HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2010, 03:50 PM
TPCrowell
I live on a horse farm in the mountains of north Georgia
Joined Apr 2007
7 Posts
My Setup is:

Good afternoon,

I am running a Hacker A10-7L motor turning an EP 7060 prop with a 480 mAh Thunder Power Pro Lite V2 battery pack. I am using a Castle Thunderbird #9 ESC and the receiver is a Spektrum AR500 with three Hitech HS-55 servos.

How much oposing incidence should I have? Any thoughts on how to lossen the cabane (?) struts to adjust the wings? I broke one of the outer struts and was considering replacing them with balsa.

Thanks
TPCrowell is offline Find More Posts by TPCrowell
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2010, 01:16 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPCrowell View Post
Good afternoon,

I am running a Hacker A10-7L motor turning an EP 7060 prop with a 480 mAh Thunder Power Pro Lite V2 battery pack. I am using a Castle Thunderbird #9 ESC and the receiver is a Spektrum AR500 with three Hitech HS-55 servos.

How much oposing incidence should I have? Any thoughts on how to lossen the cabane (?) struts to adjust the wings? I broke one of the outer struts and was considering replacing them with balsa.

Thanks
Some people have had success drilling the carbon out. I prefer to open the wing remove the strut socket side walls with a debonding agent then use the debonder to remove the carbon. This way you don't change the depth of the sockets. If you built the wing and cut the carbon to spec. Inserted the carbon till it bottoms out in the socket. The wings should have the correct opposing incidence. The only thing you would need to tweak would be the lower wing trailing edge mount.

Based on your setup, I think you are tail heavy also. try a 730 2 S battery. I normally do not recommend HS55s for this model, they are too heavy. There are a lot of good servos on the market that are 6 grams and under. You could also try a 3S 480 but you will need a smaller prop.

Here are some great servos I have tested:

Power HD HD-1370A - Micro Servo
Power HD HD-1440A - Micro Servo
Power HD HD-1600A - Micro Servo
Futaba S110M - Micro Servo
Spektrum DSP60 - Sub-Micro Programmable Servo
JR S185 - Super High Speed Sub Micro 6 Gram Servo
Dymond D47 - Sub Micro Power Servo
Blue Arrow BA-TS-4.3 - Ultra-Micro Servo with S Connector

Avoid Blue Bird and Cirrus Micro servos.

Here is a link to a very good servo database:

http://www.servodatabase.com/servos/all?sort=weight

James
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2010, 11:41 AM
USA, FL, Hudson
Joined Dec 2009
196 Posts
Hi James,

I was wondering if you could explain a little more on the wing incidence. I have flown my bipe once and it was pretty scary.

I pretty much just tried to counter its movements best I could until it hit ground.

It balances as it should, I am using the x1806n with a 2s 720 batt. I had the adjustment set with the screws centered at 0 deg. I measured the distance between the center lines of the 2 wings and the distance is greater towards the trailing edge.
Troy S is offline Find More Posts by Troy S
Old Feb 06, 2010, 11:48 AM
I HOOVER because I SUCK!
Portland,Oregon U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2007
5,141 Posts
If anyone is interested in a 90% complete bipe, lmk

wont be able to finish this for various reasons, so wanted to see if anyone is interested in it

both wings are built and tail feathers

tail feathers and one wing covered

awaiting final assembly

is beautiful plane

but needs to go

lmk

mk
microkites is offline Find More Posts by microkites
Old Feb 06, 2010, 05:10 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy S View Post
Hi James,

I was wondering if you could explain a little more on the wing incidence. I have flown my bipe once and it was pretty scary.

I pretty much just tried to counter its movements best I could until it hit ground.

It balances as it should, I am using the x1806n with a 2s 720 batt. I had the adjustment set with the screws centered at 0 deg. I measured the distance between the center lines of the 2 wings and the distance is greater towards the trailing edge.
Every biplane I build flies best with the rear wing mount in the position shown. It is extremely important that the carbon be cut to the specified length as stated in the instructions. You have a tolerance of +/- .010".You can not have the wing struts cut 4 different lengths and expect good results. Additionally it is equally important that the carbon be pushed all the way to the bottom of the sockets and that the sockets not be modified in anyway that changes their depth or angle. If you follow these steps, the wings are already set at their correct apposing angles.

I hope this is helpful,

James
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2010, 12:18 AM
USA, FL, Hudson
Joined Dec 2009
196 Posts
Thanks James, this was my first build so I was very careful on the measurements and cutting the wing struts. I will adjust the settings as shown in the pic. That is quite a bit different location from where I am set at now.

Thanks,
Troy
Troy S is offline Find More Posts by Troy S
Old Feb 07, 2010, 11:02 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy S View Post
Thanks James, this was my first build so I was very careful on the measurements and cutting the wing struts. I will adjust the settings as shown in the pic. That is quite a bit different location from where I am set at now.

Thanks,
Troy
Does the bottom of your rear wing mount go all the way down to the bottom of the trailing edge piece? If it does not, you may need to extend the slot a little.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jkarpy; Feb 08, 2010 at 10:25 AM.
Old Feb 08, 2010, 07:54 PM
TPCrowell
Joined Apr 2007
7 Posts
Good evening,

Part of the problem I encountered was that the CA glue I used partially filleted two of the four holes for the struts, so I drilled them out with a properly sized drill and depended on the incidence meter to set the angles. All of the struts were cut to the right length, but without full size plans, I don't know the proper depth. Now that I have broken one of the struts, I am hosed if I can not use my incidence meter. SInce I normally build and fly 60 size nitro birds, it never occured to me that smaller would be more crucial in precision set-up.

MK, I am sorry that you won't be able to finish your plane. An unfinished plane is like an unfulfilled dream, or something like that. (An old clich'e) If I didn't already have a hanger full of planes & choppers, I would discuss terms for the little bipe. Good luck finding it a home.

Tom
Old Feb 08, 2010, 09:24 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPCrowell View Post
Good evening,

Part of the problem I encountered was that the CA glue I used partially filleted two of the four holes for the struts, so I drilled them out with a properly sized drill and depended on the incidence meter to set the angles. All of the struts were cut to the right length, but without full size plans, I don't know the proper depth. Now that I have broken one of the struts, I am hosed if I can not use my incidence meter. SInce I normally build and fly 60 size nitro birds, it never occured to me that smaller would be more crucial in precision set-up.

MK, I am sorry that you won't be able to finish your plane. An unfinished plane is like an unfulfilled dream, or something like that. (An old clich'e) If I didn't already have a hanger full of planes & choppers, I would discuss terms for the little bipe. Good luck finding it a home.

Tom
Hi Tom, I made this drawing maybe it will clear things up for you. I will be sure and revisit my kit to see if I can improve the wing mounting. If I can help you with some spare parts so you can fix the struts, I will be happy to do so. I would really like for you to have a good experience with the Micro SSX biplane. The attached drawing is to scale (1X) so you should be able to print it full size.

Sincerely,

James
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2010, 07:39 PM
TPCrowell
Joined Apr 2007
7 Posts
Thank you Sir! It will be a few days till I will have time to work on the little Bipe, but your diagram will aid greatly in the process.

Thanks,

Tom
Old Mar 08, 2010, 11:48 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,490 Posts
Hello All,

I have been reading up on the posts as I just picked up the micro ssx bipe at perry earlier this week (THANKS JAMES AND FAMILY!!)

I have questions regarding aileron setup. Are most people setting this up with 1 servo per wing or one servo in one wing and slaving to the other wing's ailerons?

Ideally, I would like to use one servo on the top wing directly linked to right top wing aileron and slave to the bottom right aileron. Then I would mount one servo in bottom wing, directly link it to bottom left aileron, then slaving the top left aileron. I have only seen one other example of this in the posts, but was curious if anyone else has given this a try. It would allow for more interesting programing like flaperons.

the weight of servos does concern me...
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snuggles Speaks
Old Mar 08, 2010, 12:11 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
Hello All,

I have been reading up on the posts as I just picked up the micro ssx bipe at perry earlier this week (THANKS JAMES AND FAMILY!!)

I have questions regarding aileron setup. Are most people setting this up with 1 servo per wing or one servo in one wing and slaving to the other wing's ailerons?

Ideally, I would like to use one servo on the top wing directly linked to right top wing aileron and slave to the bottom right aileron. Then I would mount one servo in bottom wing, directly link it to bottom left aileron, then slaving the top left aileron. I have only seen one other example of this in the posts, but was curious if anyone else has given this a try. It would allow for more interesting programing like flaperons.

the weight of servos does concern me...
I always use two servos and control top and bottom independently. I have not tried flaps yet but have considered it although it does not need flaps. Servo weight is not an issue as long as you use 6 gram or less servos. I use 4.7 gram servos.

Thank you for choosing Millennium R/C,

James
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2010, 12:19 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarpy View Post
I always use two servos and control top and bottom independently. I have not tried flaps yet but have considered it although it does not need flaps. Servo weight is not an issue as long as you use 6 gram or less servos. I use 4.7 gram servos.

Thank you for choosing Millennium R/C,

James
Wow, less than 30 mins for an answer! Thanks...
As per your advice, I am going to nix the flaps and rig it as you specify.

And I will also use the Power HD 1440A High Performance MicroServos as you suggested.

thanks.
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snuggles Speaks
Old Mar 18, 2010, 01:21 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Center cross strut details

Here are some picture that show the center cross struts installed.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 01, 2010, 10:00 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Tip

biplanes fly better when the upper and lower wings are at an apposing incidence. Two wings will form a slight arrow going forward. You can achieve this by shortening the two front center wing struts and the two front outer wing struts by about 1/16" if you already cut the carbon.
My latest instructions have you add 1/16" to the rear wing struts.
RCG Plus Member