HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2008, 06:55 PM
Joined Jun 2007
2,152 Posts
I think if you use a cc10 or feigao and a pixie 7 for the esc, ar 6300, the esky 704a with the case removed. I think once you remove the old gear it might even become lighter. People are using the ar 6300 and esky 704 in the walkera 4#3 which is an even smaller fp heli, just slightly bigger than a havok heli.
whilrybird is offline Find More Posts by whilrybird
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2008, 07:02 PM
Dert Farmur
Saskatchewan
Joined Jan 2005
799 Posts
Got to thinking more about using a Spektrum, and after a bit of research heres what I've found would probably work...

AR6300 Rx: 2g, $60
T-Bird 6 Bl Esc: 4g, $25
Pixie 7P Esc: 3g, $15
Esky Gyro: 8g, $40

The total weight for the parts would be ~17g and the cost around $140. The stock 4in1 weighs 21.7g so AUW would actually go down some, but overall investment would increase by quite a bit to a bare minimum of $530.

So I was wrong and it is definitely possible. Whether or not it's technically feasible and affordable is up to the individual though. I'd try it myself but then I'd have yet another extra Tx laying around, plus I'm too much of a coward to be the first one to try anything.
Harv is offline Find More Posts by Harv
Old Apr 19, 2008, 07:04 PM
Hirobo Helis Rock
Canada, ON
Joined Mar 2005
28 Posts
I think the Quark flys just great on FM and since most people are going to 2.4Ghz then the frequency issues aren't really an issue. I like having a dedicated transmitter for my Quark and would rather wear my expensive TX out on my larger helis.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers
Blik
Blik is offline Find More Posts by Blik
Old Apr 19, 2008, 10:02 PM
Joined Jun 2007
2,152 Posts
I think you could get a cheaper ar6300 on ebay, use a feigao esc that cost 15 dollars, and the esky gyro might be found for about 35. IDk if its feasible but someone asked if it was possible.

The other thing is that maybe the 4in1 is able to be removed from the fm rx like the esky or eflight 4in1 on the lama or cx2 helis. If that is possible then you could just make jumpers to connect it directly to a 6300 or even a 6100 since no need to worry about gyro and esc weight.

IDK if you have a lama but I was wondering if the TX would work on the Quark. Unless there are a bunch of extra features on the stock quark TX, it might be a way for some to save some money.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 01:14 PM
Denver
Joined Mar 2004
417 Posts
voilia!

Instant Training Gear
vrex is offline Find More Posts by vrex
Old Apr 21, 2008, 04:47 PM
Dert Farmur
Saskatchewan
Joined Jan 2005
799 Posts
Nicely done vrex. Quick, simple and light.

You make a good point Blik...not needing to keep track of whether my main radio is with the little heli when I want to fly airplanes, or with my planes when I'm ready to fly the SRB in the house is actually rather nice and something I hadn't thought about before. In fact you've now got me to thinking about dusting off my old Spektrumized 6102 and keeping it in the case with the Trex so it'll all be in one self-sufficient package also.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 06:46 PM
Hirobo Helis Rock
Canada, ON
Joined Mar 2005
28 Posts
Harv I guess us Western folk think alike. I like things simple and organized. It's fun to mod some things but usually costs you more in the long run.

Cheers
Blik
Blik is offline Find More Posts by Blik
Old Apr 23, 2008, 10:43 AM
Quebec, Canada
Joined Apr 2008
4 Posts
Srb Quark is awesome

Hello Everybody, I just signed up to share my thoughts and experiences with the SRB Quark.
I've flown coaxial (and 2ch toy helicopters) for around a year and figured it was time to get something more fun....
So I bought an SRB Quark about 2 months ago and I love it. It's an excellent choice for a beginner like me.
I fly at least 2 batteries a day and sometimes up to 8 per day on weekends.

It flew perfect out of the box with no adjustments needed. After several battery charges of hovering practice, I felt very comfortable to fly circles and figure 8's and land on a little helipad.

Recently I turned on switch #4 on the Rx and adjusted the flybar to the 'Expert' setting (as shown on page 33 of the manual). I love it even more than I did before, It's easier to fly it outside now.

As others have stated in this thread.... It flies nicely in 4 - 5 km/h winds.
I'll still go outside to practice hovering in 10 km/h winds with ok results (it's not as fun though).

As far as durability and quality..... I did a full speed nose dive into the grass from about 15 feet up and aside from broken main blades, the only damage was a slight bend on the front of the skids. I gently bent it back into shape, put on some new blades and it flies just as nice as before.

Another crash was bad enough to knock the main blades slightly out of pitch and loosen a few screws on the tail boom.
However, the manual was very clear about how to fix misaligned blade pitch and readjust the head speed.
As for the loose screws, I just snugged them back up with the included tools. Flies good as new!

Apologies if this post is too long, I could type for pages about how much I enjoy this helicopter.
NeoGeo is offline Find More Posts by NeoGeo
Old Apr 23, 2008, 10:50 AM
Quebec, Canada
Joined Apr 2008
4 Posts
Here's a short video of me flying the Quark after about 1 month of practice.
SRB Quark - Sunday Flying (0 min 46 sec)
NeoGeo is offline Find More Posts by NeoGeo
Old Apr 23, 2008, 11:17 AM
Joined Jun 2007
2,152 Posts
Yes this thing would be more popular if hirobo would just drop the price by another 100 to 150 dollars. Everyone sticks it to the US but haven't realized our economy is in the dump. Heck we allow other countries with poor economies to buy our DVDs for $5 or less while we pay $20 to $25 on the new releases. Like I've said before if they had this when I first started I would have a lot less helis than I do now. Flying indoors without constant worrying of crashes is nice. I fly my walkera 52 in my house but will not dare to fly it nose in. Way too quick with no bail out like the Quark.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 07:51 PM
Dert Farmur
Saskatchewan
Joined Jan 2005
799 Posts
Looks great Neo, glad you're having fun with it also. Looks like you've got lots of space to practice in too.

I agree whilrybird...I could've skipped quite a few purchases, possibly including my beloved XRB, had these been out when I started. Not that i regret owning any of my former helis, but my wallet and nerves would be a lot happier for sure.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 10:16 AM
Joined Mar 2008
72 Posts
Can I use my JR XF421radio with the quark, if I just get a crystal for it to match the quark receiver?

Or do you have to use the quark radio?

Thanks,

Dan
dhoff002 is offline Find More Posts by dhoff002
Old Apr 25, 2008, 01:46 AM
Joined Jun 2007
2,152 Posts
They sell a version with tx and without. If your radio supports the frequency you can use it. Check out heliproz they carry both versions now.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 02:27 PM
Joined Mar 2008
72 Posts
Just got my new quark today. I have only had coaxials in the past including the colco lama IV, and the walkera 5G6.

This is such a stable heli. I was able to tail in hover easily my first battery. I think I just went through all of radd's flight school on the first battery.

This must be the heli.

I just need to get some of the modded battery packs so I can fly more, to start flying some patterns.

Any suggestions on what I should be able to do before I start slow forward flight.

This is a great heli, I am glad I went for this instead of the honeybee fp.

What tape did you guys use to reinforce the blades.

Thanks,

Dan
dhoff002 is offline Find More Posts by dhoff002
Old Apr 25, 2008, 04:05 PM
Joined Jun 2007
2,152 Posts
Clear packing tape. Just press the stick forward, let go if you get in trouble lol.