Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 31, 2009, 09:56 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhirsch
James,

Pictures of the finished Micro SSX Biplane as promised. Will order a couple of 7x4 props from your web site tonight. LHS didn't have the correct size. I have to be careful on your web site or I could go spend crazy

Ron
Hey, that looks great! Thanks for posting.

James
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2009, 09:18 AM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
United States, OR, Mt Angel
Joined Jan 2008
1,429 Posts
A few photos in the air with the SSX BIPE

Anyone thinking of getting one of these great little planes stop thinking! Get one today! I get more comments on this little bipe than any other plane I fly. Everyone that sees it wants one. I'm tring to get our local hobby shop to carry the SSX Bipe.
D.B. Hooper is offline Find More Posts by D.B. Hooper
Last edited by D.B. Hooper; May 09, 2009 at 09:28 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 09:48 PM
TPCrowell
I live on a horse farm in the mountains of north Georgia
Joined Apr 2007
7 Posts
A new one

Good evening,

I finished my Jenny several weeks ago and have been looking at this bipe for some time. Picked the kit up at the local hobby shop on Friday and will start construction this weekend. I plan to use a Hacker motor (don't know which size yet), a Thunderbird SC and a Thunderpower battery. This is the same setup I have on the three other electrics in the shop. I will probably use the Spektrum radio with a micro receiver.

I have skimmed over this thread and several modifications stood out. Any thing different from the plans that I should be extra aware of?

I have been flying nitro for almost fourty years and just recently started exploring electrics. I am hopping that I can fly the bipe in the large basketball gymnasium where we fly during the winter.

Tom
TPCrowell is offline Find More Posts by TPCrowell
Old Nov 13, 2009, 07:22 AM
Let the vortex pull my weight.
Joined Aug 2009
287 Posts
Hey James!

I've been checking out the Millenium RC plane's for a few months now. I am relatively new to RC flying and have my "trainer" plane, so there is no need for the X-Trainer.

I saw the SSX Micro bipe at JR Fest last weekend. This is the plane I keep going back to your web site to check out. After seeing it at JR, I decided when I am ready for it, I'll get the kit.

The guy I saw with the plane was a vendor selling batteries. I do believe he said the bipe he was selling was one you built.

Man did I screw up not getting it. I say this because I got a Dynamic Foamy A-10 kit. In putting it together, it is going ok, but I am not a builder is the biggest thing I've learned. I should have gotten your bipe from the battery guy and put it away until I was ready to fly it .

James, the bipe is a beautiful plane, great job!
Hasek is offline Find More Posts by Hasek
Old Nov 13, 2009, 08:07 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPCrowell View Post
Good evening,

I finished my Jenny several weeks ago and have been looking at this bipe for some time. Picked the kit up at the local hobby shop on Friday and will start construction this weekend. I plan to use a Hacker motor (don't know which size yet), a Thunderbird SC and a Thunderpower battery. This is the same setup I have on the three other electrics in the shop. I will probably use the Spektrum radio with a micro receiver.

I have skimmed over this thread and several modifications stood out. Any thing different from the plans that I should be extra aware of?

I have been flying nitro for almost fourty years and just recently started exploring electrics. I am hopping that I can fly the bipe in the large basketball gymnasium where we fly during the winter.

Tom
I don't know how I missed this post. Did you get your answer?

James
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2009, 08:08 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasek View Post
Hey James!

I've been checking out the Millenium RC plane's for a few months now. I am relatively new to RC flying and have my "trainer" plane, so there is no need for the X-Trainer.

I saw the SSX Micro bipe at JR Fest last weekend. This is the plane I keep going back to your web site to check out. After seeing it at JR, I decided when I am ready for it, I'll get the kit.

The guy I saw with the plane was a vendor selling batteries. I do believe he said the bipe he was selling was one you built.

Man did I screw up not getting it. I say this because I got a Dynamic Foamy A-10 kit. In putting it together, it is going ok, but I am not a builder is the biggest thing I've learned. I should have gotten your bipe from the battery guy and put it away until I was ready to fly it .

James, the bipe is a beautiful plane, great job!
It will be available as an ARF soon, I hope!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2009, 09:38 AM
Joined Jul 2009
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarpy View Post
It will be available as an ARF soon, I hope!
I would definitely be interested in a MicroSSX bipe ARF! My SSX needs a hangar mate.

Question - will the Micro bipe slow down as much as the SSX will? I have 2 acres out in the country, so airspace should not be a problem but my landing area is somewhat limited due to trees. I can land my SSX with no issues at all and with some room to spare, but of course I really slow it down on approach and just float in. Do you think the micro bipe would pose any problems? Here is my property and landing area, if that helps any:

edit - I just saw the rcgroups video of the micro bipe, and it looks like it slows down enough to be manageable in my flying/landing area. Also, I have the RealFlight model of the micro bipe, is it fairly accurate? If so, then between the video and the sim, I think I'd be ok landing it in my yard. I guess the reason I'm asking about all this is just as a sanity check.

Also - what's the word on a standard sized SSX bipe? I'd be interested in one of those too
dakota2112 is offline Find More Posts by dakota2112
Last edited by dakota2112; Nov 16, 2009 at 10:42 AM. Reason: added image
Old Nov 16, 2009, 08:18 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota2112 View Post
I would definitely be interested in a MicroSSX bipe ARF! My SSX needs a hangar mate.

Question - will the Micro bipe slow down as much as the SSX will? I have 2 acres out in the country, so airspace should not be a problem but my landing area is somewhat limited due to trees. I can land my SSX with no issues at all and with some room to spare, but of course I really slow it down on approach and just float in. Do you think the micro bipe would pose any problems? Here is my property and landing area, if that helps any:

edit - I just saw the rcgroups video of the micro bipe, and it looks like it slows down enough to be manageable in my flying/landing area. Also, I have the RealFlight model of the micro bipe, is it fairly accurate? If so, then between the video and the sim, I think I'd be ok landing it in my yard. I guess the reason I'm asking about all this is just as a sanity check.

Also - what's the word on a standard sized SSX bipe? I'd be interested in one of those too

The micro Biplane does slow down well. Looks like you have plenty of room.

The SSX Biplane was put on hold due to some changes I want to make. I am working on another new product to be released in a few weeks. After that, I am going to make the changes to the biplane and put it into production.

James
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:37 AM
Joined Jul 2009
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarpy View Post
The micro Biplane does slow down well. Looks like you have plenty of room.

The SSX Biplane was put on hold due to some changes I want to make. I am working on another new product to be released in a few weeks. After that, I am going to make the changes to the biplane and put it into production.

James
You're giving me options paralysis!

I'm really looking forwards to a standard SSX bipe, but if a MicroSSX bipe ARF is coming, I might have to get one. Is that the new product you mention, or is there something else entirely coming down the pipe?
dakota2112 is offline Find More Posts by dakota2112
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:28 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota2112 View Post
You're giving me options paralysis!

I'm really looking forwards to a standard SSX bipe, but if a MicroSSX bipe ARF is coming, I might have to get one. Is that the new product you mention, or is there something else entirely coming down the pipe?
The new product is not an ARF. That is all I can say.

James
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2009, 06:57 AM
I HOOVER because I SUCK!
Portland,Oregon U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2007
5,141 Posts
I had been walking by this kit in my lhs for about a year now

drooling every time

finally got it yesterday

just re-read this thread, and curious if there are any more tips not found in the instructions

like previously posted of rounding the le of wing before adding ribs

also I a hoping it will fit one of the motors I already have

my outrunner choices right now are a 24g 3000kv cd-rom motor- what size prop do you guys think? for 2s or 3s- I know it is a touch heavy, but awesome power!

or I can go lighter with a hk 10g 2000kv motor- again, unsure of good prop size for that- maybe something like a 6x4?

this is going to be a fun build!

weather is too crappy in portland Oregon to fly much lately- so this is good winter build

lovely kit

mk
microkites is offline Find More Posts by microkites
Old Nov 28, 2009, 10:49 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microkites View Post
I had been walking by this kit in my lhs for about a year now

drooling every time

finally got it yesterday

just re-read this thread, and curious if there are any more tips not found in the instructions

like previously posted of rounding the le of wing before adding ribs

also I a hoping it will fit one of the motors I already have

my outrunner choices right now are a 24g 3000kv cd-rom motor- what size prop do you guys think? for 2s or 3s- I know it is a touch heavy, but awesome power!

or I can go lighter with a hk 10g 2000kv motor- again, unsure of good prop size for that- maybe something like a 6x4?

this is going to be a fun build!

weather is too crappy in portland Oregon to fly much lately- so this is good winter build

lovely kit

mk
Hi MK, thanks for purchasing my Micro SSX Biplane, I hope you enjoy it. The larger motor will be a bit on the extreme side. The smaller motor will be good for indoor and no wind flying. If you go with the smaller motor, you will need to use a large battery such as a TP 730 2S. You may also nee to move servos and receiver forward. Possibly in front of the lower front wing mount. You may also want to use only the top wing servo and link the ailerons together top to bottom. This is the typical indoor setup. I would not try any venue smaller than a double gym with a tall ceiling.

James
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2009, 11:24 AM
I HOOVER because I SUCK!
Portland,Oregon U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2007
5,141 Posts
thanks for nice kit

I am going for outdoor build and like some extra power

the 3000kv cdrom motor has awesome power on my 26" wing

am looking for a little more power and speed

and I have many 2s-3s between 300mah and 800mah - so can find good balance in there

so I am not worried about a little extra weight- always a little wind to contend with

do you think the 10g 2000kv motor would have enough power on 3s to handle the wind?

mk
microkites is offline Find More Posts by microkites
Old Jan 31, 2010, 08:23 PM
TPCrowell
I live on a horse farm in the mountains of north Georgia
Joined Apr 2007
7 Posts
What did I miss?

O.K., I was finally able to get outside to fly the microstick for the first time today and it was a horrible experience. From the moment it left the ground, it was totally out of control. Six minutes later, I was able to do a controlled crash into the tall grass with no significant damage. What happened? The plane balances right where the printed instructions call, 1.2" behind the top wing main spare, the incidence on both wings is within 2 or 3 degrees of zero, the control surface deflections are as specified. THe pushrods are all tight. I don't know. The plane looks great but flew like it the elevator was either full up or full down. At any throttle point from full to zero, it was either trying to flip on it's back or flip under in an outside loop. Possible problems with the lack of down or side thrust with the motor, but it would not even glide in any controlable manner. The problem has to be with allignment or center of gravity.
TPCrowell is offline Find More Posts by TPCrowell
Old Jan 31, 2010, 08:38 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPCrowell View Post
O.K., I was finally able to get outside to fly the microstick for the first time today and it was a horrible experience. From the moment it left the ground, it was totally out of control. Six minutes later, I was able to do a controlled crash into the tall grass with no significant damage. What happened? The plane balances right where the printed instructions call, 1.2" behind the top wing main spare, the incidence on both wings is within 2 or 3 degrees of zero, the control surface deflections are as specified. THe pushrods are all tight. I don't know. The plane looks great but flew like it the elevator was either full up or full down. At any throttle point from full to zero, it was either trying to flip on it's back or flip under in an outside loop. Possible problems with the lack of down or side thrust with the motor, but it would not even glide in any controlable manner. The problem has to be with allignment or center of gravity.
Hi, sorry you are having trouble. Can you tell me more about your setup? What battery and what motor are you using. Also, I recommend the bottom wing to be slightly positive and the upper wing slightly negative. The two wings should form an arrow. If both wings are at positive incidence, it will do exactly as you are describing.

James
RCG Plus Member