet aren't you? Get a MT and join the club, then you can pick (and pay for) all of your components separately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR4-Pilot View Post
You want an E-Flite 1800 mAh with 10 charge cycles on it? 2 of the 3 cells probably work just fine ...

I'm toying with the idea of selling off the heli, stock charger & battery (keeping just the transmitter and receiver). I'm starting to get that burning sensation down below that a stock B400 is just not a "safe" heli to fly. Basically, EVERYTHING with an E-Flite sticker on it is of poor/uncontrolled/non-consistent quality and MUST be replaced (ESC/BEC, motor, gyro, servos, battery, charger) with "real" RC heli components, a thought that scares the hell out of me considering the power this thing produces. The air frame seems pretty nice and I have no real complaints other than the geometry of the stock blades not being the same (there's probably a sticker on the blades somewhere too ...). Perhaps somebody who recently totaled theirs, understands the risks of this heli, and just wants some replacement parts cheap would be interested. Don't know for sure yet, but I'm definitely considering it ...

A MT, hmmm .... After re-doing all of the head, swash, tail, motor and pitch RTF setups (ready to fix) on the B400 I think I'm ready to tackle a kit ... Ha Ha?
DAC1 is offline Find More Posts by DAC1
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:17 PM
USA, WA, Mill Creek
Joined Aug 2009
218 Posts
Quote:
You want an E-Flite 1800 mAh with 10 charge cycles on it? 2 of the 3 cells probably work just fine ...

I'm toying with the idea of selling off the heli, stock charger & battery (keeping just the transmitter and receiver). I'm starting to get that burning sensation down below that a stock B400 is just not a "safe" heli to fly. Basically, EVERYTHING with an E-Flite sticker on it is of poor/uncontrolled/non-consistent quality and MUST be replaced (ESC/BEC, motor, gyro, servos, battery, charger) with "real" RC heli components, a thought that scares the hell out of me considering the power this thing produces. The air frame seems pretty nice and I have no real complaints other than the geometry of the stock blades not being the same (there's probably a sticker on the blades somewhere too ...). Perhaps somebody who recently totaled theirs, understands the risks of this heli, and just wants some replacement parts cheap would be interested. Don't know for sure yet, but I'm definitely considering it ...

A MT, hmmm .... After re-doing all of the head, swash, tail, motor and pitch RTF setups (ready to fix) on the B400 I think I'm ready to tackle a kit ... Ha Ha?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAC1 View Post
You are just a lemon magnet aren't you? Get a MT and join the club, then you can pick (and pay for) all of your components separately.
Unfortunately I'd don't think you'd save much switching to the MT except for some of your aggravation. The stock MT motor and ESC are OK, maybe better than the Eflite, but you'd have to get servos and a gyro anyways. You could just get the upgraded components for the B400 and move them all over to another airframe when you're ready to try something different. I think most all the components for 400/450 size helis are interchangeable.
nwjhawk is offline Find More Posts by nwjhawk
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:41 PM
USA, WA, Mill Creek
Joined Aug 2009
218 Posts
Quote:
Cool - is it through a forum or website somewhere?

Sorry - never did on-line gaming/flying before
No worries, I hadn't before either, but on Phoenix it's so easy that you probably will be embarrassed.

In the menu, just click on the 'Multiplayer' drop-drop down then 'Go Online'. Enter a username and Sign In. You'll be entered into the lobby. The active sessions will be listed on the left column. You can enter any of the ones without a lock (which are private or require a password). Once in the spacebar will toggle you between spectating and flying modes. When spectating, 'N' will switch between pilots.

We could just pick a night/time and one of us could just setup an open session (which is done once you're in the lobby) and anyone who's interested can join in.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:51 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,369 Posts
Horizon support largely favors new products. Once they are finished making running product revisions, support pretty well dries up. I've never been impressed, anyway. But, in fairness, a B400 motor failing with a bad bearing is pretty uncommon. The servos and gyro are the items that usually need replacing.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:56 PM
United States, IL, Lombard
Joined May 2009
3,379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwjhawk View Post
No worries, I hadn't before either, but on Phoenix it's so easy that you probably will be embarrassed.

In the menu, just click on the 'Multiplayer' drop-drop down then 'Go Online'. Enter a username and Sign In. You'll be entered into the lobby. The active sessions will be listed on the left column. You can enter any of the ones without a lock (which are private or require a password). Once in the spacebar will toggle you between spectating and flying modes. When spectating, 'N' will switch between pilots.

We could just pick a night/time and one of us could just setup an open session (which is done once you're in the lobby) and anyone who's interested can join in.
Thanks - I will check that out tomorrow ...

DAC1 - Yea, separates sound like the way to go. My selections couldn't be any worse than say , Horizon's.

Balr14 - Don't forget that mystery ESC/BEC. That thing's a thermal shutdown waiting to happen.
FR4-Pilot is offline Find More Posts by FR4-Pilot
Old Apr 14, 2010, 11:51 AM
United States, OR, Hillsboro
Joined Dec 2009
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMala View Post
The swashplate of my Quark separated within the first 5-8 flights, and I remember the same problem occurring to another couple people on the forum. In my case I called MRC and they sent a free replacement (after a reminder call).
My Quark was new with 8-10 flights on it when I hit my TX antenna and broke the original blades. While replacing the blades I found the swashplate was separated. I sure didn't think I had crashed hard enough to damage the swashplate! Now I wonder if some of the Quark swashplates are weak/defective?
I glued the swash halves together using CA and it seems to be holding OK so far, but I do intend to replace it as soon as I can get a replacement.
Ron244 is offline Find More Posts by Ron244
Old Apr 14, 2010, 01:22 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron244 View Post
My Quark was new with 8-10 flights on it when I hit my TX antenna and broke the original blades. While replacing the blades I found the swashplate was separated. I sure didn't think I had crashed hard enough to damage the swashplate! Now I wonder if some of the Quark swashplates are weak/defective?
I glued the swash halves together using CA and it seems to be holding OK so far, but I do intend to replace it as soon as I can get a replacement.
I would call MRC. That's the sort of damage that should not occur.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 09:07 AM
Joined May 2009
3,379 Posts
Gyro ?

Has anyone had success in adjusting the gyro (p41) ? I've tried a many times, but my efforts usually don't result in anything useful and I end up "resetting" the control unit.

The gyro is HH, not rate, correct? Or is it a hybrid mix of the two?

I'd like to think I'm just not doing something right here ...

Flying inside, tail holds fine, but that's easy slow flying and no wind. Outside the tail holds most of the time, but quick turns usually result in a blow out or "sloppy" turn, especially if there's a bit of a breeze. It's not BRRRT and it doesn't always do it.

Does this sound like a gyro thing (too low of gain)?

Thanks,
-John
Old Apr 15, 2010, 09:33 AM
Austin TX
Joined Mar 2009
336 Posts
Quote:
Flying inside, tail holds fine, but that's easy slow flying and no wind. Outside the tail holds most of the time, but quick turns usually result in a blow out or "sloppy" turn, especially if there's a bit of a breeze. It's not BRRRT and it doesn't always do it.
I don't know about the gyro, but I've seen this kind of thing happen when the tail gears aren't perfectly meshed. The shaft for the tail rotor should have essentially zero play from side to side. The mesh can also be affected slightly by the tightness of the screws that hold the tail unit together, and the tail unit can "tilt" a little bit to one side or the other.

Some combination of these can lead to a situation where the mesh of the tail gears is marginal at some point around the circumference. This produces effects like those you describe.

--Al Evans
al_evans is offline Find More Posts by al_evans
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:08 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,369 Posts
Quote:

Does this sound like a gyro thing (too low of gain)?

Thanks,
-John

That is probably, at least partially, rudder rotation speed (RUD ATT on page 40).
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:05 PM
USA, WA, Mill Creek
Joined Aug 2009
218 Posts
Quote:
The gyro is HH, not rate, correct? Or is it a hybrid mix of the two?

Thanks,
-John
I'm pretty sure the Quark has a rate mode gyro. If it were heading hold, when you rotate the heli away from it's current heading, the gyro would apply correction until it returned to it's original heading.

If you spool up the Quark and push the tail to the right (CCW), the tail motor/blade will speed up briefly to compensate for the uncommanded rotation. If you hold the tail in it's new position for a few seconds, the motor/blades will return to their steady-state speed, and the heli will remain in that heading and not return to it original heading.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:56 PM
Fargo N.D. Land of Blizzards-Floods-Mosquito's & Tornado's
Joined Jul 2008
1,168 Posts
Nice Quark Package FS

Hey Folks. Figured I'd drop a note to let you all know that I have a very nice Quark package listed over on eBay, that fly's beautifully and even has a second fuselage. Check it out.
http://cgi.ebay.com/HIROBO-SRB-QUARK...item335c3672f7
helinut2 is offline Find More Posts by helinut2
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:20 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,225 Posts
Quote:
I'm pretty sure the Quark has a rate mode gyro. If it were heading hold, when you rotate the heli away from it's current heading, the gyro would apply correction until it returned to it's original heading.

If you spool up the Quark and push the tail to the right (CCW), the tail motor/blade will speed up briefly to compensate for the uncommanded rotation. If you hold the tail in it's new position for a few seconds, the motor/blades will return to their steady-state speed, and the heli will remain in that heading and not return to it original heading.
Do you mean you physically turn the heli with your hand or are you using rudder input? Not quite picturing what you're doing.
And what you're saying is that if it's HH, it'll try to go back until it does, regardless of how long you hold it? I'll have to try that with the SR as I know it has HH.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Apr 16, 2010, 09:34 AM
Joined May 2009
3,379 Posts
Quote:

On mine, if I push the tail to the right like you said, the rear does speed up, but it won't stop until I return the heli to near it's original position, which makes me think it's a HH gyro ... Once again, confused The manual 'hints' that it could be a HH gyro with a few of it's dos-&-don'ts, but stops just short of telling you what it really is.

I'm wondering if the gain setting is anything like the GY110 & DX6i combo where full CCW to center is 100% - 0% rate mode, and center to full CW is 0 - 100% HH mode, or something similarly unintuitive ...

DCFPAP - I got my DuPage County Forest Preserve Airfield Permit yesterday! It compliments my AMAPPP license (Aeronautical Model Association Park Pilot Program) Now I can fly in the helicopter field that's AMFMH (A Mile From My Home) . Since the B400 is (still) grounded I think I'll take the Quark over there - just to see how badly I get harassed
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Apr 16, 2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:25 AM
Joined May 2009
3,379 Posts
New vs Old Stock Charger ...

I recently noticed something ...

My "newer?" stock battery charger (the one that does NOT blink green when waiting for a battery to be inserted) only charges the LiPo up to about 8.28V, then stops charging.

My "older?" stock battery charger (the one that blinks green when waiting for a battery) charges the LiPo up to 8.35V, then stops charging.

I tried this with multiple batteries (stock 480, Rhino 460/610, Outrage 450) - same result. Also, I have two of the newer chargers - they both do the same. I only have one older charger though ...

-John
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Apr 16, 2010 at 10:32 AM.