HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 04, 2008, 06:21 PM
East Coast Slacker
Berwick, Maine
Joined Oct 2007
183 Posts
Build started

I decided to start on the bipe while waiting for the second trainer kit.
mbragdon is offline Find More Posts by mbragdon
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2008, 08:03 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbragdon
I decided to start on the bipe while waiting for the second trainer kit.
Your picture just reminded me I need to update the instructions to show the gussets on the wings. The little laser cut triangle pieces are glued to the leading, trailing edges and center ribs on the outside of the center ribs; where the center ribs are inserted into the leading and trailing edge.

James
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2008, 06:05 PM
East Coast Slacker
Berwick, Maine
Joined Oct 2007
183 Posts
I wondered what those little triangles were for.
mbragdon is offline Find More Posts by mbragdon
Old Sep 27, 2008, 07:46 PM
Joined Sep 2008
6 Posts
Just finished mine and am awaiting the first flight. Covered the top of the wings in trans red and the bottoms in trans yellow. I did not use two servos for the wings but linked the ailerons together with a new horn and a small carbon rod.
Photos in a bit but this was a great kit to build.
Jay
gmapilot is offline Find More Posts by gmapilot
Old Oct 22, 2008, 07:07 PM
Parkzone connectors here!!
Joined Oct 2008
321 Posts
do any of you have the auw of this.. we have an indoor limit of 6 oz but i think i should be able to keep it at or under there with a few modification
olmstead25 is offline Find More Posts by olmstead25
Old Oct 22, 2008, 07:45 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmstead25
do any of you have the auw of this.. we have an indoor limit of 6 oz but i think i should be able to keep it at or under there with a few modification
I was able to make one that weighed 6oz.

1. Pull-pull for rudder and elevator
2. 1 servo for ailerons
3. 9 gram motor from my website (Micro Indoor Power pack)
4. Move servos and electronics as far forward as possible.
5. Use blue arrow 3.6 gram servos.
6. 2 gram AR6300 receiver
7. 250 mAh 2 cell battery
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2008, 11:13 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
British Biplane

I used Solite for this biplane.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2008, 05:39 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
my first kit build

I was wateing to get a micro biplane, hopeing for a ARF kit. I have a little extra time On my hands due to a knee injury, so I ordered the build kit. J, is right when he says these kits are easy to build. the hardest part is covering the wings. I have done some cover repair work in the past, but this is my first complete build. I'm getting the new 3dx mini next.
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Old Dec 13, 2008, 07:58 PM
USA, CT
Joined Aug 2007
142 Posts
Nice looking Bipe

Time,

I'm there with you Tim! My 3DX arrived today. Gotta get building!! BTW- Your bipe looks great! What covering did you use?

-Eric
DesmoHead is online now Find More Posts by DesmoHead
Old Dec 14, 2008, 02:05 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmoHead
Time,

I'm there with you Tim! My 3DX arrived today. Gotta get building!! BTW- Your bipe looks great! What covering did you use?

-Eric
Hi Eric,
You got me!, I used what I had left. I only had enough light weight, yellow(coverite)to do what you see here. I had enough red(monocote) to do the whole plane one color, but what fun would that be. So the end product is what you see here.I also have found there is no way I could do this with just a iron, I have a high end heat gun that works great. thanks, Tim
Old Dec 14, 2008, 09:42 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Semeraro
Hi Eric,
You got me!, I used what I had left. I only had enough light weight, yellow(coverite)to do what you see here. I had enough red(monocote) to do the whole plane one color, but what fun would that be. So the end product is what you see here.I also have found there is no way I could do this with just a iron, I have a high end heat gun that works great. thanks, Tim
Looks good, I see you have a Fury Motor. I have had great success with the Shulman Aviation Motors.

James
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2008, 07:49 PM
USA, CT
Joined Aug 2007
142 Posts
Looks great!

Tim,

I did mine in transparent yellow Solite. I found it easy to work with just an iron. I've never worked with monocote. I wonder is it's thicker and therefore needs more BTU's to get moving. I spent yesterday afternoon cutting the links I'm going to use to tie my ailerons together. I cut them out of black modified acrylic on a CNC router. They came out pretty good for an amateur.

Cheers!
-Eric
Old Dec 16, 2008, 09:03 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
Eric, That sounds very cool, you might have to make me a set. the monocote is a little on the thick side, I was trying to make the lower wing a little stronger. If it's to heavy, it will give me a reason to buy a bigger motor. I am useing the schulmen fury, it's a good little motor. I used it on a couple of scratch built(my design),depron, edge 500 models. theay were so small and fast, theay were a handfull to fly. the guys at the field got a kick out of it. Thanks, Tim
Last edited by Ducati Mechanic; Dec 16, 2008 at 09:15 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 10:18 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Semeraro
Eric, That sounds very cool, you might have to make me a set. the monocote is a little on the thick side, I was trying to make the lower wing a little stronger. If it's to heavy, it will give me a reason to buy a bigger motor. I am useing the schulmen fury, it's a good little motor. I used it on a couple of scratch built(my design),depron, edge 500 models. theay were so small and fast, theay were a handfull to fly. the guys at the field got a kick out of it. Thanks, Tim
Don't forget to put the carbon crossover pieces on. You can see an example on post #1.

James
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2008, 03:50 PM
USA, CT
Joined Aug 2007
142 Posts
Aileron links

Tim,

We'll see how they work. I made a bunch of 'em. If you want a set, PM me your address and I'll send you some to try. The tops have a .032 hole for a wire z-bend, the bottoms have a .063 for a quick link. I'm going to make tie rods out of carbon rod and use kevlar thread and CA to lash the wire to the carbon. I'm going for style points. If it all works, I'm going to start on a bomb release for mine

-Eric