HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 28, 2008, 09:13 PM
Joined Jun 2007
2,152 Posts
Ok if you have the cash, swift 16 or carbon 550. If your on a budget. The mini Titan E325(450 size). The swift is a 550 heli its bigger and more stable. If you an afford it, this will be the trainer of your dreams for learning cp. You can get the kit at tower hobby with the 20 off $150 purchase for 169.00. Electronicis will be a not too much more than the cost of the 450 setup. The batteries will cost a lot more but prices are coming down. The choice if you cannot afford the swift is the mini titan. It has a bigger presense than the Trex. If you put them side by side the titan is bigger by several inches. It also flies stable almost like a 550 size heli. The instructions on the build are quite nice and can be completed with in 6 hrs or less. Even though the titan is very stable, nothing beats having a bigger bird. It will have a bigger presence in the sky. These things can get out of sight fast and you will lose orientation. A bigger bird can be seen from farther away and help to keep your visuals up. My friend used to always push the align, now he pushes the titan and beam. His flying improved a lot flying the mini titan se over the trex se. It is the stable characteristics that helped him advance. Forgot to mention at amainhobby or ultimate hobby you can get the titan for $129 with free shipping for the kit. I recommend cc35 esc, jgf500th motor, logitech 2100t gyro and the JR mini heli servo package.

Good luck.
whilrybird is offline Find More Posts by whilrybird
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2008, 06:08 PM
Joined Mar 2008
72 Posts
whilrybird, do you know if the blade 400 is a good copter? It seems like a really good bargin for 400$?

Not sure how it flys though, I would rather invest in the mini titan, if its going to be a much better flyer.

I still wonder if I shouldn't just build a compy 300 fp first, just to get my first build under my belt. Not sure if I could set up a cp correctly.

Dan
dhoff002 is offline Find More Posts by dhoff002
Old Apr 29, 2008, 10:29 PM
Joined Jun 2007
2,152 Posts
The blade 400 is an ok heli. The problem with it is that in the end it might cost the same as a mini titan. I have heard people crashing because the servos strip out in flight or they are not that accurate. I have also heard people complain about the esc cutting out. Also heard that the gyro doesn't give a good enough locked in feeling. So add up about $160 for some good servos, $104 for the logitech 2100t, about $80 dollars for a CC 35 esc. How much of a bargain did you really have? While it is a great heli for 3d it is not really a good heli for a beginner. It is smaller than the mini titan and therefore less stable.

As for the mini titan instruction sheet is very detailed and everything comes prebagged. As long as you follow the directions to the letter and do not open bags until the directions tell you, you will do just fine. The linkages are drawn to scale on the manual. All you have to do is put the linkage on the paper and line it up to match the correct length. The hardest part of the build is the electronics and programming the radio. The manual does give nice pitch and throttle curves to follow, but I would still recommend getting someone who knows what they are doing to set up the radio and electronics together. If your good and programming the radio you might do well on your own. The other thing that is a little bit difficult is the gyro setup, you will find a comprehensive guide to the 2100t. I believe there is also a video tutorial for the gyro. Also you might want to look up the video tutorials made by Bob finless on helicopter setup. I think he has some on the different models hes tried.

You already have one FP heli it would be a waste of cash unless you want to sell your SRB to me lol.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 05:31 AM
Joined Mar 2008
72 Posts
I may stop by my LHS, I think they carry the mini titan. Maybe if I either buy the radio, or the kit there, they will help me make sure I set up the kit correctly.

I think for the radio I am just going to get the DX6i and 6100. I already have 4 JR nes-241 servos, would 3 of them work well for the cyclic, and just get a better servo for the tail pitch control?

I stll love my quark, so I plan to keep it, for stress free flying.

Thanks

Dan
Old Apr 30, 2008, 05:54 AM
Denver
Joined Mar 2004
433 Posts
I have a Hitec Optic 6 with a Spectrum Module, what receiver do you all recommend I use for the Titian?
vrex is offline Find More Posts by vrex
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:05 PM
San Francisco
Joined Jul 2004
52 Posts
Questions on Quark sensitivity adjustments

Hi all,

I switched the flybar position and the #4 dipswitch. I don't notice much difference when flying indoors in a small space - I'll try outdoors in the next couple of days to see how it behaves.

Has anyone experimented with the other adjustments? As far as I can tell, the other available adjustments are:

-Pitch Rod to Seesaw: there are 3 holes on the seesaw; the stock setting is on the inner most hole.

-Mixing Arm Rod to Seesaw: it looks like the mixing arm has a pin that fits into the seesaw. There are two holes on the seesaw; the stock setting is on the outermost hole.

-Stabilizer Control Rod to Washout Assy: the washout has 3 holes and the stock setting is on the innermost hole.

Any thoughts how any/all of these changes will impact the flight behavior? Any suggestions on what to change next?

Once I get some more practice, I'll get up the courage to experiment.

Thanks,
Chapman
cst4252 is offline Find More Posts by cst4252
Last edited by cst4252; Apr 30, 2008 at 11:44 PM.
Old May 01, 2008, 02:02 PM
Scarecow
UK
Joined Sep 2004
2,361 Posts
Quark finally lands in the UK
http://www.modelhelicopters.co.uk/ac..._Electric.html
(scroll down)
270 with TX, 250 w/o

Do I want one? Yes but price still hurts.
HoverBovver is offline Find More Posts by HoverBovver
Old May 01, 2008, 03:25 PM
Joined Jun 2007
2,152 Posts
Compare the specs on the JR DS285s with the JR241. From what I know they share the same gears, but no clue as to motor strength, speed, torque, accuracy.

Use the AR6200 because it has a satellite antenna for signal diversity.

The difference in stability should be seen when you are able to make it fly faster in a larger space. It will take longer to self correct.
Old May 01, 2008, 06:49 PM
Joined Mar 2008
72 Posts
here are the specs on my servos:

241 Micro Servo: Metal Gear Specs

Type: Metal-Gear Micro Servo
Torque: 17 oz/in
Speed: .18 sec/60 degrees
Dimensions: 0.45 x 0.87 x 0.85 in
Weight: 0.82 oz
Motor Type: 3-pole ferrite
Connector Type: JR
Gears: Metal Gear
Cost: 39.99

not sure if they will be okay or not?

I would likely use a different servo for the tail
Old May 01, 2008, 11:26 PM
Joined Jun 2007
2,152 Posts
DS281 Sub-Micro Digital Servo
Specs
Torque: 17 oz/in
Speed: .23 sec/60
Dimensions: .45 x .85 x .87 in
Weight: .32 oz
Bearing: n/a
Motor Type: cored ferrite
Gears: Nylon

Looks good. A bit faster than the 281. Probably not as accurate but hey they have mg and should last long. I upgraded my ds281 with the 241 gear set. JR DS3400 would be a good servo for the tail
Old May 03, 2008, 08:26 AM
"I don't like it !"
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jan 2007
273 Posts
Quark price / Is thisheli too stable ?

HoverBovver ,

Quote:
Quark finally lands in the UK
http://www.modelhelicopters.co.uk/a...s_Electric.html
(scroll down)
270 with TX, 250 w/o

Do I want one? Yes but price still hurts.
Yeah, but there isn't much chance of getting one cheaper, what with the euro being so bad against the or shipping/duties from the States . Thinking about one myself, if the quality is as good as claimed I could grin and bear it ....
Any idea if modelhelicopters are carrying spares ? I couldn't find them in the mass of Hirobo spares, I might have to ring them and find out ...

One thing that almost worries me is it almost sounds like this flies TOO well ...Can anyone out there tell me how it compares to say a Honeybee FP ? If it's too stable then it could be like flying a Co-ax (sort of feels like cheating) .

p.s. HoverBovver, coming from the UK you know that isn't my real picture, don't you ?
oddlegs is offline Find More Posts by oddlegs
Old May 03, 2008, 06:06 PM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,371 Posts
I just flew my SRB Quark and am very impressed with it's stability. It's very easy to fly indoors. this heli is perfect for flying in small indoor spaces. I think i will try to carry it on my website. it's only down fall is the hefty pricetag. but the quality seems to be very high. and this is the only small heli i would recomend for flying in someones home. the foam blades were a smart idea!not much dammage can occur inside.
-johnw
www.rchobbyhelicopter.com
johnIn2SonAZ is offline Find More Posts by johnIn2SonAZ
Site Sponsor
Old May 04, 2008, 12:10 PM
Scarecow
UK
Joined Sep 2004
2,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddlegs
HoverBovver ,

Yeah, but there isn't much chance of getting one cheaper, what with the euro being so bad against the or shipping/duties from the States . Thinking about one myself, if the quality is as good as claimed I could grin and bear it ....
Any idea if modelhelicopters are carrying spares ? I couldn't find them in the mass of Hirobo spares, I might have to ring them and find out ...
I guess they'll be getting some in in due course, but yeah none listed at the mo. It's just hit shore though so maybe it'll take time to build up stock and presumably they'll be order direct from the distributor with a phone call.

Quote:
One thing that almost worries me is it almost sounds like this flies TOO well ...Can anyone out there tell me how it compares to say a Honeybee FP ? If it's too stable then it could be like flying a Co-ax (sort of feels like cheating) .
Bear in mind that the bigger the bird the more stable it is - not harder to fly. This is a sub-micro that flys like a bigger more stable machine so you're not really cheating just skipping the unstable jittery fixed pitch micro's.

I don't think you'd get bored like you would with a co-ax because by all accounts it has a decent amount of performance so you can either float it or fling it.

Quote:
p.s. HoverBovver, coming from the UK you know that isn't my real picture, don't you ?
Computer says no!
HoverBovver is offline Find More Posts by HoverBovver
Old May 05, 2008, 04:56 AM
Tokyo Setagaya-Ku, Japan
Joined Jun 2004
590 Posts
Hi Guys,

Concerning 45 degree, see the experiment due to MarioArgullo:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...842559&page=26

When the angle between the stabilizer and the main rotor becomes smaller
(than 90 degree), the semi-auto stability becomes larger(!?).
The most extremal case is the toy heli's mechanism(!?):0 degree!

http://www.taiyo-toy.co.jp/lineup/he...ini/index.html

I cannot understand it! Anyway, this one is very interesting and
I am much satisfied! I have three micro helicopters Piccolo, Hummingbird, HIROBO XRB.
However this one is the most interesting now! Indeed, it is good for the
speed control training of a heli.
K2-tokyo is offline Find More Posts by K2-tokyo
Last edited by K2-tokyo; May 05, 2008 at 05:16 AM.
Old May 05, 2008, 06:03 AM
Garland
USA, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Jul 2003
493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv
Jaguar, I *think* these are the correct parts:

43645-0200 plug for battery
43030-0007 crimp terminal for above

43640-0200 end for charger
43031-0007 crimp terminal for above

Until I actually receive and try these I won't know for sure that they're correct, but according to the pictures and dimensions they'll work. I should have them in hand on Tuesday, and will let you know for sure then.

[edit] WhooHoo, these work perfectly. The wire on the TP batteries is 16ga and too big for the plug, so I had to splice on a bit of 18ga but otherwise it's all good.
Would these molex connectors work on the XRB also?
Ghia is offline Find More Posts by Ghia