HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2009, 06:50 PM
What, Me Fly?
Lakeland, Fl
Joined Feb 2004
161 Posts
Dade City? I don't know....I might be able to go. I may have to ride though. I am training for a 200 mile bicycle ride.
Jim
wing1 is offline Find More Posts by wing1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2009, 09:29 PM
USA, CT
Joined Aug 2007
142 Posts
Diamond D47's in Bipe

Has anyone used the D47's in the Bipe? I've run into a little problem in the lower wing. The short stringer that goes between the W1A ribs and supports the lower wing upper deck D3 doesn't seem to allow enough clearance for the aileron servo to sit in it's pocket. I think I understand that the D47's require the use of the small plywood spacers but this interference doesn't feel right. The servo stands proud of the wing about 1/8". Anyone else run into this?

-Eric
DesmoHead is offline Find More Posts by DesmoHead
Old Jan 14, 2009, 11:17 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmoHead
Has anyone used the D47's in the Bipe? I've run into a little problem in the lower wing. The short stringer that goes between the W1A ribs and supports the lower wing upper deck D3 doesn't seem to allow enough clearance for the aileron servo to sit in it's pocket. I think I understand that the D47's require the use of the small plywood spacers but this interference doesn't feel right. The servo stands proud of the wing about 1/8". Anyone else run into this?

-Eric
Are you using two of the plywood adapters? You may need to trim the stringer or add a shim under the plywood adapter. The D47 is a great servo, it's just a little tall.

I think I just trim the stringer.

James
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2009, 06:52 PM
USA, CT
Joined Aug 2007
142 Posts
Thanks James

The gap is more than 2 shims worth. I can certainly trim/remove the stringer though. How do the HS45's fit? If they are a better fit I can always save the 47's for my 3DX.

-Eric
Old Jan 22, 2009, 11:59 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
The gap is more than 2 shims worth. I can certainly trim/remove the stringer though. How do the HS45's fit? If they are a better fit I can always save the 47's for my 3DX.

-Eric
The HS45 requires a lot of triming.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2009, 09:01 PM
USA, CT
Joined Aug 2007
142 Posts
Thanks James

Got it all sorted out I think. Pulled to covering off, trimmed the spar and recovered. Looks pretty good if I dare say so. Worth noting though if anyone plans on using the D47's.

Now all I need is some warm weather! It's 12 F here right now!

-Eric
Old Jan 28, 2009, 05:49 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,352 Posts
HI ERIC,
I still haven't been able to maiden mine either. The weather is horrible in CT. I built 4 new planes this winter, and I'm on my fifth. They all need there maiden. I have one cheep, profile Katana with skis that I fly in the winter.
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Last edited by Ducati Mechanic; Jan 28, 2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 10:47 PM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
United States, OR, Mt Angel
Joined Jan 2008
1,436 Posts
Quote:
Got it all sorted out I think. Pulled to covering off, trimmed the spar and recovered. Looks pretty good if I dare say so. Worth noting though if anyone plans on using the D47's.

Now all I need is some warm weather! It's 12 F here right now!

-Eric
Ok I'm back on track too! Got the Wb1 rib moved over where it should have been. I plan on using the AR6100 spektrum I'm hoping I won't need to extend the servo leads.
Should I run a Y for the ailerons?

Thanks to James for sending two new ribs to make the repair
D.B. Hooper is offline Find More Posts by D.B. Hooper
Old Jan 29, 2009, 11:17 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1Crash Tester
Ok I'm back on track too! Got the Wb1 rib moved over where it should have been. I plan on using the AR6100 spektrum I'm hoping I won't need to extend the servo leads.
Should I run a Y for the ailerons?

Thanks to James for sending two new ribs to make the repair
I used a Hitec mini receiver, that allows you to plug the second aileron servo into channel 5. eliminating the need for a y harness. your spectrum radio should allow the same application.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 12:07 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Semeraro
I used a Hitec mini receiver, that allows you to plug the second aileron servo into channel 5. eliminating the need for a y harness. your spectrum radio should allow the same application.
I set my biplanes up with channel 5 also. On the spectrum radio I program for flaparons and disable the flap switch.

James
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2009, 12:10 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Biplane final assembly

Be sure when you mount the wing a tail section on the biplane that the tail section is mounted all the way to the end of the fuselage stick. The wing should be as far forward as possible.

James
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2009, 03:54 PM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
Joined Jan 2008
1,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarpy
Be sure when you mount the wing a tail section on the biplane that the tail section is mounted all the way to the end of the fuselage stick. The wing should be as far forward as possible.

James
Not sure I understand that?
Old Jan 31, 2009, 01:54 PM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
Joined Jan 2008
1,436 Posts
[QUOTE=jkarpy]Be sure when you mount the wing a tail section on the biplane that the tail section is mounted all the way to the end of the fuselage stick. The wing should be as far forward as possible.

James[/QUOTE
Post #11 fig. 21 is this correct?

Finely got the Bipe together! Now if the weather will clear I have three Bipe's to maiden.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 03:58 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
[QUOTE=#1Crash Tester]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarpy

James[/QUOTE
Post #11 fig. 21 is this correct?

Finely got the Bipe together! Now if the weather will clear I have three Bipe's to maiden.
As a minimum, if you can make it longer, the plane will fly better.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2009, 08:04 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,352 Posts
I had my maiden flight this morning, I still need to change a couple of things. I swaped out the motor(I cooked the old one on the bench ouch), the new motor will take a 3 cell 600mah pack. but its 1/2 the weight of the shulman fury so I need to add a little nose weight. even though she was a little tail heavy. I still ran out bolth battery packs and had 5 or 6 landings. Once this thing is dialed in its going to be awsome. It's also very fast with the dualsky xm2812ca-33 motor and 3 cell 600mah 20c pack.