HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 21, 2009, 05:40 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsma22
Couple more packs through her and it's like heli heaven on earth, LOL! Don't even notice the slight twitch anymore and wont waste one minute of time tuning it out until I can wipe the perma-grin off my face! Which wont be for a few days.

Did break my first main rotor blade after a little panic move. But they're designed to break, right? That's a rhetorical question, btw, LOL! Mixed reviews on 5-minute epoxy for repairs? Or is it accepted practice? Some have said that their repaired blade came apart in flight! Not something I'd like to have happen. Should you replace blades in pairs? Or does it matter? I guess not if people are repairing them, right? Thanks again guys! I feel like I belong to something special. Something that, unfortunately, the price keeps too many unbelievers from experiencing. Long live the Quark!
I don't know why you think reviews are mixed on 5 minutes epoxy. It works! But don't skimp! I've repaired at least 15 blades 2 times with epoxy and never had one break in the same place. By the 3rd time, the blade is getting a little too beat up.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2009, 06:25 PM
Holy Roller
United States, MA, Taunton
Joined Dec 2008
423 Posts
I guess mixed reviews may be overstating a bit. Maybe more like a few voices in the dark saying that they've had blades come apart. I've just been re-reading through some of those responses and it appears that they may have not used enough epoxy or didn't use the correct stuff. I'll trust you on this one Balr14.

FYI, I found the tail blade to be slightly out of balance. Balanced it and the tail twitching is completely gone! Nice! After 3 packs and I can fly it as confidently nose in as I can with my mCX. This is going to significantly lower the learning curve!
johnsma22 is offline Find More Posts by johnsma22
Old Apr 21, 2009, 06:34 PM
Rochester , N.Y.
Joined Feb 2009
213 Posts
They have to be using something other then epoxy or skimping for them to come apart. Since using Balr14's epoxy method, I've never had them come apart unless making contact with the wall or ground and it was always in a different spot.
Wyatt450 is offline Find More Posts by Wyatt450
Old Apr 21, 2009, 06:35 PM
Rochester , N.Y.
Joined Feb 2009
213 Posts
The blades are not balanced that are on it shipped.
Oops double post.
Wyatt450 is offline Find More Posts by Wyatt450
Old Apr 21, 2009, 07:05 PM
Holy Roller
United States, MA, Taunton
Joined Dec 2008
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14
Just an FYI: Taped blades and expert settings seem to give it better outdoor performance, when you are ready for that.

Just out of curiosity, blades taped how, exactly?
johnsma22 is offline Find More Posts by johnsma22
Old Apr 21, 2009, 07:19 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,469 Posts
Quote:
About 3/8" - 1/2" along leading edge, using light-weight shipping tape. Some people tape whole blade, though. I don't like that method because it affects blade coning. But, here's a chance to experiment. There's not much else you can mod on this heli. I'm thinking of taking a stab at making my own fuselage.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 07:21 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,469 Posts
Quote:
FYI, I found the tail blade to be slightly out of balance. Balanced it and the tail twitching is completely gone!
Damn, right again! I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 10:55 PM
Columbus, OH
Joined Jan 2009
84 Posts
I think something is wrong with my Quark. I'm having major issues with the tail, it's gotten to the point where I don't really even want to fly the thing anymore because I keep crashing it and breaking blades. The tail makes this awful buzzing noise while I'm flying it, it does it the entire time, it's loud and annoying to listen to, and when I give left/right rudder input sometimes it becomes unresponsive and goes out of control! I've tried balancing the tail blades and this doesn't seem to make any difference. When I first got it I never had this problem and I never balanced the tail blades, so it hasn't always been like this. X, you mentioned that the CF drive shaft in the boom can come loose or slip where it connects at the bearing for the tail gear, so I took out the drive shaft, inspected it, and reinserted it...not really sure what you meant so I didn't know what to look for and it didn't make any difference. I've been watching a lot of different videos and none of the Quarks behave like mine, so I think there's something wrong with it. I can take a video of it and post if you guys want. Anyone have a clue what's going on with the tail?
cdm710 is offline Find More Posts by cdm710
Old Apr 21, 2009, 11:21 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm710
I think something is wrong with my Quark. I'm having major issues with the tail, it's gotten to the point where I don't really even want to fly the thing anymore because I keep crashing it and breaking blades. The tail makes this awful buzzing noise while I'm flying it, it does it the entire time, it's loud and annoying to listen to, and when I give left/right rudder input sometimes it becomes unresponsive and goes out of control! I've tried balancing the tail blades and this doesn't seem to make any difference. When I first got it I never had this problem and I never balanced the tail blades, so it hasn't always been like this. X, you mentioned that the CF drive shaft in the boom can come loose or slip where it connects at the bearing for the tail gear, so I took out the drive shaft, inspected it, and reinserted it...not really sure what you meant so I didn't know what to look for and it didn't make any difference. I've been watching a lot of different videos and none of the Quarks behave like mine, so I think there's something wrong with it. I can take a video of it and post if you guys want. Anyone have a clue what's going on with the tail?
The shaft itself shouldnt be the problem. Its the portion that the shaft fits into at the bearing in the tail gear box. Make sure you havent banged up the tail gearing from any crashes and they are meshing smoothly.
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Old Apr 21, 2009, 11:49 PM
Columbus, OH
Joined Jan 2009
84 Posts
I think you're right X. I googled 'quark tail gearbox' and the first thing that comes up is a guy having the same sort of issues I am.

http://runryder.com/helicopter/t487347p1/

Hopefully that's what it is and I can get it fixed, I'm really getting sick of it behaving like this! As always, thanks for the help X, I'll take it apart tomorrow evening and try and get it fixed.
cdm710 is offline Find More Posts by cdm710
Old Apr 21, 2009, 11:58 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
I think you're right X. I googled 'quark tail gearbox' and the first thing that comes up is a guy having the same sort of issues I am.

Hopefully that's what it is and I can get it fixed, I'm really getting sick of it behaving like this! As always, thanks for the help X, I'll take it apart tomorrow evening and try and get it fixed.
Hope its an easy fix for you
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Old Apr 22, 2009, 02:22 AM
Joined Jan 2009
312 Posts
I got to fly my quark in my church tonight. The building was empty. The pastor is a friend of mine. Was fun flying inside a BIG open space indoors. He has never flown a RC heli. I wanted him to try my coax but didn't have it with me. So I let him fly the quark. He did OK. We stopped after he crashed and broke both main blades. Still, easy fix, just slap some new blades on. I think I got him addicted. Uh oh. I can't get over how fun this quark is. I look at RC heli's in a whole new way with this thing. I love how it can perform big manuevers in small spaces. With a big CP heli you practically need a football field.
theskyking is offline Find More Posts by theskyking
Old Apr 22, 2009, 05:54 AM
Joined Mar 2007
194 Posts
Taping Blades

Quote:
Scotch tape strategically applied to the root of the blade at the most common break point will save blades and prevent breakage. I have had the blades bend and actually crease the foam but they did not break and contiuned to function quite well.

Apply about a 3" piece of scotch tape as shown in the photo (outlined in red) - balance the blades and fly. The tape has a negligible effect on performance.

I have crashed into trees and into the ground and bounced the Quark upside down on the ground and still the blades survived. They eventually break - but after much abuse.

If you look closely, you can even see the crease in the foam blade beneath the foam. Without the tape, the blade would have broken.
Attached Thumbnails
johnmcda is offline Find More Posts by johnmcda
Old Apr 22, 2009, 09:25 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,469 Posts
Quote:

Contact MRC and return the heli. They will repair it, often at no charge.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 11:13 AM
Joined Jan 2009
312 Posts
Regarding taping blades. Just be careful not to make them too strong. If too strong, crashes can start to damage other components in the head and shaft. Hence the whole point of disposable blades!
theskyking is offline Find More Posts by theskyking