SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 02, 2001, 07:17 AM
Helsinki, Finland
Joined May 2001
2 Posts
Ready for the first flight with Pico Cub

Hi everyone,

I'm from Helsinki (Finland) an anxiously waiting for a calm evening (living in seaside) to get my Pico Cup on the air for the first time! I'm already in my mid 30's and last time I was working with any kind of models was some 20 years ago.

OK. I did have some probs with the Pico Cub kit but I think I managed to build the model OK (after all).

I'm asking if anyone has had similar problems with their electric motors/speed controllers as I have experienced.

First of all I did a mistake by not checking the motor before assembling it and now it just seems to be "dead" most of the time and only after hard trying "getting alive" (it's working fine when it finally works).

I have connected the speed controller in channel 2 on the Multiplex receiver and the servos are working just fine. As the dealer instructed me I have tried to overcome with the problem by by giving it "impuls" by simultaneuosly using the servos on the other channels. This method has helped every now and then but most of the time the motor is just "dead"! [The battery is OK and fully charged by several times.]

Any ideas?

It's been great fun to read all the previous messages.

Janne

janne jarvinen is offline Find More Posts by janne jarvinen
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2001, 07:29 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,674 Posts
Hi Janne

Welcome to the ezone - another Pico Cubber eh - great stuff

The dealer's advice seems a little strange to me - all three controls should work entirely independently unless you have set up some obscure mixing on your transmitter.

I'm not familiar with the channel layout of the Multiplex Rx - is Channel #2 really the throttle channel? Your ESC should be plugged into the throttle channel. On all of my receivers (Futaba, Hitec, Jeti, GWS) that is Channel #3. Aileron is on #1, Elevator #2, Throttle#3 and Rudder on #4.

If flying the Pico Cub on Rudder (your main turning control in this case), elevator and throttle then (with these receivers) you would have the rudder servo in #1, elevator in #2 and throttle in #3. Are you sure about the channel assignments on your receiver?

Which ESC are you using- does it require a particular throttle control position to be set when you switch on??

Are you using the motor direct drive or through a gearbox?

Are your soldered connections to the motor okay?? Dry joint maybe??

I'm sure we can get it sorted out with a little experimentation.

cheers

Brian
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old May 02, 2001, 07:31 AM
Pontypridd, Wales, UK
Joined Oct 2000
403 Posts
Hi, Janne.
You have certainly come to the right place to ask this question. I will let people who know more about your problem answer this one, but I know that the first thing that they will ask is "What Speed Controller do you use", as this problem seems Speed Controller related.
Be assured that when the Pico Cub is fixed it is a sweet flying model, but make sure that the wind is calm (5 mph or less) or you will find it "hanging" in the air whilst pointing into wind!
PS I assume you are using the Speed 400 in Direct Drive mode? If you have the necessary funds, invest in a Multiplex geared 400 set (About 12.00 here in the UK). This improves the Cub performance noticeably.

Clive.
Clive Henry Jones is offline Find More Posts by Clive Henry Jones
Old May 03, 2001, 02:33 AM
Helsinki, Finland
Joined May 2001
2 Posts
Hello Brian,

Thank you for your comments. Last night was too windy again to try the take off and this afternoon I'm traveling to country side to spend the coming weekend there and should also take the Pico Cub with me (unfortunately I do not have internet over there).

As you figured I have bought a complete Multiplex kit from the local dealer (incl. Multiplex transmitter, micro servos, Micro IPD -7CH- receiver + the Pico Cub).

The motor is direct drive and as the speed control unit (Multiplex Pico-Line Control 400/20/12) came with the kit I have therefore connected it to the motor by using the normal coupler (no dry joint).

Since I would like to operate the rudder and elevator with my right hand fingers I have used channels 1 (for the rudder) and 4( for the elevator).

Last night I also tried to connect the speed control on CH 3 but it did not work any better.

Furthermore I do not know if the speed control requires any spesific position to be set since the instructions omit to provide any such information.

This morning I agreed that I will take the speed control back to the dealer and shall try with another one. Hope it helpes!

Best Regards,

Janne

Quote:
Originally posted by leccyflyer:
Hi Janne

Welcome to the ezone - another Pico Cubber eh - great stuff

The dealer's advice seems a little strange to me - all three controls should work entirely independently unless you have set up some obscure mixing on your transmitter.

I'm not familiar with the channel layout of the Multiplex Rx - is Channel #2 really the throttle channel? Your ESC should be plugged into the throttle channel. On all of my receivers (Futaba, Hitec, Jeti, GWS) that is Channel #3. Aileron is on #1, Elevator #2, Throttle#3 and Rudder on #4.

If flying the Pico Cub on Rudder (your main turning control in this case), elevator and throttle then (with these receivers) you would have the rudder servo in #1, elevator in #2 and throttle in #3. Are you sure about the channel assignments on your receiver?

Which ESC are you using- does it require a particular throttle control position to be set when you switch on??

Are you using the motor direct drive or through a gearbox?

Are your soldered connections to the motor okay?? Dry joint maybe??

I'm sure we can get it sorted out with a little experimentation.

cheers

Brian
janne jarvinen is offline Find More Posts by janne jarvinen