SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 08, 2008, 05:57 AM
Germany
Joined Jul 2006
365 Posts
@Harv

Did you receive the Molex "replacement" connectors in the meantime? Do they fit?
I am definately not ready to buy the original battery from Hirobo as a back up.

Thks and rgds
Jaguar 20040 is offline Find More Posts by Jaguar 20040
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2008, 09:38 PM
Dert Farmur
Saskatchewan
Joined Jan 2005
799 Posts
Jaguar, the numbers I listed above are the correct ones. I've flown and charged the TP batts 7 times with those connectors and they're a perfect fit, with the added bonus of no extra wires and plugs now.

Now that I'm able to use my Triton and 610C and see how many mah I'm putting back in I've cut my flight times down to 7.5-8 minutes. Almost ten minute flights can be had if I fly until the LVC kicks in, but then I'm putting a full 480mah back into the batteries. With the shorter flight times and only needing ~400mah the batteries will have a significantly longer lifespan.

Been quite a day with the SRB though. Took it outside again this morning and had a great time doing figure 8's for almost 15 minutes until the breeze got up to over 6 kph. The SRB is still flyable and controllable, but anything over 5 klicks with some turbulence takes a lot of the fun out of it. Went back to working on my hovering in the shop and had my first crash when I lost it nose-in. I kept pushing forward on the stick when it was coming towards me, and it rocketed past and tried to screw itself through the back of an open cabinet before I was finally able to kill the throttle. Amazingly enough the only casualties were the main blades, even though it smacked in pretty hard and thrashed around for a few seconds.

I'm sure the excitement and novelty of the Quark will eventually wear off, but I've put over 30 flights on it so far and I'm still waiting like Pavlov's dogs for the charger to beep that its finished.
Harv is offline Find More Posts by Harv
Old Apr 08, 2008, 11:46 PM
San Francisco
Joined Jul 2004
52 Posts
Initial impressions of the Quark

My buddy bought the sole Quark from fxaeromodels (I'm surprised nobody beat him to it! Thanks for the pointer). I flew it tonight to get it in trim for him. It is an amazing machine - I can't wait to get my own. In some ways it reminded me of my Trex flight characteristics. The Quark was a bit more of a handful than I expected, especially compared to my XRB SR. I think the XRB might still be a better choice for those completely new to the hobby. I'll see how quickly my buddy progresses.

I'm looking forward to using the Quark as a trainer for my Trex, which is still very challenging for me.

Cheers,
Chapman
cst4252 is offline Find More Posts by cst4252
Last edited by cst4252; Apr 10, 2008 at 12:07 AM.
Old Apr 09, 2008, 11:17 PM
Dert Farmur
Saskatchewan
Joined Jan 2005
799 Posts
I know the feeling about the Trex Chapman...I had mine up for sale a while ago until the Quark convinced me that I might be able to fly helis after all.

Had mine outside a couple more times today and thought some longer flight times might be nice after all, so I tossed a TP 2S 730 battery on the scale and was surprised to see that it only weighed 2.7 grams more than the stock Hirobo batt. I quickly put the correct plug on it, did some math and flew it for 11 minutes. The charger put 591mah back in, which is almost perfect if the 80% rule is followed. I'll fly out all of the batteries tomorrow and check the tail rotor motor temps after some different flight times, as it seems to be the only thing that heats up during operation.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 10:08 PM
R/C Crash Test Pilot
Gloucester, Virginia
Joined Jul 2006
220 Posts
Harv how did the TP 730's work out? Do they fit in the Quark's battery tray?
Nanocer is offline Find More Posts by Nanocer
Old Apr 10, 2008, 10:40 PM
Dert Farmur
Saskatchewan
Joined Jan 2005
799 Posts
The TP 730 is fabulous! Fits just a bit snug in the tray with no trouble opening or closing it. 11.5 minute flights put less than 600mah back in, so almost 15 minutes should be possible if you don't mind taking the battery down to LVC.

I flew out two TP480's, the stock batt and the 730 both indoor hovering and outside flying, and in all cases the tail rotor motor reached 98F within a few minutes and never went over 100, even after a 12 minute hover inside. In my mind this is more than acceptable, and I'm not worried at all about the wee bit of extra weight or the longer flights with the 730.

Only a few more days with the Quark and nose-in might finally be within my grasp...
Old Apr 11, 2008, 09:36 AM
Dert Farmur
Saskatchewan
Joined Jan 2005
799 Posts
Had a couple of inquiries about the Molex connectors, so here's some further info...

I purchased mine from http://digi-key.ca/, although the easiest way to find them for your region is to search for the part numbers on www.molex.com then click on "Check Distributor Inventory" to see which one suits you best.

I didn't use a crimp tool ($247 to buy! ), but carefully trimmed away some of the end of the terminal and soldered the wire on. I would highly recommend you beg/borrow/rent the crimp tool if you can, or get an electronics tech to do it for you, as my method is slow and fiddly and the terminal might not fit in the connector.

Hope this helps.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 03:57 AM
Denver
Joined Mar 2004
453 Posts
I live in Denver and bought mine at my LHS, Colpar Hobbies. They have a web site but I don't know if it listed on it but you can call them.
Right now I am looking for a place where I can order another battery, and some extra main and tail baldes. They include several extra main and tail blades with the heli.
Havn't flown it but the manual is pretty through. But that is what I expect with Hirobo
vrex is offline Find More Posts by vrex
Old Apr 12, 2008, 06:25 AM
Hudson, NH
Joined Mar 2007
228 Posts
I got an email from here:
https://www.fxaeromodels.com//index.php?cPath=49_83

They have the rtf and arf without radio w/ free shipping.

Out of my price range, just thought I give you guys a heads up.

I have had no dealings with them so I can't comment on service.

Bill
billm555 is offline Find More Posts by billm555
Old Apr 14, 2008, 06:22 AM
Denver
Joined Mar 2004
453 Posts
subscribe
vrex is offline Find More Posts by vrex
Old Apr 15, 2008, 07:33 PM
A land Far, Far away
Joined Aug 2002
207 Posts
Harv,
I'm confused about the molex connector thing, (I know, I'm easely confused!)
Is that what you have on your charger and that's why you changed? or is there some other reason? I would like to use the Tp batt. also and my own charger, but not sure about these crimp connectors. Could you just go over this O-N-E more time, slowly???
Tx a lot
bill
ElectroBill is offline Find More Posts by ElectroBill
Old Apr 15, 2008, 08:46 PM
Dert Farmur
Saskatchewan
Joined Jan 2005
799 Posts
Bill,

The control unit on the SRB will only accept a Molex plug, so in order to use anything other than a Hirobo battery you need to use these specific connectors.

One is already provided and attached to the stock batt, so probably the best and simplest method to use TP (or other aftermarket) batteries is what I did originally...I just cut the plug off of the stock batt and spliced in a JST connector. Chances are most people using the smaller TP batts already have the corresponding JST plug for their charger, and there is no need to modify the batteries either.

The downside to this is that it adds a gram or so of weight and the extra plug hanging out is a bit unsightly, so that's why I went to the Molex connectors on the batteries also. And once you have these attached to the battery, you will also need the opposite end for your charger leads in order to juice them back up.

Heh, after reading this I'm not sure it'll be any less confusing. I'll maybe go snap some pics and that should clarify things a little better.
Last edited by Harv; Apr 15, 2008 at 08:59 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 10:01 PM
A land Far, Far away
Joined Aug 2002
207 Posts
Harv-
Thanks a bunch! You know what they say about pictures...and yours are great close-ups,,,the molex are the same that come with the heli, right? Bill
ElectroBill is offline Find More Posts by ElectroBill
Old Apr 16, 2008, 03:21 PM
R/C Crash Test Pilot
Gloucester, Virginia
Joined Jul 2006
220 Posts
ElectroBill, yes they are the same Molex connectors that come on the bird.
I'm going a step further and replacing the pwr leads on the TP 730's because the stock wire is too big for the Molex connectors. I purchased my Molex connectors from Digi-Key also, they have a warehouse in the states (Thank You Harv) BTW the TP 2S 730mah batteries are available through Horizon hobby f/ $32.00, you can set two of these batteries up for the cost of one Hirobo battery not to mention longer flight times 480mah versus 730mah.

-Will
Old Apr 16, 2008, 03:36 PM
R/C Crash Test Pilot
Gloucester, Virginia
Joined Jul 2006
220 Posts
vrex/ alcon, you can purchase all parts with the exception of the receiver from UDISCO in Canada. I ordered my Quark there and then some Main/Tail blades last week. It took about three day's and cost me $9.00 for shipping (4 boxes of mains and 2 boxes of tail blades).

-Will