HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2008, 10:25 AM
2012 ZX14R ....faster than you
USA, NV, Carson City
Joined Sep 2006
1,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserteagle
I'm sure it's a nice heli but from the pics of the flybar I can tell you it will snap on impact. Hope I'm wrong but I'm just looking at it and it looks like a bad design. $400 is not a bad price if you get $400 worth of fun out of it. So far I have 4 heli's and out of them so far I love my honey bee FP because the damb thing can take a beating and snap back together and keep flying. My Honey bee king.. umm not so much. I'm not really into 3D and am just really looking for a nice heli that is simple and fun to fly. So far the HBFP does it for me. It flys in 5-10mph wind and after a crash I just snap the head back on, check to see if the blades are tracking and fly again.

If this bird can do that and fly better than the 64#C1 walkera's then I'll buy it.
I also have a HBFP and love it for it's durability, ease of maintenance and cheap parts. But to me, it's just a trainer, I'm looking for a high quality, easy to fly FP heli and this one seems to be the only one out there. I was even looking hard at the ECO 7 Jet Ranger until I discovered it shipped with a styrafoam fuselage. At over $600 for the lipo version, I can't see the expenditure. Anyway, one of the characteristics I love about the Quark after having looked at those videos several times is that there seems to be NO tail drift, so maybe that shaft driven tail rotor is the ticket for this FP bird! At any rate, I have not found another FP heli out there that matches the criteria I'm looking for: quality, parts availabilty (I know Hirobo will make sure US distributers have adequate supply) and foremost, easy to fly indoors OR out.
Are there other brands/models out there that I haven't reseached yet that might meet my requirements?
CCbusa05 is offline Find More Posts by CCbusa05
Last edited by CCbusa05; Jan 29, 2008 at 01:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2008, 05:11 PM
Scarecow
UK
Joined Sep 2004
2,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainIglo
That flybar is not 90 degrees. It looks it is at the same angle as the flybars on top of the coaxials. Perhapse this his one uses some of the same stabilizing techniques with weights mixed with normal paddles.
I don't really understand the 45 degree paddles to be honest. Maybe someone who understands these things can chime in.

The flybar on a single rotor heli needs to be 90 degrees out due to gyroscopic precession. The main rotor causes a gyroscopic force in a direction 90 degrees later after a change of pitch is applied to the flybar. The coaxials have two rotors so one rotor cancels out the gyroscopic affect of the other so the flybar is at 45 degrees. So that makes sense (to me anyway) but it doesn't make any sense that a single rotor heli has the flybar set at 45 degrees.

The piccoz/havoc doesn't have any true cyclic control afaik so I guess it doesn't really matter about gyroscopic precession. It just hovers, add weight in the nose to go forward and use the tail for yaw.

This is different and I don't understand it.

Incidentally the flybar and the rest of the head components should be quite durable....the foam rotors will ensure they go first before theres any chance of damage to anything else. And they will break often....hence the xrb blades usually ending up with parcel tape wrap.....and this thign will fly a helluvalot faster and in more extreme maneouvers. Wayhey!!
HoverBovver is offline Find More Posts by HoverBovver
Old Jan 16, 2008, 08:19 PM
USA, Mt, Great Falls
Joined Nov 2006
479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoverBovver
I don't really understand the 45 degree paddles to be honest. Maybe someone who understands these things can chime in.

The flybar on a single rotor heli needs to be 90 degrees out due to gyroscopic precession. The main rotor causes a gyroscopic force in a direction 90 degrees later after a change of pitch is applied to the flybar. The coaxials have two rotors so one rotor cancels out the gyroscopic affect of the other so the flybar is at 45 degrees. So that makes sense (to me anyway) but it doesn't make any sense that a single rotor heli has the flybar set at 45 degrees.

The piccoz/havoc doesn't have any true cyclic control afaik so I guess it doesn't really matter about gyroscopic precession. It just hovers, add weight in the nose to go forward and use the tail for yaw.

This is different and I don't understand it.

Incidentally the flybar and the rest of the head components should be quite durable....the foam rotors will ensure they go first before theres any chance of damage to anything else. And they will break often....hence the xrb blades usually ending up with parcel tape wrap.....and this thign will fly a helluvalot faster and in more extreme maneouvers. Wayhey!!

I hear what your saying about the foam blades breaking before anything else and they break often but with the HBFP they don't break and other than one of the balls on the head nothing else does either it seems. This is a great design IMO. I've crashed mine so many time I can't remember them all and I haven't broke anything but one of the balls off the head. Lucky there is two and I just use that one. Mind you I always cut the throttle before impact and I have the heavier landing gear as well. Maybe I've been lucky /shrug

BTW isn't the walkera 64 c1 different from just the 64c? Thought the C1 had upgrades unlike the 64c?
Deserteagle is offline Find More Posts by Deserteagle
Old Jan 16, 2008, 08:32 PM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,371 Posts
walker c1 has brushless motor.
64#c is brushed.
-john
johnIn2SonAZ is offline Find More Posts by johnIn2SonAZ
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 16, 2008, 09:23 PM
Riverside, CA
Joined Sep 2006
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbusa05
Are there other brands/models out there that I haven't reseached yet that might meet my requirements?
Have you looked at the Compy FP yet?

http://www.aero-fever.net/product_in...roducts_id=581
NorthwestWolf is offline Find More Posts by NorthwestWolf
Old Jan 26, 2008, 02:02 AM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4buy
Here is some more Info on the SRB Quark with a Video.
Looks impressive.
SRB Quark Info with video link...
Looking at the pictures, I am wondering if it has a Bell-Hiller head?
I see 2 rods from the swashplate to the head:
1. One rod looks to influence the rotor blade pitch by
swinging the stabilizer bar so that one paddle/side moves up
and the other paddle/side moves down
(which via another rod will change the pitch of the main rotor blades).

2. The other rod looks to more indirectly affect the rotor blade pitch
by rotating the paddles/stabilizer to change the paddles' angle of attack/pitch,
increasing one paddle's angle while decreasing the other paddle's angle
(then as the paddles move through the air, the difference in angle causes
a difference in lift, which causes one paddle to swing up and the other
to swing down).

----------------
On another topic, I saw a video somewhere of the Quark in stable hover
while the hands are off the transmitter controls. I wonder how hard it will
to adjust the Quark to this level of stability:

1. I have seen a similar hands-off stability video of an Esky Lama 2,
but I could never adjust mine to be that stable.

2. I can adjust my XRB Lama (tethered) to that level of stability, but it
takes a large amount of time adjusting to reach that level.
As an aside, I find that the worst part of breaking the XRB blades is
not the cost of the blades, but the time needed to adjust the XRB after
mounting a new set of blades.

---------------
Oh yes, I have a GWS mini-dragonfly (similar to an HBFP) and I find it
more sturdy than my Esky Lama 2 or my XRB Lama.
Nothing broken yet on my mini-dragonfly, despite a number of rotor strikes
on stone walls, steel doors, etc.
Meanwhile, at similar or lower speed collisions, my Lama 2 eats inner-shafts and my XRB eats blades (after the packing tape mod).
But my XRB and Lama 2 are less likely to hit anything.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Last edited by flying-llama; Jan 29, 2008 at 12:28 PM. Reason: spelling correction: Hillier -> Hiller
Old Jan 29, 2008, 07:47 AM
practice, practice, practice
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Mar 2005
728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama
Looking at the pictures, I am wondering if it has a Bell-Hillier head?
On the Japanese page, Hirobo claims that it has a Bell-Hiller head.

cvlex
cvlex is offline Find More Posts by cvlex
Old Jan 29, 2008, 08:20 AM
San Carlos, California, United States
Joined May 2002
7,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvlex
On the Japanese page, Hirobo claims that it has a Bell-Hiller head.

cvlex
That's really odd...most FP helis use a Hiller arrangement.

It might explain the $400 MSRP, though.

Toshi
TMorita is offline Find More Posts by TMorita
Old Jan 29, 2008, 10:42 AM
Joined Sep 2007
852 Posts
Can someone just buy this thing first and give a full review!
learninginverted is offline Find More Posts by learninginverted
Old Jan 29, 2008, 11:53 AM
Scarecow
UK
Joined Sep 2004
2,361 Posts
Don't think its released yet.

Not sure how a bell-hiller head makes it more stable.....more likely more twitchy.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 01:07 PM
USA, NV, Carson City
Joined Sep 2006
1,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuckpoo
Can someone just buy this thing first and give a full review!
They say (whoever "they" are) that the Quark will hit our shores here in the states late Feb/early Mar.. You know what that means, might see it here in April!!??
Do a Google on "Hirobo SRB Quark" and you'll find a short video (youtube) and a real short review by a guy in Switzerland that got one a week or so ago.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 10:55 PM
practice, practice, practice
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Mar 2005
728 Posts
another short video:

http://www.ep-8ver2.com/SRB_1.wmv

cvlex
cvlex is offline Find More Posts by cvlex
Old Jan 31, 2008, 04:32 PM
USA, NV, Carson City
Joined Sep 2006
1,804 Posts
...and another! lookin' good!

Flight of Hirobo SRB Quark (1 min 20 sec)
Old Jan 31, 2008, 05:09 PM
Scarecow
UK
Joined Sep 2004
2,361 Posts
Good pilots can make anything look good. What concerned me more was the hovering in cvlex's video link. It wasn't bad it just wasn't any different from any other micro...didn't particularly appear any more stable and there also seemed to be the odd tail glitch. Didn't make me think that this is anything special and therefore worth the extra moolah.
Old Feb 05, 2008, 10:16 AM
USA, NV, Carson City
Joined Sep 2006
1,804 Posts
Different look for the Quark.

Two additional body styles for the SRB Quark, the Airwolf and Bell 222.

HIROBO SRB airwolf (1 min 25 sec)

HIROBO SRB Bell222 (0 min 54 sec)
Last edited by CCbusa05; Feb 05, 2008 at 10:44 AM.