SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 29, 2009, 10:37 PM
Watch the Grass Grow
Hollis, New Hampshire
Joined Jul 2007
77 Posts
Finally

Just finished my bipe. Winter here in the Northeast so there was no hurry. Been working on it since last Fall. I was planning to have Millennium cover my wings and tail feathers but decided it was time to learn how to cover. It really came out sweet. Electronics are as follows: 4-S185 servos, Hacker A10-7L with a GWS 6-5 prop, Thunder Power 2 cell 730, ThunderBird 9 ESC. Since I only have a Futaba 6EX I installed the new 4 channel 2.4 GHz receiver "R6004FF". Fits like a glove in the receiver compartment. Short range tho. Spec is 300 feet. I did some mods during the build which I think are small improvements.

1. All servos have Dubro mini EZ connectors. With the S185's their height causes the music wire push rods to sit a bit above the control horns. I added a 2mm washer under the front of the 2 wing servos to correct this alignment.
2. Since the receiver is only 4 channels, I used an ulltralight Eflite Y cable and mounted the bottom wing servo facing 180 degrees from the top servo.
3. Added a small Dubro 1/2 inch rear wheel to the tail dragger. Don't know how well this will work.
4. To minimize the drag on the rudder and elevator push rods I mounted the 2 servos at the edge of the servo tray and ran the music wire on the inside of the servo arms. Also, the elevator control horn is under the stabilizer for better alignment with the pushrod support.
5. Removeable hatch is held in place with very small magnets in the hatch and 2 mm washers in the wing.

Can't wait to fly this bipe. Thanks James for such great products.

I will attach some photos over the next couple of days.

AUW is 7 oz.

Almost forgot, I added a 2mm washer (1 mm thick) under one screw of the motor mount to obtain approx. 2 degrees of right thrust.
rjhirsch is offline Find More Posts by rjhirsch
Last edited by rjhirsch; Mar 29, 2009 at 10:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2009, 10:53 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhirsch
Just finished my bipe. Winter here in the Northeast so there was no hurry. Been working on it since last Fall. I was planning to have Millennium cover my wings and tail feathers but decided it was time to learn how to cover. It really came out sweet. Electronics are as follows: 4-S185 servos, Hacker A10-7L with a GWS 6-5 prop, Thunder Power 2 cell 730, ThunderBird 9 ESC. Since I only have a Futaba 6EX I installed the new 4 channel 2.4 GHz receiver "R6004FF". Fits like a glove in the receiver compartment. Short range tho. Spec is 300 feet. I did some mods during the build which I think are small improvements.

1. All servos have Dubro mini EZ connectors. With the S185's their height causes the music wire push rods to sit a bit above the control horns. I added a 2mm washer under the front of the 2 wing servos to correct this alignment.
2. Since the receiver is only 4 channels, I used an ulltralight Eflite Y cable and mounted the bottom wing servo facing 180 degrees from the top servo.
3. Added a small Dubro 1/2 inch rear wheel to the tail dragger. Don't know how well this will work.
4. To minimize the drag on the rudder and elevator push rods I mounted the 2 servos at the edge of the servo tray and ran the music wire on the inside of the servo arms. Also, the elevator control horn is under the stabilizer for better alignment with the pushrod support.
5. Removeable hatch is held in place with very small magnets in the hatch and 2 mm washers in the wing.

Can't wait to fly this bipe. Thanks James for such great products.

I will attach some photos over the next couple of days.

AUW is 7 oz.

Almost forgot, I added a 2mm washer (1 mm thick) under one screw of the motor mount to obtain approx. 2 degrees of right thrust.
I have been getting better performance with an APC 7-4 SF prop on the Hacker A10-7L with 2 S 730 and a castle 9 ESC. That is a proven setup on the Biplane.

Can't wait to see pictures, I am glad you enjoyed your build.

James
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 29, 2009, 11:14 PM
Watch the Grass Grow
Hollis, New Hampshire
Joined Jul 2007
77 Posts
Prop

James,

Thanks for the quick reply. I will change the prop. If the LHS doesn't have them in stock I will order from you. I am a bit concerned about using a 7X4 prop on the Hacker. The spec calls for a max prop size of 7X3.5. Have you tried the 7x3.5 prop with the A10-7L? Is it sufficient? Also, have you had any problems using the 7X4 with this motor?? I just don't want to destroy that motor. As we all know, Hackers aren't cheap.

Thanks again for all the great products and great support.

Ron
Last edited by rjhirsch; Mar 29, 2009 at 11:21 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 12:46 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmoHead
Tim,

Are you planning on attending the Wintonbury Electric Fun Fly in June? If so, between you and I, we could represent the Millennium Nation pretty well I think.

-Eric
Eric, That sounds great. PM me with any info you have. I've never been there. I should have my 3DX by then.

What do you think J., you want to sponser us!
Ducati Mechanic is online now Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Last edited by Ducati Mechanic; Mar 30, 2009 at 02:15 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 12:48 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhirsch
James,

Thanks for the quick reply. I will change the prop. If the LHS doesn't have them in stock I will order from you. I am a bit concerned about using a 7X4 prop on the Hacker. The spec calls for a max prop size of 7X3.5. Have you tried the 7x3.5 prop with the A10-7L? Is it sufficient? Also, have you had any problems using the 7X4 with this motor?? I just don't want to destroy that motor. As we all know, Hackers aren't cheap.

Thanks again for all the great products and great support.

Ron
The ETOC guys are using a GWS 8-4.3 with that motor. I am positive the APC 7-4 SF will be OK. I have two models using that setup.

James
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 30, 2009, 12:51 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Semeraro
Eric, That sounds great. PM me with any info you have. I've never been there. I should have my 3DX by then also.

What do you think J., you want to sponser us!
Sure, how do airline tickets (First Class) and all the free airplanes you can crash sound.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 30, 2009, 12:52 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,354 Posts
Sounds great!
I just wanted a shirt.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 05:55 PM
USA, CT
Joined Aug 2007
142 Posts
Millennium Nation

Tim,

I think that being a flying member if the Millennium Nation is it's own reward. .

I'm confirming but I'm pretty sure the Fun Fly is June 20,21st in Bloomfield,CT (The Wintonbury club website isnt updated yet)..

"Hmmmm.... a 3DX for the Wintonbury Fun Fly... An admirable challenge... Think I have everything I need for mine... hmmmmmm..."

-Eric
DesmoHead is offline Find More Posts by DesmoHead
Old Mar 30, 2009, 06:15 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,354 Posts
Hi Eric,
Last night I meet a guy on the RCG that had to sell off a bunch of stuff. I got a (NIB) hacker x7 esc, (lightly used) berg micro stamp4, (NIB) diamond servo, and 4 ht500 servos, All for $67.00.
I'm on my way to a 3DX!
Today my 4 new rhino 3cell 460mah packs showed up from hobby king. I cant believe how light they are(1.3oz). They were like $8.00 each!
All I need now is the 3DX kit and motor. I have to refill my RC fund first.
I also just added a great planes Pluma to my line up.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 07:34 PM
USA, CT
Joined Aug 2007
142 Posts
Rhino Packs

Tim,

Lemme know how you like those packs in the Bipe. I need to order more packs and was considering those.

-Eric
DesmoHead is offline Find More Posts by DesmoHead
Old Mar 30, 2009, 07:59 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,354 Posts
no problem, I'm going out before work tomorrow. It rained all weekend I had today off, and we had 30mph winds.
I need to maiden my Pluma, and I wanted to fly the mini biplane on those packs.
theay look nice and the cells were 85% full, and balanced! all 4 packs. I was impressed right off. There 20c 3cell, so they should haul! I'm using 16c 3cell now, and its fast!

The only problem is,theay take a month to get.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 09:40 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,354 Posts
Eric,
The good news is those rhino 460mah 3cell packs, are great! The bad news is. I tryed to order more, and theay show -3 for stock.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 10:24 PM
United States, NH, Nashua
Joined Oct 2008
3 Posts
matthew bowdean just wanted to say that your MicroSSX bip looks great. nice job on the build.....now can you fly it
mnourse26 is offline Find More Posts by mnourse26
Old Mar 31, 2009, 10:49 PM
Watch the Grass Grow
Hollis, New Hampshire
Joined Jul 2007
77 Posts
Pilot

No question, M Bowdean is a great pilot!