HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 21, 2008, 04:20 PM
Droner
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, CPH
Joined Mar 2006
2,410 Posts
Very nice review, please post a link to the dealer.
SebastianJ is offline Find More Posts by SebastianJ
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2008, 04:50 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caeman
Regarding the reinforcement on the blades, fast, did you not like the sacrificial nature of the blades?
I use packing tape reinforcement on my XRB Lama blades (similar blades, I believe).
Even with the tape, the blades will still be the first things to break, protecting the other parts (and object hit) from too much damage.
Also, on the XRB at least, the blades are held by one screw each and will
fold a bit on a blade strike (like with other fixed pitch heli's, not like a Blade CX).
But with the tape, the blades are stronger.
On the XRB, the blades come with some tape on the leading edge, but this tape
tends to come partially off.
The packing tape also helps hold this leading edge tape on the blade.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Mar 22, 2008, 01:10 AM
Hirobo Helis Rock
Canada, ON
Joined Mar 2005
28 Posts
I also covered my main blades with clear Duct tape. I also trimmed the corner of the blades beside the blade holder so the blade would fold instead of damaging other parts from the shock. I had to increase my pitch and played with the other settings due to the increased blade weight. I didn't like the way the SRB reacted when I covered the tail blades so I put the stock ones back on. I am very happy with how this SRB flys and am having nothing but lots of fun with it.

Also check out my new paint job, I know it's Blade CP yellow but very easy to see

Cheers
Blik
Blik is offline Find More Posts by Blik
Old Mar 22, 2008, 12:53 PM
Bielefeld , Germany
Joined Nov 2006
108 Posts
SRB etailers in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas10an
Very nice review, please post a link to the dealer.
Here are a couple of sources in Germany:
World of Heli
Where I ordered mine from. When I ordered on a Sunday the availability status was also yellow but 3 days later the SRB was delivered to me.

Alternatively: Friedel
The sacrificial nature of the blades esspecially the tail blade means for me that with the slightest accident I have to sacrifice my hard earned euros for replacement blades. I have this on my XRB a long time now and ahve had a few big crashes, nothing elese has been damaged. The blades have always yielded first. I cut off a corner close to the mounting point to allow the laeds to fold up a bit more.

@Blik Nice color scheme.
I noticed you wound some of the antenne around the skids. Was the radio range too short with all the antenne in wound up in the canopy?
How did the SRB react differently with the taped tail rotor? More yaw?
Happy landings
fast4buy is offline Find More Posts by fast4buy
Last edited by fast4buy; Mar 23, 2008 at 02:23 AM.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 01:52 PM
Hirobo Helis Rock
Canada, ON
Joined Mar 2005
28 Posts
Fast4buy, thank you the yellow is definately easier to see. The tail seemed slower to respond and even though I played with my Gyro settings, I still didn't like the way it handled. The RX wire wrapped around the skid works fine, I flew this outside and did not notice any loss of communication between my TX and RX. I will do a proper range check and see what the results are.

Cheers
Blik
Old Mar 23, 2008, 11:33 AM
Scarecow
UK
Joined Sep 2004
2,361 Posts
I wonder if the scale bodies will ever make an appearance. I remember Hirobo displaying a n airwolf & bell 222 body for the xrb years ago but I'm not aware that they ever arrived in the west.
HoverBovver is offline Find More Posts by HoverBovver
Old Mar 23, 2008, 02:19 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoverBovver
I wonder if the scale bodies will ever make an appearance. I remember Hirobo displaying a n airwolf & bell 222 body for the xrb years ago but I'm not aware that they ever arrived in the west.
Model Rectifier in the US sells a Bell 222 xrb:

http://www.modelrectifier.com/rc-products/helicopters-electric.asp
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Mar 23, 2008, 05:13 PM
2012 ZX14R ....faster than you
USA, NV, Carson City
Joined Sep 2006
1,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoverBovver
HIROBO SRB airwolf (1 min 25 sec)
CCbusa05 is offline Find More Posts by CCbusa05
Old Mar 23, 2008, 05:21 PM
Hirobo Helis Rock
Canada, ON
Joined Mar 2005
28 Posts
CCbusa05, good find but that is a XRB airwolf modified to fit the SRB Quark. I was going to get my freind in Japan to pick one up for me but I am sure once the Quark starts selling and becomes a very popular FP heli, Hirobo will make one for it also.

Cheers
Blik
Old Mar 23, 2008, 06:28 PM
2012 ZX14R ....faster than you
USA, NV, Carson City
Joined Sep 2006
1,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blik
CCbusa05, good find but that is a XRB airwolf modified to fit the SRB Quark. I was going to get my freind in Japan to pick one up for me but I am sure once the Quark starts selling and becomes a very popular FP heli, Hirobo will make one for it also.

Cheers
Blik
Ooops!! My error, thanks Blik for setting the record straight!
CCbusa05 is offline Find More Posts by CCbusa05
Old Mar 23, 2008, 08:00 PM
United States, AZ, Scottsdale
Joined Dec 2003
127 Posts
How will the Quark benefit me?

I have a few Lama SRB's including the new Bell. I love my copters. I mostly fly inside because of the heat here in Phoenix.

Will the Quark do better outside? Does it come with training gear like the other SRB's? Will I have a big learning curve? I am concerned about how fragile the tail boom is.

I appreciate if someone could offer some guidance.

Andy
brucie1dog is offline Find More Posts by brucie1dog
Old Mar 23, 2008, 09:55 PM
Hirobo Helis Rock
Canada, ON
Joined Mar 2005
28 Posts
Andy, just to clear things up the heli you have is the Lama or Hirobo XRB not SRB. Those helis have four counter rotating blades and the SRB stands for "Single Rotor Blade". The SRB will fly outside on a calm day, and it handles like your Lama/XRB but has the feel of the larger RC helis. I have had a few mishaps with my SRB Quark and the only parts replaced were the main and tail blades. The booms diameter is very small and being made out of metal it is very hard to bend or break. The reason this heli does not break many parts is because of it's weight - 6 oz with the lipo.

Cheers
Blik
Old Mar 23, 2008, 10:15 PM
Joined Dec 2003
127 Posts
Performance & Skid

BLK thank you for your help. Is the skid metal as well? As far as the performance will it perform better in a breeze than an XRB?
Old Mar 23, 2008, 11:03 PM
Hirobo Helis Rock
Canada, ON
Joined Mar 2005
28 Posts
Andy, the Quark skid set is tough, but the battery tray is part of it and you are constantly opening and closing the tray. I did buy a spare skid set just in case, but so far so good. I never owned a Lama/XRB but used to own a Blade CX2 which my Quark SRB would definately fly circles around. I tried my Blade CX2 outside once and it almost blew away on me I have flown my Quark in a very light breeze and still had good control.

Cheers
Blik
Old Mar 23, 2008, 11:32 PM
Joined Dec 2003
127 Posts
Training Gear?

Blik,
Did your Quark come with training gear? The skid has to be better than the XRB! If you have a bit of a bounce with the XRB the skid breaks. Althoug the training gear looks tacky , I keep it on my XRB's, as changing the skid is a big pain.
Andy