HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2009, 10:30 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Semeraro
I had my maiden flight this morning, I still need to change a couple of things. I swaped out the motor(I cooked the old one on the bench ouch), the new motor will take a 3 cell 600mah pack. but its 1/2 the weight of the shulman fury so I need to add a little nose weight. even though she was a little tail heavy. I still ran out bolth battery packs and had 5 or 6 landings. Once this thing is dialed in its going to be awsome. It's also very fast with the dualsky xm2812ca-33 motor and 3 cell 600mah 20c pack.
Congratulations,

I fly my Biplane a little on the tail heavy side. I try to balance it so that when I am inverted, the elevator remains neutral.

James
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jkarpy; Feb 26, 2009 at 11:17 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2009, 08:35 PM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
United States, OR, Mt Angel
Joined Jan 2008
1,430 Posts
1st flight report

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarpy
Congratulations,

I fly my Biplane a little on the tail heavy side. I dry to balance it so that when I am inverted, the elevator remains neutral.

James

I finely got my Bipe in the air today!
It needed some down trim but once I had that trimmed it flew awesome! This plane rocks! I flew with the 11.1 480 3c and the 7.4 780 2c batteries. The 11.1 3c really moves this plane fast! It will do any acrobatic move you can think of!

The take off and landing from grass no problem at all.
With the 7.4 780 the bipe fly's nice and slow ! perfect for back yard flying or indoors. When I got home from our flying field I recharged and flew across the street from my house near a large field landing and taking off from pavement no problems. Love how it slows right down for landings with no tip stalling super stable.

This is must have plane! Love it!

I'm using a DX6i AR6100 2.4
D47 servos
19g 2100KV micro motor
CC 9 Thunderbird ESC
7x3.5 prop
11.1 3c 480 TP
7.4 2c 780
weight 7.5g
D.B. Hooper is offline Find More Posts by D.B. Hooper
Last edited by #1Crash Tester; Feb 07, 2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2009, 11:23 PM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
Joined Jan 2008
1,430 Posts
Bipe at the beach

Here's a short clip of my flight today at the beach. Looks like a seagull! lol Just after this it snowed.
Love this little bipe. Just ordered 4 more batteries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jduSV...e=channel_page
Old Feb 10, 2009, 12:26 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
The Micro SSX Biplane is my favorite plane to take to the beach.

Be sure to clean the wire with a little WD40 on a rag. They will rust from the salt.

James
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2009, 01:25 PM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
Joined Jan 2008
1,430 Posts
Quote:
The Micro SSX Biplane is my favorite plane to take to the beach.

Be sure to clean the wire with a little WD40 on a rag. They will rust from the salt.

James
You did a great job on this SSX Bipe! When I like something I don't mind telling others about it The fact your planes are laser cut here in the USA is a big plus. The first day I had the SSX Bipe at our flying club two people asked for your web address after seeing it fly.

I do have a few questions for you

What kind of average flight times are you getting with the 11.1 480 TP and the 7.4 730? Also I with the X1806n 19g 2100KV motor what's the best battery for indoor flight?
I was thinking of 7.4 250mAh? or will i need a smaller motor also? Which leads me to the question of CG adjustment with the lighter batteries.

Was thinking of a balsa wood ramp on the battery tray so I can slide the battery forward to clear the motor mount.

How are you adjusting your CG?
Thanks
Last edited by jkarpy; Feb 12, 2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 05:57 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1Crash Tester
You did a great job on this SSX Bipe! When I like something I don't mind telling others about it The fact your planes are laser cut here in the USA is a big plus. The first day I had the SSX Bipe at our flying club two people asked for your web address after seeing it fly.

I do have a few questions for you

What kind of average flight times are you getting with the 11.1 480 TP and the 7.4 730? Also I with the X1806n 19g 2100KV motor what's the best battery for indoor flight?
I was thinking of 7.4 250mAh? or will i need a smaller motor also? Which leads me to the question of CG adjustment with the lighter batteries.

Was thinking of a balsa wood ramp on the battery tray so I can slide the battery forward to clear the motor mount.

How are you adjusting your CG?
Thanks
I use the indoor power package on my site for the ultimate indoor biplane. The battery is a 480 2S. I move the R and E servos as far forward as possible and do a pull pull system for R and E. For the ailerons, I only use the top wing servo and link the top and bottom wings with carbon push rods.

I just ordered a new 5 gram motor that I am using for the next indoor bipe. I am using a pull pull on the ailerons this time. All the servos will be hidden inside the wings. The last indoor bipe I did was 6 oz ready to fly. my goal for the new one is 5 oz. I am making some changes to the laser cutting to help take some of the weight out.

James
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2009, 12:22 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
Ok, I made some modifications to my original set up. I wanted to use dualskys 600mah 3cell sl batteries, I went with a larger disk stile motor and I tied the landing gear together with kevlar thread to help with the extra weight. It all worked out very well and I was able to balance the cg by just moving around the receiver. I also put a little extra down pitch on the motor, and BAM there it was, the perfect set up. I'm getting 10min.+ flights and the handling is great! the guys at the club love it. Tim, from CT.
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Old Feb 22, 2009, 05:23 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Ok, I made some modifications to my original set up. I wanted to use dualskys 600mah 3cell sl batteries, I went with a larger disk stile motor and I tied the landing gear together with kevlar thread to help with the extra weight. It all worked out very well and I was able to balance the cg by just moving around the receiver. I also put a little extra down pitch on the motor, and BAM there it was, the perfect set up. I'm getting 10min.+ flights and the handling is great! the guys at the club love it. Tim, from CT.

Holy smokes , You'll shoot your eye out! How much does it weigh? Here I am squeezing every little bit of weight I can out of the laser cutting.

James
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2009, 06:55 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
Ya, sorry about that! This ones not legal for indoor that's for sure!
But it sure is fun to fly. The battery pack is not that heavy. Its the Super Light 16c series, and the motor weighs nothing .I'll put it on the scale when I get home and let you know. I love the Christmas's story reference.

Ok, the plane is just over 7.oz and the battery is 1.8oz. for a combined flight weight of, 8.91oz.

Thats not to bad, is it? keep in mind this was my first scratch build. I probably used to much glue. I used the heavy covering on the bottom wing, and half of the tail.

It does fly very well. Also, it only takes a 2 foot runway to get of the ground.

Its not as heavy as a red rider BB gun. Thats for sure!
Last edited by Ducati Mechanic; Feb 22, 2009 at 11:38 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 07:35 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
Ok, the plane is just over 7.oz and the battery is 1.8oz. for a combined flight weight of, 8.91oz.

I also went up to a 7x5 prop today, and it is so much better. I flew in 10-15mph winds, and it was great. The extra prop and weight made it a blast in the wind. going vertical is no problem.

WARNING! THIS IS NOT THE STOCK SET UP, I(and I'm sure J.) do not recommend these modifcations. When you go outside manufacture specs its a lot of work to get things just right. If you purchase everything from J. as a matched set, you wont have any problems.

That being said the reason I made these mods was to make a small plane fly like a big plane. I over power my planes because I fly in the wind. I also wanted longer flight times. Today I think I went over 12 min.

J. Karpy makes some of the best planes on the market. I should know I have 3 of them, and I still need a 3DX. Thanks J.!
Last edited by Ducati Mechanic; Feb 26, 2009 at 03:58 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 09:42 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:

I also went up to a 7x5 prop today, and it is so much better. I flew in 10-15mph winds, and it was great. The extra prop and weight made it a blast in the wind. going vertical is no problem.

WARNING! THIS IS NOT THE STOCK SET UP, I(and I'm sure J.) do not recommend these modifcations. When you go outside manufacture specs its a lot of work to get things just right. If you purchase everything from J. as a matched set, you wont have any problems.

That being said the reason I made these mods was to make a small plane fly like a big plane. I over power my planes because I fly in the wind. I also wanted longer flight times. Today I think I went over 12 min.

J. Karpy makes some of the best planes on the market. I should know I have 3 of them, and I still need a 3DX. Thanks J.!
I am at 7.25 oz so you are not too far off.

James
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2009, 11:42 PM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
Joined Jan 2008
1,430 Posts
Quote:
Hey, looks great! I use a 7-3.5 GWS prop with a 3 cell battery. Use a 7-5 with 2 cells.
Just saw this about using the 7x5 prop with the 7.4 2c.

Not much power using the 7x3.5
Old Mar 29, 2009, 01:09 PM
USA, CT
Joined Aug 2007
142 Posts
Finally back in the air

Sorry to have dropped off for a bit. I thought I'd post a couple of pic's of my Bipe. I linked the ailerons together so that I could play with flaps and differential (and just have fun modeling a bit). It has some other minor mods too. Bomb release is coming.

-Eric
DesmoHead is offline Find More Posts by DesmoHead
Old Mar 29, 2009, 01:36 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
Eric,
whats up? it looks great! cool mods. I switched to these small dubro wheels.
there even lighter than stock. and theay work so much better. I also tied the landing gear together with kevlar thread.
Even with a 600mah 3cell I can land on hardpack, or pavement without a problem.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 07:11 PM
USA, CT
Joined Aug 2007
142 Posts
Finally back in the air

Tim,
Hey!! Yours looks great too. I'm pretty happy with how things turned out. Couple of things I'll do on my next one. Once I get the wing tips, leading edge and trailing edge glued into a rectangle, I'll round the leading edges before install any ribs or anything. Second, I'll be double sure to fit my servos before I cover anything. I used the GWS wheels because I like the way they look. You just have to be gentle with them. I have the stock wheels on my MSSX and they work great off grass for what they are.
I didnt end up having to use any servo extensions on the Bipe per se. I opened the top aileron servo and exchanged it's stock lead for a longer one, but other than that, all servos leads are stock. I used a spare AR6100 ply receiver tray (thanks James) and added a very small sister stringer between the main ribs. The servos plug into my 6100 directly from the top. I didnt want to see the servo wire between the wings so I used a long piece of shrink-wrap on one of the X-brace cabanes. There are a couple of other little things too. Nothing much, just enough to make it my own.
Are you planning on attending the Wintonbury Electric Fun Fly in June? If so, between you and I, we could represent the Millennium Nation pretty well I think.

-Eric
DesmoHead is offline Find More Posts by DesmoHead